PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Wireless Router Installation

Talynz
January 17th, 2010, 04:15 AM
Ok so i'm getting a wireless router (probably a linksys or belkin) for a wifi spot for a iPod Touch and a ps3...I have one simple question. Will the installation disc that comes with the router work with Ubuntu? Or what will I have to do? I'm relatively new to ubuntu, but not really a complete noob so will you please explain if I have to use terminal or anything like that. Thank you guys and gals!!

pirateghost
January 17th, 2010, 04:17 AM
Ok so i'm getting a wireless router (probably a linksys or belkin) for a wifi spot for a iPod Touch and a ps3...I have one simple question. Will the installation disc that comes with the router work with Ubuntu? Or what will I have to do? I'm relatively new to ubuntu, but not really a complete noob so will you please explain if I have to use terminal or anything like that. Thank you guys and gals!!

you dont NEED an installation disc. it does nothing that you cant do yourself. its simply an idiot's way of interfacing with the router, you can get way more functionality out of going to the routers configuration webpage (usually http://192.168.1.1 or similar)

TBABill
January 17th, 2010, 04:22 AM
Agreed with the above. If you're not familiar with the router, follow the advice above. If prompted for a password, most default to 'admin' for login and 'admin' for password, or 'admin' for login and 'password' for password.

Write down that URL also. You will most certainly need it at a later time if you ever need to access the router to make changes or restore settings....192.168.1.1 from any browser.

No CD required for a router normally.

sgosnell
January 17th, 2010, 05:57 AM
Yep, plug it in and it should work. You'll need to configure it for security and personalization, but as long as you read the fine manual, you should have no major problems. You access the router through your browser. Use an ethernet connection for the configuration, because you'll have to reset the router a few times, and you may not be able to reach it immediately through wireless. Set a new password for accessing the router, and for the wireless internet access, and make them different. Use WPA2 security, not WEP. Consider using MAC filtering, but it's not essential. Again, read the fine manual.

JackRock
January 17th, 2010, 06:09 AM
On some routers, the address is slightly different. On mine (Belkin wireless), the IP is 192.168.2.1.

sgosnell
January 17th, 2010, 07:52 AM
Yes, the default IP for the router may vary slightly, from 192.168.0.1 (often used by the DSL modem) to 192.168.2.2, but it can be changed in the settings after the initial access. That's why I suggested reading the fine manual that comes with the router.

sliketymo
January 17th, 2010, 11:14 AM
+1 to all the above.Most likely it will be a windows installation disk anyway and wouldn't work,also some of them add Adobe Reader on you in windows if your not careful.