PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] reformat hard drive?

Gnusboy
January 17th, 2010, 02:52 AM
I had Ubuntu 9.04 installed and it is corrupted. I have tried re-installing 9.04 and it fails.
I have tried to install Ubuntu 9.10 from a CD and it fails or hangs at some point with an error message similar to "Error removing Ubiquity-frontend-gtk subprocess pre-removal script returned error. Exist status 139
another message says to look at /var/log/syslog but I cannot get into that file.
It seems that every fix I can find in the documentation and forums leads to something different in the documentation.
And I still cannot get either version to install. When the installation fails, the system locks up and I have to do a hard reboot.
sometimes it hangs on the formatting process and other times it goes further before it locks up.
Is 9.10 a complete install or just an upgrade? I thought all stable versions could do a clean install, but all the repeated attempts have failed. The last time it showed several logical drives and I'm not sure which is causing the failure.
Initially i had set up with 2 partitions, but after several failed attempts to save my data, I gave up and tried to install on the entire HDD, but it still does not work.
Do I need to reformat the entire hard drive to fix this?
9.04 worked perfectly before this.
I still do not know how to fix the problem.
My system is only 7 months old, so it should not be a hardware problem. Here are the specs.

AMD Phenom 4X Black on an ASUS M3A78-EM motherboard
4 gigs ram
640 GB WD harddrive
Sony Optiarc 24X burner

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks

fancypiper
January 17th, 2010, 07:35 AM
Did you do an md5sum on your downloaded ISO to be sure you got a good download?
Have you tried the check disk before installing to make sure you got a good burn?