PDA

View Full Version : What's The Most Ubuntu Friendly Laptop?

Grendel336
January 17th, 2010, 02:26 AM
My Dell e1505 laptop died a sudden death when the motherboard crapped itself into oblivion.

So I'm searching for a new laptop.

Things like webcams, wireless, and wifi are important for the next purchase.

I know that most laptops can be customized to use Ubuntu, but what I'm wondering is which models are most compatible right out of the box?

Toshiba, Dell, Asus, Acer, HP, Lenovo ......

Are there some that are "better" than others right off the shelf?
Especially with today's newest technology?

Is there already a thread on this somewhere? Seems there should be a sticky on model numbers that are easiest to get running with Ubuntu.

Is there a list of sub-$1000 laptops around here that are Ubuntu compatible for the newest of newbs?

AlexDBall
January 17th, 2010, 02:34 AM
Hi, if you live in the US you can check System76 http://system76.com/. they're selling Ubuntu dedicated machines! (Desktops/Laptops/Servers).

If you want something else, you could buy from Dell as they have laptops with ubuntu pre-installed. I do not own a Dell though and cannot be certain about compatibility.
I think, even HP sells Ubuntu preconfigured laptops (not quite sure..)

From personal experience though, i have installed Ubuntu on IBM/Lenovo Thinkpads.
Models:R30,T30,T41,T42,T43,T60,T61,T400

I know that the list of these laptops range from old PIII's to recent Dual Cores, but i'm just mentioning them as i had no issue whatsoever with these laptops. (except the R30 which that's another story).

Hopefully you will get a lot of answers from these forums!

Grendel336
January 17th, 2010, 02:57 AM
Thanks.

My guess is that 9.1 has addressed a lot of basic compatibility issues and that most laptops are now pretty easy to operate with Ubuntu.

But I do want to get some feedback from the "experts".

Can anybody tell me about Ubuntu experience with Asus laptops?

Anybody with this model? (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220693) <-- clicky

lev-unr
January 17th, 2010, 05:33 AM
I would also reccommend system76 http://www.system76.com

A lot of great things. They have many different features and options. Since they are designed for linux right out of the box, most of the hardware works without a hitch.

They have everything from a 10" Netbook to a 17" Powerhouse!

Dell also comes out of the box working well - but right now they only have the mini 10 with ubuntu pre installed. Which is a shame.

Did you check out the hardware compatability list? Good stuff on there and lots of advice. If you decide to go with something that is not "pre-loaded" with ubuntu then just read around up there and see which issues you can live with the most. Most laptops work great and have a few minor kinks. For example my lenovo s-10 2 netbook works amazingly but I have trouble with the microphone. Something I can live with and am willing to sacrifice to stay away from XP. :D Good luck! Let us know what you decide to pick up.

MelDJ
January 17th, 2010, 07:10 AM
my dell studio 1555 works great. just had to install the graphic card and thats all

Nerd King
January 17th, 2010, 07:40 AM
Tbh most stuff works these days. Check the internals, the occasional broadcom wifi can cause problems but I've found most laptops just work.

xuCGC002
January 17th, 2010, 07:47 AM
Either Dell or System76. Dell is slightly less expensive at the base, but the System76 laptops seem to have more bang for your buck at the middle-end range.

HermanAB
January 17th, 2010, 10:38 AM
Howdy,

Most machines work without issues. I usually just buy whatever I want and usually it is OK. Worst case, you may have to wait till the next year for some stupid thing to be resolved, but that hasn't happened to me in years.

humphreybc
January 17th, 2010, 11:26 AM
Hmm. Just my two cents:

My main computer is a Toshiba A200 laptop. Everything runs fine, except the fglrx drivers for my HD2600, my bluetooth and my remote control. Oh and my CD/DVD drive is temperamental.

It may seem like it's terrible but actually it's not. I've had no problems with sound, display, HDMI out, touchpad, wireless, webcam, mic, card reader, USB devices, printing, multimedia keys etc. It's very usable.

I wouldn't recommend my laptop if I was buying a new one though. I installed Ubuntu on my mum's computer, which is an Asus and it works fine. I would buy Dell or Sony for my next laptop.