PDA

View Full Version : Programmers needed in new project I created

k64
January 17th, 2010, 12:15 AM
I need some programmers in a new community project that I created on Launchpad: https://launchpad.net/devicematic/

Especially since I am new. I am better at directing a community than writing code.

CptPicard
January 17th, 2010, 12:32 AM
Especially since I am new. I am better at directing a community than writing code.

Then learn to write code, and write interesting beginnings that are useful, and then people will possibly contribute. FOSS projects never need a "boss" first... :)

Senesence
January 17th, 2010, 12:45 AM
I need some programmers in a new community project that I created on Launchpad: https://launchpad.net/devicematic/

Your chances of attracting serious developers would be higher if you did something on your own first.

Heh, everyone wants to be the leader. :)

Anyway, I don't see how you can coordinate a group of Open Source programmers if you yourself know nothing, or very little about programming.

I mean, there's more to being a project leader than just writing a wish-list.

You should try to do a few smaller projects on your own first, and then get involved in a smaller Open Source project, do some good work there, and then I think you'll be ready to give something like this a try.

*Edit

Ah, CptPicard beat me to it.

sliketymo
January 17th, 2010, 01:37 AM
Might be a good idea to graduate from High School,go to a good Tech School,learn a few programming,leadership skills,do a little actual work in the field,before embarking on such an ambitious project.Ah,to be 16 again! Good luck !

k64
January 17th, 2010, 01:39 AM
Might be a good idea to graduate from High School,go to a good Tech School,learn a few programming,leadership skills,do a little actual work in the field,before embarking on such an ambitious project.Ah,to be 16 again! Good luck !

Okay, I do know SOME C++. And I do know most of the fundamentals. And I do have documentation on the Kernel API. I should read it more, then get back later.

I also have a C++ book, but it's for Microsoft Visual.

deer dance
January 17th, 2010, 06:13 AM
You book has a value equivalent to that of a spork here.

lavinog
January 17th, 2010, 07:40 AM

How is having the kernel automatically installing drivers better than the current method?

There will most likely be some security/stability issues with this.

Have you thought about submitting your idea on brainstorm?

mdurham
January 17th, 2010, 08:52 AM
The goal of this project is to bring to Linux the end of all driver headaches using the Kernel API to design drivers. The only differences between this and GUI-based designers are
This sounds interesting to me k64, do I understand correctly? "Use Kernel API to design drivers." How does that work?
One more question. Where can I see/get a GUI-based designer?

Cheers, Mike

richardjennings
January 17th, 2010, 08:57 AM
I'm not sure I understand.

Is the intention to design device drivers automatically?

If you want to develop Artificial Intelligence capable of learning how to reverse engineer hardware, you probably should be talking to the NSA or NASA :p

matchett808
January 17th, 2010, 09:30 PM
give me a pm if you are interested in steering the project in a slightly different direction (by using the info for windows drivers...)

Senesence
January 17th, 2010, 11:56 PM
If you want to develop Artificial Intelligence capable of learning how to reverse engineer hardware, you probably should be talking to the NSA or NASA :p

Heh, actually, I doubt that the personnel in either of those organizations could help you any more than a regular on some Scheme mailing list.

TV shows and movies are one thing, but in reality, it's just people working on project P, that has requirements R, all in the scope of some greater strategy S; regular, college educated people, who have to read the documentation -> just like everyone else.

PS: ENHANCE! :D