PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] LiveCDs won't work.

Zucriy Amsuna
January 17th, 2010, 12:06 AM
I have a Windows ME (Mistake Edition) that I wish to convert to Linux. My two choices are Ubuntu and Xubuntu; the system has the proper requirements for both. I made the two LiveCDs so I could test both of them and choose which one I liked more. However, both CDs do nothing. The Ubuntu one appears empty when I look at it on this computer (and is fine on my XP); the Xubuntu one appears normal. Yet both CDs do nothing when I boot the computer.

Is there something I can do to make them work? Or do I have to turn to another way to install Linux? Thanks.

wojox
January 17th, 2010, 12:13 AM
Just to clarify, you have the computer set to boot off the cd-drive first?

Zucriy Amsuna
January 17th, 2010, 12:35 AM
I'm not sure. I've been trying to get into the Setup for a while. F2 doesn't work, Esc doesn't work... I can't find an alternative.

Ex-windows
January 17th, 2010, 12:44 AM
Did you try hitting the "delete" key or possible f8 ( I think)

Zucriy Amsuna
January 17th, 2010, 12:48 AM
Edit: I got into the Setup, and the CD-ROM was already at the top of the Boot list. The CD still does nothing.

Ex-windows
January 17th, 2010, 01:10 AM
OK How about the cd rom drive r u sure it is working properly. And did you burn the cd as an iso? you might try testing them in another comp and see what happens. Good luck

PS was that the boot devices list or the "Boot Order" list?

Zucriy Amsuna
January 17th, 2010, 01:16 AM
The CD-ROM drive works; it reads other CDs, and it just made four data CDs yesterday.

I extracted the CD files from the .iso and put them on the CDs that way. (Or was I supposed to simply put the .iso on the CD just as it is--an .iso? To me, that would make no sense, though; .iso files are formed from CDs, not taken from them.)

The CDs work on my WinXP laptop and appear to be fine with it. They just do nothing with WinME.

Edit: The list... From the BIOS Setup Utility, I went to Boot Options, Boot Device Priority, and there's the list. The "1st Boot Device" is the CD-ROM drive, the second being a removable device, and the third is the hard drive.

snowpine
January 17th, 2010, 01:18 AM
What are the hardware specs of the system, and have you tested the CDs on another computer?

snowpine
January 17th, 2010, 01:20 AM
The CD-ROM drive works; it reads other CDs, and it just made four data CDs yesterday.

I extracted the CD files from the .iso and put them on the CDs that way. (Or was I supposed to simply put the .iso on the CD just as it is--an .iso? To me, that would make no sense, though; .iso files are formed from CDs, not taken from them.)

The CDs work on my WinXP laptop and appear to be fine with it. They just do nothing with WinME.

Edit: The list... From the BIOS Setup Utility, I went to Boot Options, Boot Device Priority, and there's the list. The "1st Boot Device" is the CD-ROM drive, the second being a removable device, and the third is the hard drive.

That won't work at all. :) Check out these directions:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BurningIsoHowto

Ex-windows
January 17th, 2010, 01:21 AM
Yes you need to burn it as an iso. Most folks like nero for this or there is irfanrecoder. i'm not to familiar with either as I usually use gnomebaker. But whatever you used b4 should have that option. Hope this will solve things for you

The above link from snowpine has great instructions.

Zucriy Amsuna
January 17th, 2010, 01:27 AM
Then why do the CDs work for my XP? All that those writing programs do is extract the files from the .iso and write them to the CD--basically what I did using Daemon Tools Lite and my default CD burner.

Edit: Or am I wrong? Should I try ISO Recorder or InfraRecorder just in case? (I burned the CDs on my XP because it is much faster.)

Edit2: I was wrong. ISO Recorder worked. Thanks. ^_^

Edit3: But now the Ubuntu disk doesn't work. When I try to do anything when the screen pops up, an "I/O error" window pops up and says "Error reading boot CD."