PDA

View Full Version : [wubi] Vista+wubi 9.04 upgrade to Windows 7+wubi: best method?

ibexslam
January 16th, 2010, 11:03 PM
About a year ago, we bought two new 64-bit desktop computers which came with Vista whether we liked it or not. I used Wubi to install Ubuntu 9.04. This was has worked out very well for us. We're hooked!

As we occasionally are forced to do one thing or another with Windows, we decided to upgrade to Windows 7. So, now we're ready (I think) to make that happen.

My question is, what's the most painless way to do this?

Ideally, we'd do the Vista > 7 "install in place" and our Wubi'd Jackalope would still be there, ready to get back to work. But I'm worried that it'll be more complicated than that. Surely someone, somewhere, has done this by now.

Will the Window 7 install obliterate our Jackalopes? Will it still be there, but un-Grubbable? Should we back up our home folders (which we'll do anyway) and do a fresh Wubi install, then reload the home folders? Does that work, or will we have to fiddle with our settings and such all over again? Should we stick with 9.04 and avoid 9.10, which one person called "the Vista of Ubuntu?" (We were never able to get 9.10 to work on a new laptop.)

Any replies, suggestions or dire warnings will be greatly appreciated.

I.

ibexslam
January 31st, 2010, 03:06 AM
And the answer is:

When you do the Vista > 7 "install in place" your Wubi'd Jackalope is still there, ready to get back to work.

There you go.

I.