PDA

View Full Version : Firefox addons that lets you Google search from the url bar?

beastrace91
January 16th, 2010, 10:59 PM
Is there a firefox addon that causes the URL bar to do a Google Search for the entered text if it is not a URL like Chrome does by default? I switch back and forth between the two so often and this is one feature I really miss in firefox.

Regards,
~Jeff

dragos240
January 16th, 2010, 11:00 PM
It has that by default! I do google searches from the URL (address) bar all the time!

SuperSonic4
January 16th, 2010, 11:00 PM
Firefox does this already

nilarimogard
January 16th, 2010, 11:27 PM
However, the Omnibar Firefox add-on lets you swith the search engine you use to search in your url bar: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/8823

spupy
January 16th, 2010, 11:38 PM
However, the Omnibar Firefox add-on lets you swith the search engine you use to search in your url bar: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/8823

Why does no one know about search keywords? In the menu where you select the search engine for the search bar, there is "Manage Search Engines". You can add keywords for each search site. Like 'g' for google, 'w' for wikipedia, 'y' for yahoo, and so on. Then you can type in the address bar:

g lolcats and rolfdogs
and it will seach with Google.

nilarimogard
January 16th, 2010, 11:48 PM
While that works in the Omnibar FF add-on too, I wasn't talking about the search box, but about omnibar which integrates both the search box and the url bar.

doorknob60
January 17th, 2010, 09:07 AM
+1 for Omnibar. After using Chromium for about a month, switching back to Firefox was impossible until I installed it since I kept typing searches into the URL bar and it was so annoying lol.

RabbitWho
January 17th, 2010, 10:02 AM

you can change that in about:config.. can't remember where though.

I don't see the point in installing a whole program when it's already a feature.

spupy
January 17th, 2010, 01:15 PM
+1 for Omnibar. After using Chromium for about a month, switching back to Firefox was impossible until I installed it since I kept typing searches into the URL bar and it was so annoying lol.

Ok, I will repeat this again.
You can search in Firefox with all installed search engines by typing in the URL bar. It is a built-in feature called search engine keywords. Chrome has this feature as well.
Although you can't search in multiple engines like with omnibar.

Xbehave
January 17th, 2010, 01:50 PM
Why does no one know about search keywords? In the menu where you select the search engine for the search bar, there is "Manage Search Engines". You can add keywords for each search site. Like 'g' for google, 'w' for wikipedia, 'y' for yahoo, and so on. Then you can type in the address bar:

g lolcats and rolfdogs
and it will seach with Google.
+1, I've seen this feature requested so many times it's not even funny and it has been in firefox since as far back as I can remember, maybe they should use some by default but all this talk of chrome or addons makes me want to ](*,) because what OP is talking about is already in your default firefox install.