PDA

View Full Version : Ready to delete Windows:Help make me do it!

Compintuit
January 16th, 2010, 10:52 PM
Hello, everyone! I'm proud to say I've now replicated all windows functionality I care about on linux. I'm ready to kill it. But, when I open up gparted, I just can't make myself remove its partition. It's just a 10GB waste on my 80GB drive...it needs to go. Please, make me mad at Microsoft; and with that vengeful anger, I shall purge Microsoft from my computer forever!

dragos240
January 16th, 2010, 10:58 PM
Hello, everyone! I'm proud to say I've now replicated all windows functionality I care about on linux. I'm ready to kill it. But, when I open up gparted, I just can't make myself remove its partition. It's just a 10GB waste on my 80GB drive...it needs to go. Please, make me mad at Microsoft; and with that vengeful anger, I shall purge Microsoft from my computer forever!

Write a shell scrip that deletes the script, and put it on a cron job. I bet you that you can put the cron job at random.

hoppipolla
January 16th, 2010, 11:07 PM
rofl best thread ever! Ok I can do this:

Just think about Internet Explorer, DRM, registry errors, Vista, security updates, anti-virus, Steve Ballmer, blue screens, pop-up security warnings RIGHT in the middle of doing something or playing a game!, forced system restarts.... etc etc!

Although having said all that, if you think you may still have a use for Windows then dual-booting is always an option, you don't have to fully commit one way or the other :)

chris200x9
January 16th, 2010, 11:08 PM

microsoft kills puppies, if you don't delete it YOU have indirectly lead to thousands of puppies deaths... can you live with that? CAN YOU?!!!!!!!!!!

lev-unr
January 16th, 2010, 11:10 PM
Take a deep breath, relax, and remember all the good that you will bring into the world the moment you hit the delete button.

If you dont do it for yourself then at least do it for the children... just think of the children!:D

Ric_NYC
January 16th, 2010, 11:15 PM
Do it... NOW!
http://img706.imageshack.us/img706/91/unclesam2.gif

alwayshere
January 16th, 2010, 11:17 PM
keep ya windows why cant ya just have both at the end of the daythere are things that windows can do that windows cant due to copywrite crap so windows is bound to come in handy sometime .I have been using linux for about 5 years now as my main o.s but I still have an old xp pc sitting about just in case but I never really have to use it that often.

baddog144
January 16th, 2010, 11:18 PM
Angels will sing your name. You will be remembered for ever.
Blah, blah blah.
Just do it.
:D

TheNessus
January 16th, 2010, 11:19 PM
You're writing an important paper. Your words flow from your hands into the keyboard like water on a beautiful stream, you can't be stopped; you're a force to be reckoned with, you write the best paper the world has ever seen.

That is, until you press 'Enter' for a new papragraph, when suddenly you discover you have just OK'd a system restart. All is doomed.

Pinoy915
January 16th, 2010, 11:19 PM
In any case, wine and virtualbox can lend a helping hand if needed.

fatleader
January 16th, 2010, 11:23 PM
hahaha yeah i agree.
iv been running vista for only half a month, and yet, it is already dying on me.

and maintaining the os running is such a pain with all that disc cleaning, defragging, registry scanning, stupid antivirus updates, more scanning, unexpected reboots, more scanning, and manually updating.

get rid of it now before it eats your refrigerator for resources.

fatleader
January 16th, 2010, 11:26 PM
You're writing an important paper. Your words flow from your hands into the keyboard like water on a beautiful stream, you can't be stopped; you're a force to be reckoned with, you write the best paper the world has ever seen.

That is, until you press 'Enter' for a new papragraph, when suddenly you discover you have just OK'd a system restart. All is doomed.

The thought made me go into depression.

xuCGC002
January 16th, 2010, 11:27 PM
shrink it and keep it. just in case.

sailthesea
January 16th, 2010, 11:30 PM
If you died at your computer Windows would eat your corpse You don't really want that do you?
Get tere first!;)

oedipuss
January 17th, 2010, 12:02 AM
This vid will make you delete the partition, remove the disc it was on and burn it. XD
Either that or you'll just love it for it's sheer cheesiness, I can't really decide myself ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGO2hVA3P58

XubuRoxMySox
January 17th, 2010, 12:37 AM
If you play a Windows installation disk backwards, a Satanic voice commands you to kill puppies!

C'mon, now. Ain't this against the Code of Conduct here, bashing another OS?

I keep Win around on one of my three 'puters, because there simply are some things that it does (or does better) than my 'nix boxes. It ain't evil, or it wouldn't own 90-something % of the market.

If you can do everything you need to do in Linux, and you don't anticipate needing to do anything else in the future that you can only do (or do well) in Windows, then cool. Wipe it away. But keep the disk.

If only to cull the puppy population. :/

-Robin

Dr. C
January 17th, 2010, 12:50 AM

A forgotten Windows partition on an otherwise actively used GNU / Linux system is a far worse fate for Windows than simply deleting the partition. It is like comparing a slow painful death over a period of several months (or is it years?) to a quick painless death. So please show some mercy towards Microsoft and delete your Windows partition.

NoaHall
January 17th, 2010, 12:52 AM
What on earth is this thread about?
OP, if you don't want Windows any more, boot the live disk, use gparted to wipe the windows partition clean, then resize your /home/ partition using the left over space from the Windows partition. That's all ANYONE in this thread needed to say.

oedipuss
January 17th, 2010, 01:01 AM
What on earth is this thread about?
OP, if you don't want Windows any more, boot the live disk, use gparted to wipe the windows partition clean, then resize your /home/ partition using the left over space from the Windows partition. That's all ANYONE in this thread needed to say.

And yet they did not

AllRadioisDead
January 17th, 2010, 01:13 AM
Why do you need us?
If you want to install linux, do it.
I don't see the point of this thread.

nerdy_kid
January 17th, 2010, 01:19 AM
anyone who made the zune needs to do die somewhere.
MS made zune...
KILL IT!

XubuRoxMySox
January 17th, 2010, 01:20 AM
I don't see the point of this thread.

Here y'go:

apt-get install sense-of-humor

-Robin

Compintuit
January 17th, 2010, 01:28 AM
Well, thanks everyone! I was incited into a homicidal rage, and have smiten the last vestiges of windows from my computer. Not only that, but should some reason ever happen to make me want it back, I have lots of reasons to refer back to as to why it's better dead. For your satisfaction:

Techsnap
January 17th, 2010, 01:30 AM
If you want to install it again, just do it, you don't need people on a forum to give you reasons not to because you're obviously not sure yourself.

pwnst*r
January 17th, 2010, 01:33 AM

If you need encouragement to remove windows, you're not "ready".

pwnst*r
January 17th, 2010, 01:34 AM
Here y'go:

-Robin

That's not what it was about at all.

dragos240
January 17th, 2010, 01:36 AM
Here y'go:

apt-get install sense-of-humor-Robin

My repo doesn't have that package. They removed it in order to save space.

CJ Master
January 17th, 2010, 01:37 AM
That's not what it was about at all.

Yes it was.

NoaHall
January 17th, 2010, 01:38 AM
Yes it was.

Well, it wasn't very funny. It sounded more like someone who was unsure about his own preferences, so asked a group of random people to tell him what he wanted.

pwnst*r
January 17th, 2010, 01:39 AM
Yes it was.

Oh. Well, it wasn't funny at all.

HangukMiguk
January 17th, 2010, 01:44 AM
Two words made me remove that partition: Windows Defender.

falconindy
January 17th, 2010, 02:14 AM
If you play a Windows installation disk backwards, a Satanic voice commands you to kill puppies!
Oh come on, that's nothing. If you play it forwards, it installs Windows.

/obligatory

JDShu
January 17th, 2010, 02:17 AM
Oh come on, that's nothing. If you play it forwards, it installs Windows.

/obligatory

This thread belongs to you XD

AlexDBall
January 17th, 2010, 02:26 AM
Well i know that reading this thread would be somehow a "waste of time" (no offence to anyone!)but i did it. Although i might be wasting your time with this reply! ;)

Of course you don't need the opinion of every user on a forum, but quite understandable is that you may be seeking for recommendations, making a joke-thread or whatever..

At the end of the day, it doesn't really matter if you leave your Windows Partition or delete it.. It's your computer and you are free to use it however you wish. But... Proprietary Software take this right from you from the moment you buy it. Free Software on the other hand gives you the right to be in charge of your computer in terms or Running the software,Modifying it to your needs,Freely distributing the software and Improving it and again distributing your improved version...

Don't take this in an offensive way, i know i might be off topic but this is what made me switch from Proprietary software (Windows) in the first place!

Whatever the decision you make (made already) is up to you, as long as you feel comfortable with it!:)

The bad thing is that, although they are many many options and alternatives.. no OS/Software is totally perfect!

chriswyatt
January 17th, 2010, 02:57 AM

Did you get something to replicate the occasional blue screen of death then? Does such a program exist?

If not someone out there should write it, it would be a great way to ease the transition from Windows to Linux.

CJ Master
January 17th, 2010, 03:17 AM
set min_timer 1 = random(60)
timer(1):
set surface wholescreen = d_surface(d_getscreenwidth, d_getscreenheight)
d_fill_color(wholescreen, c_darkblue)
set min_timer 1 = random(60)
:timer

alexfish
January 17th, 2010, 03:34 AM
there you go

http://www.techreaders.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/Self-Destruct-Button.jpg

clonne4crw
January 17th, 2010, 03:57 AM
Oh! I know! You should make a Rube Goldberg device that'll press the [ENTER] key for you to delete it

sudoer541
January 17th, 2010, 05:17 AM
you should keep windows because you will need it someday.

I myself use ubuntu for browsing, word documents and music. But I do my important thing on windows such as iTunes to sync my iPod, MSN for video chat and other critical stuff.
So keep your windows, you will need it one day.

yester64
January 17th, 2010, 05:58 AM
you should keep windows because you will need it someday.

I myself use ubuntu for browsing, word documents and music. But I do my important thing on windows such as iTunes to sync my iPod, MSN for video chat and other critical stuff.
So keep your windows, you will need it one day.

lol, that makes windows kinda important.
I always look for solution to not use windows. There is always a solution. :)

sudoer541
January 17th, 2010, 06:32 AM
lol, that makes windows kinda important.
I always look for solution to not use windows. There is always a solution. :)

ok LOL+ could you suggest me an easy solution (easy as in point and click) for the following:

1) use a webcam to chat with family and friends over MSN.

2) sync my iPod Touch with music.

Please dont suggest wine and virtualbox because I dont bother using them because I prefer a solid solution (either dual boot or use a native program that does the job).

lets see if the "there is always a solution" rule apply here. I bet you, it does not apply.
btw thanks in advance if you give me a native and easy solution...sorry I know I am picky lol+ :D

yester64
January 17th, 2010, 06:43 AM
ok LOL+ could you suggest me an easy solution (easy as in point and click) for the following:

1) use a webcam to chat with family and friends over MSN.

2) sync my iPod Touch with music.

Please dont suggest wine and virtualbox because I dont bother using them because I prefer a solid solution (either dual boot or use a native program that does the job).

lets see if the "there is always a solution" rule apply here. I bet you, it does not apply.
btw thanks in advance if you give me a native and easy solution...sorry I know I am picky lol+ :D

Ok, here it goes.
Since i don't even use a webcam i can only assume. But i came up with this. Give it a try, unless you did already.

1) http://www.amsn-project.net/

2) Banshee suppose to do this as far as i know. At least syncing your tunes with the ipod. (i don't have an ipod).

So there is more guessing for me, but maybe it works. I cross my fingers :)

sudoer541
January 17th, 2010, 06:58 AM
Ok, here it goes.
Since i don't even use a webcam i can only assume. But i came up with this. Give it a try, unless you did already.

2) Banshee suppose to do this as far as i know. At least syncing your tunes with the ipod. (i don't have an ipod).

nope none of the apps worked, unfortunately.

pwnst*r
January 17th, 2010, 07:04 AM
Ok, here it goes.

lol

xuCGC002
January 17th, 2010, 08:03 AM
Ok, here it goes.

With webcam support still dodgy under Linux, I don't think that it'd be a very stable solution even if it worked.

To my knowledge the latest iPods do not work under Banshee, Amarok, Rhythmbox, or any other popular media player on Linux. And the iPod Touch must be jailbroken to sync, which may break compatibility for his apps, as well as render his device unstable.

Khakilang
January 17th, 2010, 08:39 AM
Window is just like Mistress expensive to keep but occasionally there is something you need that make you want to go back again and sometime there is also a risk of getting caught with your paints down or even worse you get virus. Your choice. Play safe or living at the edge.

Hetor
January 17th, 2010, 08:48 AM
I'm ready to kill it.

No you are not. If you were ready you would do that already.

RabbitWho
January 17th, 2010, 10:44 AM
I like Microsoft... I just prefer Linux.

Swagman
January 17th, 2010, 11:35 AM
We can show you the door Neo, But you must open it.

rookworm
January 17th, 2010, 11:41 AM
i'd keep it just to be safe; nothing's forcing you to use it.

Eisenwinter
January 17th, 2010, 11:51 AM
Here y'go:

-Robin
Here you go:

pacman -Rs fanboyism

blueturtl
January 17th, 2010, 12:26 PM
Think of all those poor people and their problems with power saving features on Linux.

My wife's laptop has a BIOS that was compiled with a Microsoft compiler. The compiler let the code through with errors that make it non standards compliant. This way, Windows is the only system that will ever properly work with it.

The Halloween memos show that Microsoft deliberated on how to break ACPI for users of other operating systems.

Deliberate sabotage or just bad products that make everyone's life hard? You decide.

Delete Windows. Or you don't care about suspend/resume. ;)

p.s. You can always reinstall if you think you made a mistake.

yester64
January 17th, 2010, 06:56 PM
nope none of the apps worked, unfortunately.

Sorry to hear. I really am.
In that case i will not buy an ipod for myself.
If i only had a use for a webcam, i've could try it myself. But i never had to. Sadly, i'll guess you need Windows. Bill Gates won. :(

sudoer541
January 19th, 2010, 01:41 AM
Ok, here it goes.

So you just proved me that "there is always a solution in linux" does not apply!

anyway thanks for trying.

sudoer541
January 19th, 2010, 01:56 AM
Sorry to hear. I really am.
In that case i will not buy an ipod for myself.
If i only had a use for a webcam, i've could try it myself. But i never had to. Sadly, i'll guess you need Windows. Bill Gates won. :(

btw I heard that empathy works well with webcams. I gave it a try when I had ubuntu 9.10 but it never worked.
I am not sure if its solved yet.
I cant live without using webcam on MSN, I have a family far away.
Same thing applies for my iPod touch, although I know Media monkey works well with iTouch but there is no native version for ubuntu.
But the worst part is: the Media monkey developers are asking if anyone wants media money on Linux, but no one responded and there is no demand for it from linux users (shame).
So I think ya windows is the best OS in the world since everything works perfectly on it. and yes the issue with viruses I think its pure myth! This applies to stability issues as well. Windows never crashed on me (weird) because if you are careful (go to trusted sites and download from trusted sources) you have nothing to worry about.
This may look crazy, but I NEVER got a spyware or any kind of malware on my windows xp machine. This applies to my family and friends as well. They which sites or download sources to trust.
btw I have no antivirus on my windows xp and I never liked using an antivirus.
so I guess if anyone had a virus or issues with windows should blame themselves.
to stick to the topic: I think the guy who wants to remove his windows OS should keep it!

yester64
January 19th, 2010, 03:08 AM
btw I heard that empathy works well with webcams. I gave it a try when I had ubuntu 9.10 but it never worked.
I am not sure if its solved yet.
I cant live without using webcam on MSN, I have a family far away.
Same thing applies for my iPod touch, although I know Media monkey works well with iTouch but there is no native version for ubuntu.
But the worst part is: the Media monkey developers are asking if anyone wants media money on Linux, but no one responded and there is no demand for it from linux users (shame).
So I think ya windows is the best OS in the world since everything works perfectly on it. and yes the issue with viruses I think its pure myth! This applies to stability issues as well. Windows never crashed on me (weird) because if you are careful (go to trusted sites and download from trusted sources) you have nothing to worry about.
This may look crazy, but I NEVER got a spyware or any kind of malware on my windows xp machine. This applies to my family and friends as well. They which sites or download sources to trust.
btw I have no antivirus on my windows xp and I never liked using an antivirus.
so I guess if anyone had a virus or issues with windows should blame themselves.
to stick to the topic: I think the guy who wants to remove his windows OS should keep it!

I just want to quickly reply.
Well, if i had all these things you run, then i would know perhaps a little more. Since i do not have any of them, i can't give a satisfactory answer, which is a shame.
Anyway, i am a gold member of media monkey and i will request it. :) Never looked for it.
Btw. why do you run linux anyhow if these core issues can't get resolved? Just curious and no i am not ranting.

jfloydb
January 19th, 2010, 03:43 AM

Just wait until the next Ubuntu "upgrade" comes out and you loose internet access; then you will wish you had kept Windows, if only to get back on this forum to try and find a "fix" for your broken Ubuntu.

That being said: don't get me wrong; I love Ubuntu.

sudoer541
January 19th, 2010, 04:27 AM
I just want to quickly reply.
Well, if i had all these things you run, then i would know perhaps a little more. Since i do not have any of them, i can't give a satisfactory answer, which is a shame.
Anyway, i am a gold member of media monkey and i will request it. :) Never looked for it.
Btw. why do you run linux anyhow if these core issues can't get resolved? Just curious and no i am not ranting.

I run Linux because of its superior security and easy installation of software.
Now, if you could do something about Media monkey I would greatly appreciate it!:D
Media monkey is a great program. On windows it loads my songs on my iPod touch. I would love it if a native version was release for ubuntu, plus I love ubuntu!.

Thank you in advance!:D

RiceMonster
January 19th, 2010, 04:36 AM
I run Linux because of its superior security and easy installation of software.
Now, if you could do something about Media monkey I would greatly appreciate it!:D
Media monkey is a great program. On windows it loads my songs on my iPod touch. I would love it if a native version was release for ubuntu, plus I love ubuntu!.

Thank you in advance!:D

Uhhhh... are you actually expecting him to be able to do something about Media Monkey?

pwnst*r
January 19th, 2010, 04:38 AM
Perhaps there are goods/services being exchanged.

sudoer541
January 19th, 2010, 07:33 PM
Uhhhh... are you actually expecting him to be able to do something about Media Monkey?

umm yeah I would appreciate it greatly!!!
If MM is ported to ubuntu I will be very happy.
Hell, I am even gonna buy the gold version if necessary!

NoaHall
January 19th, 2010, 07:39 PM
umm yeah I would appreciate it greatly!!!
If MM is ported to ubuntu I will be very happy.
Hell, I am even gonna buy the gold version if necessary!

Seriously, why do you have to demand everything?

sudoer541
January 20th, 2010, 01:15 AM

NoaHall, it looks like you need a hug lol!!!

humphreybc
January 20th, 2010, 12:57 PM
http://images-cdn01.associatedcontent.com/image/A4534/453474/150_453474.jpg

"Looks like you're about to delete Windows..."

Tristam Green
January 20th, 2010, 03:34 PM
This thread is childish.

Listen well, children, for I will tell you a tale of Windows, and of the big bad Ballmer, who axe-murdered children in their sleep as weregild for licensing fees incurred by their parents. I shall also tell the tale of Stallman the Bearded, Toe-Cheese Eater of Berkeley, who bested the Bad Ballmer in single combat.

sounds kinda dumb, doesn't it?

RiceMonster
January 20th, 2010, 04:28 PM

Because he's entitled to it!!!

sudoer541
January 20th, 2010, 04:54 PM
Because he's entitled to it!!!

Thank you.

:D