PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] upgraded 9.04 to 9.10, now how do i remove 9.04 & dual-boot?

alpacadaddy
January 16th, 2010, 09:03 PM
Good Day All!

I have both 9.04 & 9.10 installed & running with a dual-boot...now I want to remove 9.04 and go to a single-boot of 9.10...how do I do this?

I want to reclaim my disk space from the old OS as well...to make matters alittle messier, 9.10 was installed first...then after encountering trouble I installed 9.04 to see if it solved my problem...when I figured out how to solve problem it worked same on both releases...so I now want to remove 9.04 and stay with 9.10...but I don't want the uninstall of 9.04 to impact the 9.10 install...I would also like to adjust the partitions so that I can use all of the disk for 9.10 (including that which was used for 9.04 and it's swap file)...I hope this makes sense :/

thanks for following my twisted logic!

phil

arnab_das
January 16th, 2010, 09:05 PM
i dont think its possible ro reclaim the space u have on 9.04 without going for an all out format repartition.

you could keep those two OSes as is, until ur ready to go for the formatting and partitioning.

kansasnoob
January 16th, 2010, 09:12 PM
Good Day All!

I have both 9.04 & 9.10 installed & running with a dual-boot...now I want to remove 9.04 and go to a single-boot of 9.10...how do I do this?

I want to reclaim my disk space from the old OS as well...to make matters alittle messier, 9.10 was installed first...then after encountering trouble I installed 9.04 to see if it solved my problem...when I figured out how to solve problem it worked same on both releases...so I now want to remove 9.04 and stay with 9.10...but I don't want the uninstall of 9.04 to impact the 9.10 install...I would also like to adjust the partitions so that I can use all of the disk for 9.10 (including that which was used for 9.04 and it's swap file)...I hope this makes sense :/

thanks for following my twisted logic!

phil

It depends on the partitioning. Could you post a screenshot of Gparted and explain which partition is which?

If you used the automated resize (side-by-side) you might have only one primary partition at the beginning of the disc and that could cause heartaches.

Let's take time to give this a look before doing something reckless.