PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] any way I can mod this OS to get some different behaviour?

Søren
January 16th, 2010, 01:32 PM
I just installed this new Ubuntu - 9.10. Took me a while to get everything in order but for the most part everything is working now. It's annnoying having to log in all the time. Is there any way I can make it so I dont have to authenticate every 30 seconds? WHen i make a folder - authenticate, when I delete a file - authenticate, some tsks I want I to do ( i.e. move a folder) I cannot even find permission to authenticate. I am barred from doing things on my own computer! I do not enjoy this, I must have typed my password 1200 times today. It's great that Ubuntu is concerned about my security and all but this is just my PC. I am the only one who uses it, and I am not guarding national secrets on my hard drive.Preferably id like to not have to authenticate for anything.,can I get this some home> If not on Ubuntu, is there another Linux distro that is less obsessive about security?

I am having a problem getting groovy on grails set in my environment path:
in my terminal if i type

$gails

i get: JAVA_HOME is not defined correctly; can not execute: java

ok. wonderful. so i set the path:

export JAVA_HOME=/usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun-1.6.0.15

and then everything will work as supposed to:

$grails Welcome to Grails 1.1.1 - http://grails.org/
Licensed under Apache Standard License 2.0

This lasts until I close the terminal. When I start it up again the process has to be repeated. I would prefer it if I didnt have to set the environment every-time. How do I save it? I thought thats what "EXPORT" is supposed to do.

Also, when I start a torrent download, it sits idle for 10 minutes before it gets rolling. No big deal, just a bit weird. I start to search google " why isn't my transmission" working and then all of a sudden it will finally start working.

Does anybody know about emacs? I downloaded this thinking it was a code editor. So I asume this was a GUI type program. But there is no icon to start it anywhere and running from the command line does nothing.