PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Latest software packages

mhdbnoimi
January 16th, 2010, 01:19 PM
Hi All,

Default ubuntu repositories don't care a lot for latest versions of softwares so I'm wondering is there any solution for getting latest versions of installed software packages?

My friend uses Fedora and he can easily get latest versions by a single click! while in ubuntu I have to look for personal repositories in Launchpad.net for getting versions of some packages.

PS
I felt bead because I'm Qt developer and ubuntu repository has old version of Qt (4.5.X) and Qt Creator while current released version of Qt is 4.6

KrazyPenguin
January 16th, 2010, 01:51 PM
Do you mean the latest "stable" versions, because a lot of software that is the newest bleeding edge release isn't always the most stable.

But to help you out, try Ubuntu Tweak which allows the addition of repositories for various projects to be installed with a single click (or two).

;-)

mhdbnoimi
January 16th, 2010, 02:29 PM
Do you mean the latest "stable" versions
No. I mean leatest version (alpha, beta, rc.... etc)

try Ubuntu Tweak
Do u mean http://ubuntu-tweak.com/? if yes I visited it but I couldn't understand how to use it! but as I understand that I've to download their deb (I did) which is an installer for packages is it?

mkvnmtr
January 16th, 2010, 02:49 PM
You can start with the getdeb site. Then move on with Ubuntu Tweek which you can get off the getdeb site. Then it will still be adding each repository you need or downloading from the site of the app in question. Once you begin doing it it is not difficult.

KrazyPenguin
January 16th, 2010, 03:18 PM
No. I mean leatest version (alpha, beta, rc.... etc)

Do u mean http://ubuntu-tweak.com/? if yes I visited it but I couldn't understand how to use it! but as I understand that I've to download their deb (I did) which is an installer for packages is it?

It is an installer of packages, repos, and system tweaks.
This makes it easy to setup your whole system from one application.
It will be found in Appications --> System Tools

The next version 0.6 due later this month looks very interesting.

I suggest you read this link:
http://blog.ubuntu-tweak.com/2010/01/10/ubuntu-tweak-0-5-0-released.html

good luck!!!

mhdbnoimi
January 16th, 2010, 07:19 PM
You can start with the getdeb site. Then move on with Ubuntu Tweek which you can get off the getdeb site
Both of getdeb site and Ubuntu Tweek are not suitable for me because I download packages by keryx (It's hard to get fast connection speed in my country most of us using dial-up) so I need to get repositories links for adding them into synaptic then I go to the internet cafe to download packages by keryx.

mhdbnoimi
January 16th, 2010, 07:25 PM
ubuntu-tweak it's a fantastic tool thanks KrazyPenguin. but as I replied above I download ubuntu packages by depending on repositories link (keryx need repositories link) so it useful for tweaking my ubuntu but not suitable for downloading packages by dial-up connection

mhdbnoimi
January 16th, 2010, 07:26 PM
ubuntu-tweak it's a fantastic tool thanks KrazyPenguin. but as I replied above I download ubuntu packages by depending on repositories link (keryx need repositories link) so it useful for tweaking my ubuntu but not suitable for downloading packages by dial-up connection

snowpine
January 16th, 2010, 07:30 PM
You need a "rolling release" distro (Arch, sidux, etc.) that provides you with the latest packages. Ubuntu is designed to be a stable, time-based distribution, with major upgrades grouped together every six months.