PDA

View Full Version : [other] LXDE - Switch User?

Telecaster72
January 16th, 2010, 12:20 PM
Hi, i am using Karmic w/ GDM login manager with LXDE and i am quite happy with it, my gf uses Gnome with her user account. I get no "switch user" option in my logout window in LXDE though and this is somewhat a big problem. Does anyone have a solution to this? Something i could write as a .desktop file or something, something she could easily click to get into her account without interrupting my session.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

byStanderone
January 16th, 2010, 01:05 PM
,,,visit this thread: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1269788

Telecaster72
January 17th, 2010, 11:49 PM
byStanderone - Thanks! that might be it, i'll give it a try!

mkvnmtr
January 18th, 2010, 12:55 AM
I just installed the LXDE desktop on my Gnome 9.04 today and I have a switch user option when I go to log out. I believe I got it out of the regular repositories . I did not enable anything special and I just clicked on IXDE which is a mega package. It did not include the package LXDE desktop.

Telecaster72
January 19th, 2010, 01:26 AM
byStanderone > Ok so i tried the Gnome-panel with the lxde-logout as done in the post you linked to and that gives me the regular gnome panel but also with lxde-logout which is the exact same one i get in lxpanel. So back to square one ;-) Maybe i did it wrong, a looong day at work behind me, i like the Gnome Panel too though and after changing all default Nautilus to Thunar i might keep it this way.

mkvnmtr > That is very interesting, i did it the same way and did not get switch user. Thanks!

It seems like somehow i have to edit lxde-logout to include Switch User. The script in /usr/bin only says what icon to use and so...

#!/bin/sh
lxsession-logout --banner "/usr/share/lxde/images/logout-banner.png" --side=top

lxsession-logout looks like this when opened in Leafpad:

ELF wtf? how do i view a binary? (I know... i cant skip the basics of Linux;)

the lxde-logout.desktop file in /usr/share/applications says:

[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=Shutdown
Name[zh_TW]=關機
Comment=Shutdown, Reboot or change session
Icon=stock_exit
Exec=lxde-logout
NoDisplay=true
I think i might have added the "change session" earlier

The mystery continues, i know i am missing something elementary here but i'm too tired to do this now, thanks for checking in, i'll post if i come up with something...must.....get...sleeepp...

Edit: I added the "switch user" applet to the panel and that works for now, still would like to have it in the log out thingie where it belongs...

mkvnmtr
January 19th, 2010, 03:53 AM
I can not seem to get a screeenshot of the window but it is a LXDE log out window. I did nothing to get it. In fact I had not even thought of it until I say your post. Wonder where it came from.

oschonrock
April 16th, 2010, 07:42 AM
here is an official response on this subject:

https://lists.launchpad.net/lubuntu-desktop/msg01142.html

ie need to use gdm instead of lxdm, or wait until lxdm gets this feature.