PDA

View Full Version : Youtube going to HTML 5?

hobo14
January 16th, 2010, 11:23 AM
That would be nice to see.

http://tech.slashdot.org/story/10/01/13/2323210/YouTube-Revamp-Imminent

juancarlospaco
January 16th, 2010, 03:03 PM
I like if these becomes true, i dont like Flash

chucky chuckaluck
January 16th, 2010, 03:09 PM
chrome has an extension that allows viewing of youtube videos with html5.

benmoran
January 16th, 2010, 03:41 PM
I would love to see HTML5 youtube. That would pretty much ensure that it works on all platforms.

chriswyatt
January 17th, 2010, 03:03 AM
What platforms don't have Flash support?

samh785
January 17th, 2010, 03:11 AM
It's too bad that it isn't at the top anymore. I voted for it and I hope that anyone looking at this thread that supports the idea motivates themselves to vote too.

juancarlospaco
January 17th, 2010, 03:15 AM

Haiku and ReactOS (from Adobe i mean)

Seq
January 17th, 2010, 03:23 AM

Linux on PPC -- or pretty much anything that isn't 32-bit intel.

tubezninja
January 17th, 2010, 03:32 AM

Right now pretty much all mobile platforms, thus requiring a separate app/kluge. "Flash Mobile" barely counts, if you're okay with 2 frames per second, tops.

And Flash for *nix, including OS X, is just plain abysmal.

user1397
January 17th, 2010, 03:40 AM
I voted for it, sounds like a great initiative from Google if they do implement it.

I just got one question: I know the new "video" tag would be for videos/animations (no one knows what the default codec will be, though hopefully it'll be an open format such as ogg). But what about replacing flash animations created with adobe flash cs4 and that series? That is the only program available to my knowledge for creating flash animations, and it is practically a monopoly because it is closed-source. What program/framework would be used instead for this purpose?

juancarlospaco
January 17th, 2010, 03:41 AM
Flash isnt a good technology, something new is needed,
with HTML5 and javascript you can do nice things ATM,
check 3DnoPlugIns, 3D web objects without any plugin, these is the way.

Muffinabus
January 17th, 2010, 04:02 AM
It's too bad that it isn't at the top anymore. I voted for it and I hope that anyone looking at this thread that supports the idea motivates themselves to vote too.

Google acknowledged that it is an idea worth looking in to and noted that they were going to remove it so that other ideas could come forth and be seen.

samh785
January 17th, 2010, 04:09 AM
Google acknowledged that it is an idea worth looking in to and noted that they were going to remove it so that other ideas could come forth and be seen.
Ahh ok, that makes sense. Someone must have made another proposal about it as well, because I voted for one that involved html5 and flash.

hobo14
January 17th, 2010, 04:45 AM

They removed the html5 voting options because they were too popular, they had to give other ideas a chance. Sounds like Google has pretty much made up their minds to do it.
When they took them down 4 of the top 5 voting options were all html5 related.