PDA

View Full Version : What does dapper drake mean?

anil_robo
March 1st, 2006, 09:01 PM
Dapper Drake means a prettily dressed, lively male duck.

Reference: www.dictionary.com

xequence
March 1st, 2006, 09:04 PM
I was told it meant Gay Duck o_O

Dont know who it was but they posted iton UF.org =O

Perfect Storm
March 1st, 2006, 09:09 PM
First when I heard the name, I hoped it was related as Drake as in Dragon (RPG geek here), but as you might have guessed I got disapointed lol :mrgreen:

jasay
March 1st, 2006, 09:19 PM
Dapper means something like neat, trim, or elegant in dress. It's supposed to show that the next release will be polished and professional.

Jucato
March 1st, 2006, 09:20 PM
Dapper Drake means a prettily dressed, lively male duck.

Reference: www.dictionary.com

What the?!?! I also thought it was a dragon. Now it makes me hesistant to upgrade... lively duck... \\:D/

Well, at least they didn't call it "Dapper Duck" :D

LordBug
March 1st, 2006, 09:26 PM
I'd never heard a duck referred to as a drake, but apparently a male duck is a drake. Learn something new every day.

Kvark
March 1st, 2006, 09:29 PM
A drake is a kind of dragon, not a duck! :mad:

Jucato
March 1st, 2006, 09:32 PM
Well, apparently, that's only true in the world of Dungeons and Dragons. :D

jasay
March 1st, 2006, 09:40 PM
I think it's both, but I'm all for the dragon. Though with the way some ducks are colored I think it'd be pretty easy for artsy people to make them look like they are in a suit or something else dapper.

sapo
March 1st, 2006, 09:46 PM
I heard that it means "Gay Duck" :p

Bragador
March 1st, 2006, 09:48 PM
I also thought it was a dragon at first but a duck makes more sense. Also joe average and miss nobody would prefer to buy/order/download a box with a duck on it instead of a fiery muscular mighty life-threatening beast of myth and legend.

Wallakoala
March 1st, 2006, 09:50 PM
Yeah...I thought drake reffered to dragon also. It would have been a LOT cooler...

Brunellus
March 1st, 2006, 09:52 PM
I think it's also handy since the KDE project has Konqui the dragon as its project mascot. so the drake can't be confused with the dragon, especially since the drake prefers GNOME.

Bragador
March 1st, 2006, 09:54 PM
lol

Also having a mighty drake (dragon) in flight with an open jaw about to spit fire at you on the cover of the box and cd wouldn't really be "linux for human beings" but more "linux :use me or die".

Pekkalainen
March 1st, 2006, 10:02 PM
In swedish drake means dragon, pronounced differently though but spelled the same :-|

Bragador
March 1st, 2006, 10:10 PM
Ahhh so Drake has roots in that part of the world.

I'm sure with a dragon instead of a duck, Ubuntu would attract more young people since it would sound cooler than windows and mac os put together.

Perhaps we can still hope for it ? I wouldn't mind a bluish dragon. Not a cute one though, a PROUD one.

transactionlogfiller
March 1st, 2006, 10:11 PM
I heard that it means "Gay Duck" :p

IMO, dapper isn't a word which is used much in British English anymore. If I heard someone under 50 use it I'd assume they were being rather light hearted. I'd tell someone they were looking dapper if they normally dressed casual for work, and one day came in in a tie. It means smartly dressed.

I took drake to mean male duck, but I have heard it used for a type of dragon too, now that you mention it.

mstlyevil
March 1st, 2006, 10:12 PM
Maybe Dapper Drake is a gay dragon or a metrosexual duck. :mrgreen: :-k

Lunixfanboy
March 1st, 2006, 10:14 PM
Good grief, the youngsters these days!:mrgreen: Dapper, as in well turned out, a toff, a swell, a dandy, a gentleman of the first order, and so on and on. And a drake has been a male duck for quite some time (a few centuries, at least). Both are in keeping with the previous naming (Warty Warthog, Hoary Hedgehog, Breezy Badger==All animal related). The male of the bird species is always much more colorful to impress the female, don't you know? Hence, Dapper Drake. And, insofar as drake is nearly dragon in Swedish, would that have anything to do with a SAAB Drakken that buzzed us at supersonic speeds back when my ship was operating in the Baltic?

Jucato
March 1st, 2006, 10:15 PM
yeah, maybe the "dragon" interpretation would probably be misinterpreted as a preference for KDE. But still... a duck... oh well. :D

Btw, has anyone ever tried to have a mascot for each of the releases? Are they available on the CDs? Unfortunately, I just downloaded my copy of Kubuntu.

OT: If people would find it hard to accept a dragon mascot (although Konqui is, IMHO, still cute), I wonder how people are finding the BSD mascot? :D

followme
March 1st, 2006, 10:23 PM
I always had images of hair styling products as in Dapper Dan from the movie "Brother where art thou" or some title like that with George Clooney as a convict that goes into music with the other escapees. Clooney's character always had to have his hair done right with that specific hair product.

So I thought it might have to do with Dapper Dan's brother: Drake.

LOL, yeah, I know, logic isn't always logical :)

engla
March 1st, 2006, 10:23 PM
Hence, Dapper Drake. And, insofar as drake is nearly dragon in Swedish, would that have anything to do with a SAAB Drakken that buzzed us at supersonic speeds back when my ship was operating in the Baltic?
Absolutely, that's the same Drake.
There is also Viggen / some kind of bird, but almost like "the thunderbolt"
and Jas Gripen / the Griffin

ssam
March 1st, 2006, 10:26 PM
acording to http://www.answers.com/dragon the word dragon comes "from Latin dracō, dracōn-, large serpent, from Greek drakōn" is it would make sense that some european languages have words like drake for dragon. also draco is a constellation (http://www.astro.wisc.edu/~dolan/constellations/constellations/Draco.html).

there was a poll on the fridge: Dapper Drake is a... (http://fridge.ubuntu.com/node/115)

i have heard "dapper" used as a synonym for "cool"

FoxLogic
March 1st, 2006, 10:27 PM
Dragons and naked people. I don't see any ducks.

http://images.google.com/images?q=drake&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&sa=N&tab=wi

drag·on (drăg'ən) pronunciation
n.

1. A mythical monster traditionally represented as a gigantic reptile having a lion's claws, the tail of a serpent, wings, and a scaly skin.

Kind of an old database there. They already have proven dragons existed when they dug up bones from 2 locations with the bone structure to match perfectly to the old tales.

Bragador
March 1st, 2006, 10:29 PM
Go on page 2...

But it shows that a duck is not the first thing people will think of now.

xhie
March 1st, 2006, 10:30 PM
And a drake has been a male duck for quite some time (a few centuries, at least). Both are in keeping with the previous naming (Warty Warthog, Hoary Hedgehog, Breezy Badger==All animal related).

Dragons are aminals too...

Well they can say whatever they want, in my head "Dapper Drake" will always mean "The Pimp-daddy of all Dragons"

Jucato
March 1st, 2006, 10:31 PM
Google isn't an authority on definitions, anyway. It's results are mostly determined by popularity and your cookies. No wonder it would show nude people first. :D

red_Marvin
March 1st, 2006, 11:00 PM
@followme: How's my hair ... Damn we're in a tight spot!

@all: AFAIK Duck is the wite bird (=Donald), while refers to the more colorful species
where the male has a green head and blue bands on the wings.

Perfect Storm
March 1st, 2006, 11:12 PM
I still go for dragon *sniff* [-(

http://www.imageviper.com/displayimage.php?id=28239&name=dapperdrake.jpg

mstlyevil
March 1st, 2006, 11:13 PM
I still go for dragon *sniff* [-(

http://www.imageviper.com/displayimage.php?id=28239&name=dapperdrake.jpg

Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeezzzzzzzzzzzzzzzeeeeeeeeeeee make a walppaper out of that. :mrgreen:

Bragador
March 1st, 2006, 11:19 PM
That drake is actually not so bad !

It's not to fierce as to freak out people but it's not too cute either. Perfect for the whole family :mrgreen:

xhie
March 1st, 2006, 11:29 PM
Hehe I love it!

Yes PLEASE make a wallpaper out of that.

Perfect Storm
March 1st, 2006, 11:42 PM
Hehehe...Well it's just some pictures I manipulated'n'mixed together with gimp and ran som gimp scripts so I can't hardly call it my own, it's no big deal, it was done in a hurry to this thread lol.
Here's another:

http://www.imageviper.com/displayimage.php?id=28241&name=drake2.jpg

Jucato
March 1st, 2006, 11:53 PM
That's so cool A.I. But maybe a bit too aggressive? :D
Btw, are there any "mascots" or images of the different releases out there (warthog, hedgehog, badger)??

angkor
March 2nd, 2006, 12:28 AM
drake
n.

A mayfly used as fishing bait. Also called drake fly.

http://www.yourdictionary.com/ahd/d/d0378800.html

:confused: Maybe to lure the windows users ;)

Drake resembles dragon in dutch as well....we spell dragon as 'draak'. I like dragons and I will think of Dapper as a dragon in stead of a duck :) Or maybe just a really though duck...

GreyFox503
March 2nd, 2006, 12:33 AM
This thread is hilarious!

I've never heard a dragon being called a drake before (I'm not into RPGs, nor am I Swedish), but about half the responsdents so far have been dissapointed to learn it's a duck.

'Course, I would be dissapointed too if I had been thinking "dragon" for a few months...

lleberg
March 2nd, 2006, 12:42 AM
How about going for it and change the name? ;)
To actually call it dragon..
The first word is a tough one, drunken, depressed, doom, death?

bonzodog
March 2nd, 2006, 12:46 AM
I would think another one of the reasons they chose Dapper Drake, basically meaning smart duck, was because they have put alot of work into making Ubuntu 6.04 look really nice with plenty of Eye Candy.

Iandefor
March 2nd, 2006, 12:51 AM
What? Duck? Hah? I figured it meant dragon, like everybody else.

Eh, it works.

orlox
March 2nd, 2006, 01:33 AM
Truly though that drake meant dragon in the next release. Never heard the use of drake to refer to a duck, and always thought drake was used to refer to dragons or as a lastname.

dtfinch
March 2nd, 2006, 01:43 AM
Haven't read the whole thread, so sorry if someone else has posted this:

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/dapper

In Afrikaans and Dutch, Dapper means "brave, courageous".

jm2003uk
March 2nd, 2006, 01:54 AM
When i heard the name i just assumed that it was a drake, as in male duck....though that may be because we have some ducks and one of them is...a drake! And ducks are cool....at least ours are anyway :cool:

xmastree
March 2nd, 2006, 02:01 AM
Never heard the use of drake to refer to a duck,Whereas I had never heard the use of drake to refer to a dragon. :confused:
ISTR there was a poll about this somewhere...

anil_robo
March 2nd, 2006, 10:19 PM
All the animals called Drake: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drake#Animals
Google image search for dapper drake: http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&q=dapper%20drake&btnG=Google+Search&sa=N&tab=wi
Found another blog with same questions: http://linux.blogweb.de/archives/127-Dapper-Drake-Duck-or-Dragon.html

Whoa! I never thought this thread would snowball so much! I shouldn't have written that one liner ;) It's so nice to know everyone pouring in their views. This is what differentiates a true linux community!

Viva la Linux!

xmastree
March 3rd, 2006, 12:40 AM
I think it highlights two different types of user:

To the gamers, with their fantasy worlds of dragons and elves, drake = dragon.

To those of us in the real world, drake = duck.

Brunellus
March 3rd, 2006, 12:48 AM
I think it highlights two different types of user:

To the gamers, with their fantasy worlds of dragons and elves, drake = dragon.

To those of us in the real world, drake = duck.
I think it's more like:

To the people who have to deal with real animals all the time, AND speak a certain sort of English=duck.

To the people who have less of a grasp of both animals and English = dragon.

anil_robo
March 6th, 2006, 07:48 AM
I think it's more like:

To the people who have to deal with real animals all the time, AND speak a certain sort of English=duck.

To the people who have less of a grasp of both animals and English = dragon.

I wish the Ubuntu developers released mascot pictures with their distros - so that we could actually see if Drake was a duck or a dragon!!! :D

Just an idea !!!

woedend
March 6th, 2006, 08:10 AM
drake = duck. I doubt theyd gor from release names featuring 3 real animals to an object which only exists in nerd's hearts. not saying it wouldn't be cool, but it's a duck.

Teroedni
March 6th, 2006, 09:30 PM
After playing Westsnoth for a while

Dapper Drake means a Dragon named Dapper for me

Maybe Dapper is the ultimate level 4 Drake:P

Anyway The name sounds really cool:mrgreen:

johanhartman
May 13th, 2006, 05:11 PM
Reading this is actually quite funny to me as an afrikaans speaker. In afrikaans (a language derived from dutch and mainly spoken in south africa) dapper drake means "Brave Dragons". "Dapper" = brave and "Drake" = the plural form of "draak" which means dragon.

Dapper would be pronounced something like "dupper" and drake something like "drahkuh".

I'm pretty sure it's afrikaans because Mark Shuttleworth who started the ubuntu project is also from south africa.

xmastree
May 14th, 2006, 02:36 AM
Well, I was playing with a live dapper distro, and somewhere in there I found a picture of daper drake. It was a duck.

catlett
May 14th, 2006, 04:20 AM
This is the link to Mark Shuttleworth's announcement https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-devel/2005-September/010876.html
Sorry to say no mention of dragon or duck .
Excerpt
It's 6.04 that will be up against Windows Vista, so let's make it a
zinger and give folks a real choice.

The 6.04 release will be the culmination of 2 years hard work, with
Warty, Hoary and Breezy having set the style and the pace. We want it to
represent the fruit of that labour - it brings to a close this first
major cycle of development for Ubuntu. It will be a release that people
can plan for, participate in and build solutions on top of. It will get
even more polish than we put into Breezy, so we think it deserves a name
that reflects that polish.

And so, after much deliberation, it has been decided that 6.04 will be
known during development as:

The Dapper Drake

I'm sure the Ubuntu Artwork Team will have a field day ;-)

As usual, the "dapper" repository will be opened after the release of
Breezy. Till then, let's focus all of our energy on the upcoming release!

Mark

woedend
May 14th, 2006, 05:35 AM
Polished Duck!!!!

xmastree
May 14th, 2006, 06:24 AM
Polished Duck!!!!
Load up a Dapper live CD and look at:
/usr/share/example-content/Wallpapers/SVG/Ubuntu-Ubuntu_Dapper_00.svg

Case for the duck rests, M'Lud.

fuscia
May 14th, 2006, 08:09 AM
here he is with his longtime companion. (there appears to be some tux connection going on.)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v342/unknownentity/tuxntail.gif

Perfect Storm
May 14th, 2006, 08:44 AM
That's not Dapper Duck, it's Daffy Duck :mrgreen:

woedend
May 14th, 2006, 10:07 AM
thats a duck dude...i swaer

catlett
May 14th, 2006, 11:45 AM
nevermind

clparker
June 16th, 2006, 10:54 PM