PDA

View Full Version : Preparing for a Job in the Linux business

dethredic
January 16th, 2010, 02:17 AM
So, at my university we study for 4 months then work for 4 months (on and off), and I would really love a job working with Linux in some way. I am currently on a work term, so I won't be applying to jobs for my next one for about 4-5 months, and I am not doing anything from 5pm to 12pm (other than video games), so I figure I should put my time to good use.

So, how do I prepare for something like that. I am pretty sure most of the jobs out there are in administrative roles or something like that.

Also I believe there are certifications or something, that would look good on a resume (how else do you show off your skills). Are these worthwhile getting, and if so I am sure some are better than others.

Just any info on this would be great.

samjh
January 16th, 2010, 02:37 AM
A lot of employers will ignore certifications if it isn't accompanied by a good amount of work experience (eg. minimum two years in the relevant role). It's a chicken-and-egg situation: employers want experience, but you can't get experience if you don't get the job.

Having said that, the best Linux certification is clearly the Red Hat Certified Engineer (http://www.redhat.com/certification/rhce/), which is notoriously hard. If not RHCE, then try the LPIC (http://www.lpi.org/eng/certification/the_lpic_program) series.

tgalati4
January 16th, 2010, 05:03 AM
Another avenue is to become really skilled at a business application such as sugarcrm.com then deploy it in a company as an intern. You can learn a lot in a short time that way.

Or become a Drupal expert (drupal.org) and build dynamic websites for non-profits and social/community causes. Then try building some commercial sites.

iponeverything
January 16th, 2010, 07:36 AM
So, at my university we study for 4 months then work for 4 months (on and off), and I would really love a job working with Linux in some way. I am currently on a work term, so I won't be applying to jobs for my next one for about 4-5 months, and I am not doing anything from 5pm to 12pm (other than video games), so I figure I should put my time to good use.

So, how do I prepare for something like that. I am pretty sure most of the jobs out there are in administrative roles or something like that.

Also I believe there are certifications or something, that would look good on a resume (how else do you show off your skills). Are these worthwhile getting, and if so I am sure some are better than others.

Just any info on this would be great.

The key is get you foot in the door. Even if have work for free, a company could pick you as an intern -- and your condition might be have a good mentor.. The real world experience may be worth more than the pay you might receive..

I and several others I know have gotten very valuable experience working for very meagre salaries, just for opportunity to do something cool.

You have to sell yourself. Find the place you want to work, put together a case and try to get yourself in the door -- whether they are looking for people or not.

dethredic
January 16th, 2010, 04:52 PM
The key is get you foot in the door. Even if have work for free, a company could pick you as an intern -- and your condition might be have a good mentor.. The real world experience may be worth more than the pay you might receive..

I and several others I know have gotten very valuable experience working for very meagre salaries, just for opportunity to do something cool.

You have to sell yourself. Find the place you want to work, put together a case and try to get yourself in the door -- whether they are looking for people or not.

Ya, thats what I am thinking, especially because money isn't really an issue for me at this stage.