PDA

View Full Version : Why didn't you get a Nexus One?

aysiu
January 16th, 2010, 02:07 AM
So in the news I read that the sales for the Nexus One weren't that impressive (20,000 in the first week).

I can't say I'm surprised.

I am curious, though, at least for the Ubuntu Forums members, what was the main reason you didn't get a Nexus One?

For me, it was mainly that I already have a phone (I just got the T-Mobile MyTouch back in August, so I don't think it'd make sense for me to buy another Android phone with not half a year going by). There are other reasons too for me, but that's the primary one.

What about you?

sxmaxchine
January 16th, 2010, 02:35 AM
i like my current phone to much to upgrade even though it pretty old i still like it

Uncle Spellbinder
January 16th, 2010, 02:36 AM
Introductory price - $529 unlocked
$179 with 2 year Contract.

:(

pwnst*r
January 16th, 2010, 02:36 AM
Other: waiting on Verizon.

pwnst*r
January 16th, 2010, 02:37 AM
Introductory price - $529 unlocked
$179 with 2 year Contract.

:(

that's standard pricing for a smart phone, why the sad face.

CharlesA
January 16th, 2010, 02:38 AM
I don't feel the need to have my cell bill go even higher then it is now, especually since I don't really use my phone all that much.

Uncle Spellbinder
January 16th, 2010, 02:40 AM

Sad face = can't afford

And smart phones through Verizon and T-Mobile range from "free" to less than $100.

pwnst*r
January 16th, 2010, 02:41 AM
Not when they first came out.

73ckn797
January 16th, 2010, 02:43 AM
I do not want or need one.

I have the LG Envy2 and it does more than I need but I like the small size.

I am content without having the latest gadget(s).

Uncle Spellbinder
January 16th, 2010, 02:44 AM

A lot of what the Nexus One can do (not all, but much) can be achieved on MANY other smart phones costing from zero to $100

pwnst*r
January 16th, 2010, 02:45 AM
sure, they can make calls.

Uncle Spellbinder
January 16th, 2010, 02:47 AM
Never been much for jumping on the bandwagon just to be first i line to pay crap loads of cash for the "next big thing".

Nexus One = Waste of cash

sliketymo
January 16th, 2010, 03:16 AM
I like my consumercellular nokia just fine.

pwnst*r
January 16th, 2010, 05:06 AM
Never been much for jumping on the bandwagon just to be first i line to pay crap loads of cash for the "next big thing".

Nexus One = Waste of cash

"crap loads" to you may not be "crap loads" to others. "waste of cash" in your mind.

Regenweald
January 16th, 2010, 05:13 AM
I still have a thing for the N900 and tegra 2 is around the corner which is to me, the first worthwhile mobile processing platform. So if i were in the market for a mobile device, I'd wait for something from nokia sporting tegra 2.

miegiel
January 16th, 2010, 05:22 AM
If I'm getting a new phone, I'm getting a nokia N900. Debian based for comfort and more free than andriod (not as free as the freerunner though :().

PurposeOfReason
January 16th, 2010, 05:49 AM
What makes the n1 so fast is android 2.1 and I can snatch a hero with sprint for $80, root it, and put 2.1 on it early. The reports have been very good.

pwnst*r
January 16th, 2010, 05:50 AM
the hero has the same hardware as the N1?

PurposeOfReason
January 16th, 2010, 05:52 AM
the hero has the same hardware as the N1?
Not even close. I'm just saying that the n1's speed is a large part due to software, not just the snapdragon.

pwnst*r
January 16th, 2010, 05:52 AM
Cool beans.

Warpnow
January 16th, 2010, 06:09 AM

The "fairness" of the price has little/nothing to do with the cost/benefit analysis side of the purchase choice.

(Corndog)
January 16th, 2010, 06:19 AM
I selected other, For one personal reason.

I never buy things when they first come out, Never have never will. To much of a financial risk to buy things and then realize that it doesn't work as expected.

Now most of you are probably saying, "Oh! You did buy one and this is your cover up."

Wrong, I never brought one, and buy the looks of it, I won't be buying one anytime soon. If anything, I would rather hold my breath and wait for the iPhone to come to Verizon.

But, if someone does have a Nexus One here, I would love to hear a more personal review, rather than some blogs review in which was wrote to get more views.

Thanks,

~Evan Riley

xuCGC002
January 16th, 2010, 06:28 AM
If I'm getting a new phone, I'm getting a nokia N900. Debian based for comfort and more free than andriod (not as free as the freerunner though :().

:shock:

DO WANT. DO WANT. DO WANT.

That thing makes my G1 look like a Portable Macintosh.

Uncle Spellbinder
January 16th, 2010, 06:43 AM
"crap loads" to you may not be "crap loads" to others. "waste of cash" in your mind.

Of course. Who else would I be speaking for. I stated MY opinion. Meaning what MY feelings are about the Nexus One.

So yes. Crap loads of cash TO ME. Waste of cash TO ME.

Quite obvious I would have thought. ;)

m3topaz
January 18th, 2010, 03:11 PM
It's an HTC Hero/Magic with a voice gimmick that will not be sufficiently usable to justify a purchase. I've got a few Android phones and as good as they are, the Nexus 1 doesn't make a big step forward IMO.
I did buy a £500 Nokia N900 and that is a proper step forward: Debian based with proper root access and sensible networking. Nice.

Tristam Green
January 18th, 2010, 03:39 PM
Don't need, don't want.

Same essential reasons I didn't buy an iPhone.

Psumi
January 18th, 2010, 04:37 PM
Don't need a cell phone. I am content with my landline.

Simian Man
January 18th, 2010, 04:46 PM
The free* phone with Verizon I have works fine and only needs to be charged every two weeks. A Nexus One would be pretty sweet, but it's just a toy. I can't rationalize spending that much on a toy at this point.

* with contract of course.

MikeZ83
January 25th, 2010, 04:00 AM
Give up my Nokia N900 running maemo and full-fledged Debian in parallel for a cell phone that can't run much more than glorified Java applets?

Corners
January 25th, 2010, 04:45 AM
I put other. I'm a fan of Android. I've used the G1 and Mytouch, and I prefer the G1 because of the physical keyboard. The Nexus doesn't have a keyboard, so no thanks.

gnomeuser
January 25th, 2010, 05:19 AM
Several reasons:

1) It's not yet available in Denmark
2) If I am buying an expensive phone I want it subsidized, given the way phone subscriptions work here there is rarely if ever any money to be saved buying unlocked
3) I have now learned that I really want a phone with a hardware keyboard
4) I didn't have the luxury of being able to wait when I bought my HTC Hero, my phone broke and I needed a replacement. The HTC Hero was the best non-iPhone available to me at the time.

Frak
January 25th, 2010, 05:37 AM
The touchscreen is horrible (margin of error wise), Andriod is slow and unstable from my experiences (Home is not responding is NOT acceptable for a final release OS to the masses), and I like WebOS.

samh785
January 25th, 2010, 05:50 AM
I assume the sad face is due to it costing too much. The standard cost of a personal aircraft is far more than I can afford, but that doesn't mean I can't be upset about not being able to afford one. :P

Frak
January 25th, 2010, 05:58 AM
Give up my Nokia N900 running maemo and full-fledged Debian in parallel for a cell phone that can't run much more than glorified Java applets?
^This person doesn't understand. Also, what's wrong with Java? Anything you can do in C or C++, I can do in Java. It's just a language.

samh785
January 25th, 2010, 06:17 AM
Anything you can do in C or C++, I can do in Java. It's just a language.
Owned.

kevdog
January 25th, 2010, 06:22 AM
Ive got a Droid -- and have seen 2.1 -- and its not all that. I wouldn't buy a Nexus One right now because of TMobile. Nexus is coming to Verizon, but now Ive seen even future phone "previews" past the Nexus, and I have to say, those seem a lot more attractive. And Debian can be run in a rooted and chrooted environment on Android with use of an Xserver. Its in its infancy but sexy.

Frak
January 25th, 2010, 06:24 AM
Ive got a Droid -- and have seen 2.1 -- and its not all that.

I have to say, the Droid was a major letdown.

Icehuck
January 25th, 2010, 06:24 AM
I have to say, the Droid was a major letdown.

Android is a major let down.

Frak
January 25th, 2010, 06:29 AM
It is, and, geez, I really did have high hopes for it.

scouser73
January 25th, 2010, 06:30 AM
I already have a touchscreen phone, admittedly it's an LG Viewty so it's not all bells & whistles but it does the job perfectly.

MikeZ83
January 25th, 2010, 06:33 AM
^This person doesn't understand. Also, what's wrong with Java? Anything you can do in C or C++, I can do in Java. It's just a language.Think you're missing the point. Advantages of the N900 like the ability to simply cross-compile any source that runs on Debian, support for professional applications like VMware, multi-boot, root access by installing an additional package, no Google-made killswitch, ... simply speak for themself.

Additionally Android applications have to follow limitations full-fledged Java applications don't. Hence the applet reference. The difference between those types in Java is basic knowledge.

IMHO most people haven't fully understood the N900 until they've written code or it over an SSH connection. The eye-opener for me was when I patched Vagalume to allow recording of all songs again instead of only the free ones (Vagalume vs. Vagamule) and of course using the alternate Debian Squeeze install to run OpenOffice and Gimp.

Frak
January 25th, 2010, 06:34 AM
Think you're missing the point. Advantages of the N900 like the ability to simply cross-compile any source that runs on Debian, support for professional applications like VMware, multi-boot, root access by installing an additional package, no Google-made killswitch, ... simply speak for themself.

Additionally Android applications have to follow limitations full-fledged Java applications don't. Hence the applet reference. The difference between those types in Java is basic knowledge.

IMHO most people haven't fully understood the N900 until they've written code or it over an SSH connection. The eye-opener for me was when I patched Vagalume to allow recording of all songs again instead of only the free ones (Vagalume vs. Vagamule) and of course using the alternate Debian Squeeze install to run OpenOffice and Gimp.
But can it take calls? I get the grating cheese part, that's great, but can it do what my phone can do?

Icehuck
January 25th, 2010, 06:38 AM
Think you're missing the point. Advantages of the N900 like the ability to simply cross-compile any source that runs on Debian, support for professional applications like VMware, multi-boot, root access by installing an additional package, no Google-made killswitch, ... simply speak for themself.

and of course using the alternate Debian Squeeze install to run OpenOffice and Gimp.

VMware on a phone? What?

Have you not heard?

Frak
January 25th, 2010, 06:40 AM
VMware on a phone? What?

Have you not heard?
I'm getting the reference to "The Bird is the Word", but VMWare on a phone is like putting nitrous on my RC Car. That's great and all, but why? I mean, it's not even that useful.

Icehuck
January 25th, 2010, 06:42 AM
I'm getting the reference to "The Bird is the Word", but VMWare on a phone is like putting nitrous on my RC Car. That's great and all, but why? I mean, it's not even that useful.

There is absolutely no point in VMware on a phone. It would run like absolute crap and interacting with it in a useful way would be horrid on a phone.

PS - I hate you for ruining my surfin bird.

Frak
January 25th, 2010, 06:45 AM
There is absolutely no point in VMware on a phone. It would run like absolute crap and interacting with it in a useful way would be horrid on a phone.

PS - I hate you for ruining my surfin bird.
I just noticed, it lets you boot Android with it. How funny.

EDIT
Wait, I think I'm wrong, but still, that would be awfully ironic.

MikeZ83
January 25th, 2010, 06:57 AM
But can it take calls? I get the grating cheese part, that's great, but can it do what my phone can do?Normal cell phone calls are just another implementation along the different VOIP implementations. Meaning, you can simply put a normal phone call on hold and seamlessly switch to an incoming Skype call and back. Same as with SMS which are treated the same way as IM chats. Your contacts hold unified information on phone, address, IM accounts, social networking profiles and tons more. Most of the time it's easier to list what other phones can't do than the other way around.

EDIT
Wait, I think I'm wrong, but still, that would be awfully ironic.Just simple multi-boot. Same as taking an Intel Mac and installing Windows and Ubuntu as well.

Icehuck
January 25th, 2010, 06:58 AM

EDIT
Wait, I think I'm wrong, but still, that would be awfully ironic.

Just for the heck of it, I just went and checked the sys requirements of VMware Workstation and Server. You can't run either one on that phone, because it doesn't meet the minimum requirements.

600mhz processor isn't going to cut it. Not to mention the fact that it's ARM.

Frak
January 25th, 2010, 07:00 AM
Just for the heck of it, I just went and checked the sys requirements of VMware Workstation and Server. You can't run either one on that phone, because it doesn't meet the minimum requirements.

600mhz processor isn't going to cut it. Not to mention the fact that it's ARM.
I wonder what you could run with it, though. Very limited selection.

MikeZ83
January 25th, 2010, 07:11 AM

600mhz processor isn't going to cut it. Not to mention the fact that it's ARM.Who the hell would be crazy enough to run Workstation or Server on a phone? The version VMWare is working on is for systems like other phone OSes that don't run natively on the hardware. Or to take multi-boot one step further, virtualize the phone itself and let you seamlessly switch between a work OS with company-sensitive data and an isolated private OS that was running in the background.

Icehuck
January 25th, 2010, 07:15 AM
Who the hell would be crazy enough to run Workstation or Server on a phone? The version VMWare is working on is for systems like other phone OSes that don't run natively on the hardware. Or to take multi-boot one step further, virtualize the phone itself and let you seamlessly switch between a work OS with company-sensitive data and an isolated private OS that was running in the background.

You are describing a hypervisor now. Previously, you said

Think you're missing the point. Advantages of the N900 like the ability to simply cross-compile any source that runs on Debian, support for professional applications like VMware

So is it a hypervisor or an application?

Giant Speck
January 25th, 2010, 07:27 AM
I have an iPhone. I don't really feel the need to switch to another phone.

MikeZ83
January 25th, 2010, 07:35 AM
So is it a hypervisor or an application?Their original plans a year ago were for a simple hypervisor because the technology wasn't strong enough (demo (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNo6pn-dnSQ) of WinCE and Android on the predecessor a year ago) whereas their latest marketing BS can be interpreted either way.

Excedio
January 26th, 2010, 03:38 PM
Other: Two reasons why...

Other: waiting on Verizon.

2. Waiting to hear more about this:
http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/17/htc-supersonic-to-ring-in-wimax-on-sprint-android-style/

http://nexus404.com/Blog/2010/01/24/htc-supersonic-screenshot-gets-leaked-htc-supersonic-wimax-android-phone-to-feature-android-3-0-t-mobile-to-launch-it/

ukripper
January 26th, 2010, 04:59 PM
going for HTC hero as Nexus one made hero cheaper. Thanks google!

Muffinabus
January 26th, 2010, 05:01 PM
Tried to buy one, was denied based on my credit. Then found out my identity was stolen and I'm in debt a few hundred dollars.

SuperSonic4
January 26th, 2010, 05:06 PM
I have a Samsung Tocco on a rolling 30 day contract.

I don't want any phone that will lock me in for more than 6 months such is the pace of developments in price plans.

Gallahhad
January 26th, 2010, 05:08 PM
*Other

I'm waiting for the price to come down, I see no reason to pay the "cool tax"; I'll let the hipster crowd subsidize the price for me and I'll pick one up within the next 18months at half the current price.

ptviperz
January 26th, 2010, 05:12 PM
I'm still very happy with my G1. Mine is rooted and running Cyanogen mod. And did I mention I love a physical keyboard? Seriously, how can you use a touch screen keyboard and SSH without the dedicated keys of Connectbot?

Zoot7
January 26th, 2010, 05:46 PM
I see no point in getting a smartphone of any type.
My Bog-Standard "Brick" (Nokia 2310) is perfectly capable of making/receiving calls and texts, and TBH that's all I want from a phone anyway.

amitabhishek
January 26th, 2010, 05:53 PM

Interesting. Care to elaborate?

aaaantoine
January 26th, 2010, 06:29 PM
I'm going to stick with my MOTOSLVR and other such !smart phones until I can actually afford a smart phone. By that time, the Nexus One might not be all that fancy anymore.

pwnst*r
January 26th, 2010, 06:36 PM
I'm going to stick with my MOTOSLVR and other such !smart phones until I can actually afford a smart phone. By that time, the Nexus One might not be all that fancy anymore.

So that means you'll never get a smartphone.

aaaantoine
January 26th, 2010, 06:42 PM
So that means you'll never get a smartphone.

Yeah, probably.

beastrace91
January 26th, 2010, 09:06 PM
I skipped buying the Nexus One because Android is restrictive platform (http://jeffhoogland.blogspot.com/2010/01/state-of-smart-phones-today.html).

I opted to get an N900 (http://maemo.nokia.com/n900/) instead - Maemo ftw

~Jeff

ukripper
January 27th, 2010, 05:33 PM
I opted to get an N900 (http://maemo.nokia.com/n900/) instead - Maemo ftw

~Jeff

Currently as much rip off as Nexus!

walkerk
January 27th, 2010, 05:55 PM
Not available...

Frak
January 27th, 2010, 10:17 PM
Currently as much rip off as Nexus!
^I'm with this guy

jomiolto
January 27th, 2010, 10:59 PM
It's not available here and even if it was I would much rather get an N900. It's the Geek Phone ;)

hobo14
February 16th, 2010, 05:10 AM
But, if someone does have a Nexus One here, I would love to hear a more personal review, rather than some blogs review in which was wrote to get more views.

Thanks,

~Evan Riley

It's great. Powerful, beautiful, versatile, I'm loving it so far.
I'm just in the middle of installing Debian alongside Android to give me access to some Linux tools that I'd like.

Not saying it's perfect though, it hasn't stopped me thinking about what my ideal phone would be like. On top of what I have with the N1 I'd like:
- more openness (great compared to iPhone, but still behind Maemo)
- a hardware keyboard
- longer battery life (just beating the iPhone is NOT enough)
So basically an N900 with larger screen, battery and cpu. :p

The touchscreen is horrible (margin of error wise), Andriod is slow and unstable from my experiences (Home is not responding is NOT acceptable for a final release OS to the masses), and I like WebOS.

No, never noticed the slightest inaccuracy in the touchscreen, so I assume any margin of error is completely insignificant in relation to the width of a portrait keyboard button.
Fast, responsive, no instability experienced here, and Home works perfectly.

Frak
February 16th, 2010, 05:17 AM
No, never noticed the slightest inaccuracy in the touchscreen, so I assume any margin of error is completely insignificant in relation to the width of a portrait keyboard button.
Fast, responsive, no instability experienced here, and Home works perfectly.

http://imgur.com/FvoPH.jpg

The winner is on the very left. The losers are everything to the right of that.

ElSlunko
February 16th, 2010, 05:20 AM
Already have a phone but I'll get an android phone when I make the jump to a smart phone.

hobo14
February 16th, 2010, 05:23 AM
http://imgur.com/FvoPH.jpg

The winner is on the very left. The losers are everything to the right of that.

I saw it before I bought an N1, thanks.

I repeat: never noticed the slightest inaccuracy in the touchscreen, so I assume any margin of error is completely insignificant in relation to the width of a portrait keyboard button.

If you take a closer look at those images you can see it for yourself: the margin of error on the N1 is less than the width of the line drawn.

ctrlmd
February 16th, 2010, 06:29 AM
i usually don't by anything unless i find my phone does not help me to do what i want do or when it's broken.

Nevon
February 16th, 2010, 07:30 AM
I would like very, very much to buy one. But first of all, it isn't released here in Europe yet. Secondly, I think my laptop might be nearing the end of its lifespan, so as I am a poor student, I can't afford both a new computer and a smartphone. Since I need a computer more than I need a fancy phone, I might have to wait another year or so to get an android phone.

aeon.flux
February 20th, 2010, 10:29 AM
I was thinking about nexus one, but when i compared it with my Sony Ericsson Xperia X1 (1 year old phone with windows mobile) i found out, that it hasn't nothing special. Same display resolution, same functions (net, contacts, gps, music, video, camera...). YES, it has street view! But in fact, nexus is still not available in my country and probably will never be. 1 month ago i got money back for my Xperia a i had to decide fast, what to but. i wanted phone with jack, miniUSB, huge touch screen, android(i hate windows mobile, because i was using it, 1 year was enough) and HW keyboard. only one available android phone was htc hero, so i bought it. it has no keyboard, but great touch screen and writing on it is much better than on xperia screen. It hasn't 800x480 screen, but im not interested in watching HD movies on 3 inch screen :D 512MHz Qualcomm cant render movies nice on 800x480 screen.