PDA

View Full Version : Anybody using Skype? if so on which devices?

HappinessNow
January 16th, 2010, 01:57 AM
So I have never used Skype, but I was looking at the PSP and I noticed you can make free calls with Skype but I have never used Skype...wondering is it really free?

Can I cancel my cell phone and buy a PSP and just use Skype?

reference:
http://www.us.playstation.com/psp/features/skype

keep in mind I have free wifi at my University and comcast at home, not really too interested in using the phone outside of those two areas much.

ndefontenay
January 16th, 2010, 01:59 AM
It's free skype to skype much like msn or anything else doing the same thing.

It's almost free if you do an international call to a normal phone from your computer and it's totally free from inside a country I believe. Not sure about that. I think it's free from state to state calls in the US.

Vignesh S
January 16th, 2010, 02:01 AM
Yes, I use skype on my laptop, and yes, it really is free (as in no charge) from skype to skype phones/devices :-D. Yes, there is a charge to call normal cell/landline phones however

I would strongly recommend against cancelling the cell phone, because Skype can't be used to dial emergency numbers, and if you don't have internet wherever you use the Skype PSP, then Skype won't help you at all :-P

NoaHall
January 16th, 2010, 02:01 AM
It's free computer to computer, but costs for real numbers.

Techsnap
January 16th, 2010, 02:02 AM
Yeah I use Skype quite often, on my computer and PSP.

HappinessNow
January 16th, 2010, 02:25 AM
Yeah I use Skype quite often, on my computer and PSP.
so I was just noticing that they charge for an online number, $60 for a year but I don't actually need a number right?

Could I use my Google Voice number with Skype some how?

Rainstride
January 16th, 2010, 03:03 AM
so I was just noticing that they charge for an online number, $60 for a year but I don't actually need a number right?

Could I use my Google Voice number with Skype some how?

it's 50% off if you buy the unlimited calling plan for the US/Canada(so its 60 for both callout and the line in then). if you want people to be able to call you from a landline then you need it.

Sublime Porte
January 16th, 2010, 03:37 AM
I use skype on my inq phone, which is purpose built with skype included. No wifi, so can only use it over 3g, but all skype traffic over 3g is free for me anyway.

virusiidx
January 16th, 2010, 03:39 AM
I use skype on my netbook when I travel. Love the cheap international calling rates.

I was going to install it on my Droid, but the Skype App for Android is pretty bad, but still in beta anyways.

solitaire
January 16th, 2010, 04:17 AM
I use Skype on my mobile as well!

No data charges for my Mobile providers version of Skype. But i'm on unlimited data so I can use Their version or Skype's own. (Wioth Skypes own I cna use Wi-fi as well) ^_^