PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Recompiling the kernel

dmcfarland
January 16th, 2010, 01:03 AM
I need to recompile my current kernel, because I need to add uniput support to it. May I get a link or a walkthrough on how to do that so I don't hose my system up. Thanks

Leppie
January 16th, 2010, 01:40 AM
there is a guid here: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Kernel/Compile

please note:

Reasons for NOT compiling a custom kernel
You merely need to compile a special driver. For this, you only need to install the linux-headers packages.
You have no idea what you are doing, and if you break something, you'll need help fixing it. Depending on what you do wrong, you might end up having to reinstall your system from scratch.
You got to this page by mistake, and checked it out because it looked interesting, but you don't really want to learn a lot about kernels.

Techsnap
January 16th, 2010, 02:04 AM
I might be wrong but I think that Ubuntu already has the uinput module, search synaptic if not. Try:

sudo modprobe uinput

dmcfarland
January 16th, 2010, 02:05 AM
I am trying to get my g11 gaming keyboard to work and yes I have read the guide and that guide is mostly concerned with making a new kernel. I am trying to add uinput support for my kernal so I can get my keyboard fully operational. I would also like to know if there is a way to get around that so I don't have to go through all that trouble.

dmcfarland
January 16th, 2010, 02:38 AM
I tried that and it just shot me back to the command prompt. Is that good?

Leppie
January 16th, 2010, 02:43 AM
yes, it only shows a message if it fails ;)

dmcfarland
January 16th, 2010, 03:00 AM
Ok. Now I need to post a thread about configuring the g-11 "g" keys. Thanks

Leppie
January 16th, 2010, 03:10 AM
i'm not sure, but i'd say it should be similar to the g15 procedure: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LogitechG15

dmcfarland
January 17th, 2010, 07:57 AM
I have done all that and no luck. Am I sol because I have a g11 keyboard?