PDA

View Full Version : A free USB flash drive from the man himself (Balmer)

prizrak
March 1st, 2006, 08:06 PM
http://www.microsoft.com//windowsxp/mysterysolved/corp/default.mspx
Look on the right side, the green box.
Here are the answers to the four questions:
Q1. How many ways are there to obtain a full Microsoft® Windows® Desktop license?
Answer:: 2

Q2: Volume License Agreements cover Windows Desktop operating system upgrades only.
Answer: True

Q3: OEM operating system licenses are non-transferable.

Q4: The most cost-effective way to acquire an initial, full underlying Windows Desktop license is preinstalled.

YourSurrogateGod
March 1st, 2006, 08:08 PM
I got 1 for the first question and it said that my USB drive will ship in 6-8 weeks... not sure what's that about.

RaptorRaider
March 1st, 2006, 08:14 PM
Nice.
Hope they will accept "Student" for a company. ;)

Does anyone know what the capacity of this drive is?

I got 1 for the first question and it said that my USB drive will ship in 6-8 weeks... not sure what's that about.
I filled in "2" for that question and got the same answer back.
"We" are right though:

There are two legal ways to acquire a full Windows Desktop license: through your hardware vendor (OEM/System Builder) or Full Packaged Product.

YourSurrogateGod
March 1st, 2006, 08:27 PM
I filled in "2" for that question and got the same answer back.
"We" are right though:
Don't care :) . I just want my USB drive.

If you ask me this is a very good data gathering plan. Millions put in their private data into MS databases for a little toy... but I like toys.

Derek Djons
March 1st, 2006, 08:32 PM
Congrats! Don't forget to mail them regarding how compatible the USB Drive is with Linux ;)

DigitalDuality
March 1st, 2006, 08:39 PM
I did this yesterday morning, thousands and thousands of people have ordered them by now.

I'm curious if they'll ship.

hesee
March 1st, 2006, 08:48 PM
I won't sell my soul for a pen drive!

...just kidding :mrgreen:

dosed150
March 1st, 2006, 08:51 PM
might as well take advantage of ms just delete all the stuff on the drive

bjweeks
March 1st, 2006, 08:53 PM
i saw this in digg all ready orderd!:)

dtfinch
March 1st, 2006, 08:54 PM
Not sure what size they're giving away, but 32mb drives cost about $5 these days. I'll find a use for it somehow. Unless it's write protected.

xequence
March 1st, 2006, 09:05 PM
Learn how a good SAM plan can help your agency protect its software investment and save money by getting the most out of existing assets.

Microsoft Bob all over again?

nblythin
March 1st, 2006, 09:16 PM
The fineprint on the site says:
*This offer is available in the U.S. only while supplies last. Limit one per customer. Please allow 6-8 weeks for delivery.

:???: Typical. They don't mind taking peoples money from all over the world - but when it comes to handing out perks and "stuff" the rest of us are S.O.L. :evil:

BWF89
March 1st, 2006, 09:37 PM
I ordered one and than posted it on 3 different message boards.

-Rick-
March 1st, 2006, 10:44 PM
The fineprint on the site says:
*This offer is available in the U.S. only while supplies last. Limit one per customer. Please allow 6-8 weeks for delivery.

:???: Typical. They don't mind taking peoples money from all over the world - but when it comes to handing out perks and "stuff" the rest of us are S.O.L. :evil:
Hmm where did you see this? I just submitted mine...

dosed150
March 1st, 2006, 10:52 PM
but u can select that ur from anywhere and it sed itll be sent out

xhie
March 1st, 2006, 11:03 PM
Its all good, thank you Mr. Balmer, I lost my usb driver 2 days ago... and I'm not one to turn down free stuff

mstlyevil
March 1st, 2006, 11:11 PM
Ordered mine. :D

imagine
March 1st, 2006, 11:17 PM
You need a passport account for that?
I certainly won't give away my name, adress, email, etc just for a USB stick with probably 32 MB and worth 5 EUR.

The most expensive part for Micros~1 is the shipping.

mstlyevil
March 1st, 2006, 11:19 PM
I certainly won't give away my name, adress, email, etc just for a USB stick with probably 32 MB and worth 5 EUR.

The most expensive part for Micros~1 is the shipping.

I already had one and I gave out my brothers phone number and my junk E-mail account. :twisted:

matthew
March 2nd, 2006, 12:29 AM
I certainly won't give away my name, adress, email, etc just for a USB stick with probably 32 MB and worth 5 EUR.This is precisely why I didn't bite. Nothing is truly free, is it?

BWF89
March 2nd, 2006, 12:54 AM
Why? The worst they can do is send you junk mail which takes a total of 5 seconds to put into the trash can.

GreyFox503
March 2nd, 2006, 02:30 AM
Sweet.

You have to have a passport account to sign in, and then it asks you for your email address... so of course I just used the hotmail account associated with it that I never use.

Microsoft probably has all that info about me anyway with all the other crap I've bought from them (Windows, Xbox, Xbox Live).

mstlyevil
March 2nd, 2006, 03:35 AM
Sweet.

You have to have a passport account to sign in, and then it asks you for your email address... so of course I just used the hotmail account associated with it that I never use.

Microsoft probably has all that info about me anyway with all the other crap I've bought from them (Windows, Xbox, Xbox Live).

I registered my copy of XP so I knew they already had all that info already. I can understand those who have never owned a MSFT product being sceptical of giving out their personal info.

WildTangent
March 2nd, 2006, 06:28 AM
I'm interested in whether or not I'll actually get one :P We'll see...

-Wild

K.Mandla
March 2nd, 2006, 07:13 AM
Six to eight weeks for delivery. Geez. I might die of old age by then. :rolleyes:

bored2k
March 2nd, 2006, 07:17 AM
Six to eight weeks for delivery. Geez. I might die of old age by then. :rolleyes:
That's enough for you to download Damn Small Linux on a 14.4kbps modem ;).

jasay
March 2nd, 2006, 07:32 AM
That's enough for you to download Damn Small Linux on a 14.4kbps modem ;).
Hey, I didn't even think of that. Stupid me. Now it just needs to be a 64mb, fat chance.[-o<

K.Mandla
March 2nd, 2006, 08:06 AM
I hope I don't have to agree to a EULA to use it.

jason.b.c
March 2nd, 2006, 08:14 AM
Ordered mine ( ha ha ha );) :rolleyes:

Ubunted
March 2nd, 2006, 09:44 AM
I would format those things in Linux before ever popping them into a Windows box if I were any of you.

cvcaelen
March 2nd, 2006, 10:18 AM
I would format those things in Linux before ever popping them into a Windows box if I were any of you.

Thats exactly what I'm gonna do with it :D

I'm from Belgium, let's see if I get one :confused:

christiaan

mike998
March 2nd, 2006, 04:19 PM
I ordered one as well and am passing this information over to all my collegues here at work!

John.Michael.Kane
March 25th, 2006, 05:04 AM
Has anyone actually got one of these usb flash drives froms Ms?

dtfinch
March 25th, 2006, 05:08 AM
Still waiting. Maybe there's a backlog, since the news sort of spread to everyone.

K.Mandla
April 9th, 2006, 01:24 AM
Well, it's been almost six weeks. ... Anybody get one yet? :rolleyes:

Swiss
April 9th, 2006, 01:32 AM
Yahooooo! 16Mib! Killer! Not worth it. ;)

jason.b.c
April 9th, 2006, 01:35 AM

Your kidding.!:eek: Well if thats what it is, it wasn't worth my time then to fill out the form.:mad:

Swiss
April 9th, 2006, 01:37 AM
Your kidding.! Well if thats what it is, it wasn't worth my time then to fill out the form.

*This offer is available in the U.S. only while supplies last. USB drive is 16MB in size. Limit one per customer. Please allow 6-8 weeks for delivery.

Haha... You've been had... :D

M$ Is, ahhh.... stingy?

beercz
April 9th, 2006, 02:12 AM
Just curious. Was there anything on it? Did you look?

BoyOfDestiny
April 9th, 2006, 08:05 AM

Dude sweet. That's more than enough room to carry plenty of my CGA DOS games from 2 decades ago...
crossfir.com 16kb
hhm.com 41kb (bloatware, it's from EA)
paratrop 6.6kb
sopwith.exe 47.2 (sdl port available in repos believe it or not)
I don't think I'll ever reach the 16mb limit!.

Alright alright, I didn't order one of these things. They could have at least made it 64mb (so you could stick damnsmalllinux on it...)

jason.b.c
April 9th, 2006, 07:47 PM
*This offer is available in the U.S. only while supplies last. USB drive is 16MB in size. Limit one per customer. Please allow 6-8 weeks for delivery.

Haha... You've been had... :D

M$ Is, ahhh.... stingy?

Haha... You've been had...

Oh very funny;) , nah i guess it is kinda funny though .... oh well..!](*,)

chipwood10
April 17th, 2006, 04:50 PM
All gone. Offer has ended. :(

jason.b.c
April 21st, 2006, 05:21 PM
Please allow 6-8 weeks for delivery.

:mad: Well, It's been like (7) seven weeks for me now, Still haven't got one..:o

Has anybody recieved there's in the mail yet..????:confused:

disabled_20220313
April 21st, 2006, 06:38 PM
I ain't got one either.

Scam artists!

jason.b.c
May 1st, 2006, 05:30 AM
](*,) Eight weeks now..](*,)

Scam artists!

Guess so..[-(

drizek
May 1st, 2006, 06:34 AM
i didnt get mine, but i did get a 512mb drive free-after-rebate and put SLAX on it.

BTW, go to newegg.com if you actually want a flash drive. You can get some pretty big ones for 15 bucks or so.

Master Shake
May 2nd, 2006, 02:18 PM
Been 8 weeks, no flash drive in sight.

However, I may treat myself to one from Newegg next payday.

K.Mandla
May 2nd, 2006, 07:00 PM
Me either.

K.Mandla
May 27th, 2006, 07:38 AM
Hey, look what Microsoft sent me!

Thank you for your interest in the Mystery Solved Windows® licensing promotion. We've received your request for more information to help clarify Microsoft® Windows Desktop Licensing pre-loaded on the USB drive. Unfortunately, this Mystery Solved promotion was available in the U.S. only and while supplies last. Supply is depleted at this time, so we encourage you to please utilize the online alternative today.

Simply download* the Windows Desktop Licensing reference files directly at:

www.microsoft.com/mysterysolved/corp

To help simplify Windows Desktop Licensing, keep these points in mind:

There are two legal ways to acquire a full Windows Desktop license: through your hardware vendor (OEM/System Builder) or Full Packaged Product.
Volume licensing covers Windows Desktop operating system upgrades only.
OEM operating system licenses live and die with each PC–they are not transferable.

Again, thank you for your interest in Mystery Solved and for helping us spread the word about proper Windows licensing.

Sincerely,
Microsoft Corporation
It's not a USB drive! Lucky me! :rolleyes:

There seems to be some confusion, though. They seem to think I wanted their licensing reference files. All I wanted was a free USB drive. Hmmm.

xmastree
May 27th, 2006, 12:09 PM
Get a free one from Audi instead...
http://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=176721

Oh, wait a minute, post #30:

"From the Audi board, apparantly Audi caught wind that their promo made it out well beyond their intended audience and pulled the plug."