PDA

View Full Version : What printer to get?

blazemore
January 15th, 2010, 03:29 PM
I all,
I'm looking to buy a cheap inkjet printer. I'll really only be doing black & white printing, with the odd colour diagram.
Obviously it has to have proper Linux support, unlike my last printer a Lexmark.

I've heard HP have good Linux support, but their printers seem to be expensive.
I'm really looking to spend under £50 (~$80) if possible.

What printers do you guys have? What would you recommend?

Psumi
January 15th, 2010, 03:30 PM
HP is what I recommend, sorry. I have an Officejet 6500 wireless myself. (Some programs will force the printer to use color for some odd reason.)

blazemore
January 15th, 2010, 03:32 PM
Unfortunately I can't justify the cost. I'm an impoverished student whose printer has just broken.

gn2
January 15th, 2010, 03:33 PM
Definitely an HP, one with separate inktanks.

Here's a list to choose from: http://www.linuxprinting.org/printer_list.cgi?make=HP

john geary
January 15th, 2010, 03:36 PM
I use an Epson Stylus C62, cost £30 3yrs ago and it runs perfectly, colour photos are perfect as well

ThomasWM
January 15th, 2010, 03:42 PM
Go for a printer that will use 'counterfeit' cartridges.

I use an Epson 680, now elderly, and the inks are about a fifth of the price of the Epson, and are fine.

brookie
January 15th, 2010, 03:43 PM
I recommend Brother. I have a couple and the linux support is pretty good. Even got an old one to work with help on these forums.

Check this out: http://welcome.solutions.brother.com/bsc/public_s/id/linux/en/index.html

Hope this helps, and good luck finding a printer you like.

Methuselah
January 15th, 2010, 03:56 PM
As someone said, cross-reference the open printing database and a site like Amazon.
HP is usually said to have the best support but I have an Epson which works perfectly for printing and scanning.

Berk
January 15th, 2010, 04:12 PM
Another Epson user here, my own Stylus R300 works like a charm (apart from it's on grumps if the paper isn't set 'just so') and my gf's DX7400 works happily, although I did have to add a line to sane's epson config file to to get the scanner working.

humphreybc
January 15th, 2010, 04:44 PM
Hey! I'm also a poor student and I bought a printer the other day.

I was told to get an HP, so, I did. And it is MARVELOUS!

I bought an "HP Deskjet F2480" and downloaded the hplip drivers from the net. It was a simple .sh executable file and I ran it, totally set up my printer for me with scanning and everything.

The printer itself is actually very nice, it's a scanner/copier/printer and the quality is high - the scan I took of an image I drew was good, and I printed out a couple of documents and they came out nice and sharp.

I haven't tried printing a photograph, not really my thing. Home printers aren't meant to print photographs - being a photographer I usually go get stuff professionally done.

Anyway, overall I am very pleased. Go HP, you guys rock!

blazemore
January 15th, 2010, 05:35 PM
Ha, I just ordered an HP Deskjet F2480 as well!
It looks good.