PDA

View Full Version : Genealogy Websites

alindgr1
January 15th, 2010, 03:05 PM
I am looking to purchase a membership to a genealogy website, and I am looking into reviews. I know that ancestry.com is the biggest and best known, but we all know that does not mean that it the best one (ie, Microsoft).

I have found posts on the forums here about Genealogy software, but I cannot find any about websites. I have read a few reviews online, one had onegreatfamily.com as number one, and ancestry.com as number two. Another had Ancestry.com as number one, and onegreatfamily.com was way down in number seven. I was a little surprised at the big difference in the two. I am not just looking at these two, that is just an example of the difference in reviews.

My question is this, which website does everybody use? Is there a big difference in information access between free and paid memberships?

Thanks in advance, y'all are the best.

obithius
January 15th, 2010, 03:43 PM
I've used ancestry for a while,and it's pretty good.I've found things out that would have taken me a lifetime to otherwise unravel!
However,some words of caution.,,I only paid for basic membership,and you soon run out of things you can look at without having to upgrade; their automatic searches are great, and suggest loads of matches for you, but don't rely on them without checking yourself; and if you want things like birth certificates,you still have to pay for them and get them sent to you the old fashioned way.
Hope this is of some help.
Chris

Tristam Green
January 15th, 2010, 03:54 PM
I use Geni.com - it's pretty nifty, and largely a "do-it-yourself" kind of site. You make your family tree as large as you want, and it can suggest persons to connect to it. It shows relationships like you just would not believe.

newbie2
January 15th, 2010, 04:00 PM
http://www.gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page
http://library.gramps-project.org/
;)

alindgr1
January 16th, 2010, 12:29 AM
Thanks everybody. I think your suggestions will help out a lot.

mudguts
January 16th, 2010, 02:41 AM
I use Geni.com since I like the flash look of it.
plus it's REALLY easy to use.
My parents were pretty impressed when I put the entire family up in about 20 minutes.