PDA

View Full Version : Xubuntu, with other gui programs.

Marvin666
January 15th, 2010, 09:04 AM
Which do you prefer, kde or gnome programs?
I use the kde ones.
I actually have kde installed as well, but can't figure out how to change the login back to xfce, and when I log out, it takes me to a terminal, and I have to reboot to get a gui.

mikewhatever
January 15th, 2010, 09:37 AM
If you like KDE and its programs, why did you install Xubuntu in the first place? Kind of dumb, if you ask me.;)

blueshiftoverwatch
January 15th, 2010, 09:43 AM
If you like KDE and its programs, why did you install Xubuntu in the first place? Kind of dumb, if you ask me.;)
Mostly due to the fact that having to load both KDE and Gnome libraries will negate most of the speed benefits of running Xubuntu on an older machine.

konqueror7
January 15th, 2010, 10:13 AM
i prefer gnome, never been fond of kde ui elements,,,:D

xfce anyway based on gnome, just lighter,,,

Marvin666
January 15th, 2010, 11:02 AM
I have kde, but rarely use it. I like the look, and speed of xfce. I like the kde versions because they tend to be more powerful, and have more features. My laptop slows to a crawl when if I boot into kde, so I might just take it back off. Once I learn the new terminal commands, I'll disable gnome services and my system should be even faster.

Techsnap
January 15th, 2010, 11:37 AM
xfce anyway based on gnome, just lighter,,,

ITS NOT BASED ON GNOME!!!!!! It's amazing how Xubuntu makes it appear that way. Just because it's based on gtk != Gnome. You can install XFCE without any Gnome libraries and it doesn't depend on anything in Gnome either.

k64
January 15th, 2010, 11:43 AM
Here's how to switch DE's without installing a new Ubuntu-based OS:

$ sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop

$ sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop

$ sudo apt-get install xubuntu-desktop

Rodney9
January 15th, 2010, 11:51 AM
Blackbox

Hallvor
January 15th, 2010, 12:00 PM
Which do you prefer, kde or gnome programs?
I use the kde ones.
I actually have kde installed as well, but can't figure out how to change the login back to xfce, and when I log out, it takes me to a terminal, and I have to reboot to get a gui.

If you prefer KDE applications, it is better to run KDE. If you want to mix KDE applications and a lighter desktop environment, the integrate a lot better with LXDE than with XFCE, IMHO.

k64
January 15th, 2010, 12:02 PM
If you prefer KDE applications, why not just use KDE..?

Like I said before,

By the wording of the post, this has already been done.

konqueror7
January 15th, 2010, 12:37 PM
ITS NOT BASED ON GNOME!!!!!! It's amazing how Xubuntu makes it appear that way. Just because it's based on gtk != Gnome. You can install XFCE without any Gnome libraries and it doesn't depend on anything in Gnome either.

i did not mean to say that xfce is gnome, i said based, in terms of ui elements...;)

Grifulkin
January 15th, 2010, 02:26 PM
I like gtk apps, but I do use a few qt apps, not that it matters I have both up-to-date packages so I can run whatever. Like I have pidgin that uses gtk and I have VLC that uses qt. That being said I only use openbox with tint2 and I believe the only gnome or kde dependencies I have on my Arch setup are for gksu. So... yeah.

Tibuda
January 15th, 2010, 02:56 PM
DE-independent apps.

gn2
January 15th, 2010, 03:14 PM
When I used Xfce I used a mix of all sorts of apps, whatever ones I liked best for the task at hand.

Psumi
January 15th, 2010, 04:36 PM
I try to use XF Programs, such as xfburn (instead of brasero), parole (instead of totem) and ayttm (instead of pidgin, because pidgin requires gconf for whatever reason.)

I wish XFCE had its own graphical sudo, because gksu/do requires gconf and other gnome depends.

Warpnow
January 15th, 2010, 05:29 PM
i did not mean to say that xfce is gnome, i said based, in terms of ui elements...;)

Mmm...I don't really think that's true. They have similarities of course, but they are so basic and fundamental...I mean, most of the similarities, they also share with windows 95.

user1397
January 15th, 2010, 06:13 PM
I actually have kde installed as well, but can't figure out how to change the login back to xfce, and when I log out, it takes me to a terminal, and I have to reboot to get a gui.To fix this, read the 'Helpful Stuff' part of this guide: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=205002

Marvin666
January 15th, 2010, 09:14 PM
What was the default in xubuntu jaunty? I liked the look of that one, and it actually makes you type a username. I got the karmic xubuntu default back for now, but it still takes me to a terminal when I log out.

konqueror7
January 16th, 2010, 11:29 AM
Mmm...I don't really think that's true. They have similarities of course, but they are so basic and fundamental...I mean, most of the similarities, they also share with windows 95.

yes, in a general sense of ui elements like buttons and labels...they are both share the common library,,,and most of the design of xfce comes from gnome,,,by the way i mean design, ui look and feel and so, for example the 2 panels,,,hope my statement will be clear this time...:D

XubuRoxMySox
January 16th, 2010, 12:14 PM
Gnome and Xfce are both GTK-based. Even the super ultralight LXDE desktop environment is GTK-based. That is why Xfce "feels like Gnome-Lite." It's really not, but they share the GTK-stuff.

I mix and match. I hated Brasero, for example, for its hit-or-miss crapshoot unreliability, and heard such good stuff about K3B that I tried it. Sure I got some QT library files that K3B depends on, but for me it's not about disk space anyway. I use it because I like it. Mixed apps are no problem at all, whether GTK or QT based.

-Robin

Techsnap
January 16th, 2010, 12:29 PM
by the way i mean design, ui look and feel and so, for example the 2 panels,,,hope my statement will be clear this time...

What you have used is Xubuntu, try vanilla XFCE and you'll soon see how different it is.

they are both share the common library

Just because something uses gtk doesn't make it gnome based.

konqueror7
January 16th, 2010, 01:21 PM
What you have used is Xubuntu, try vanilla XFCE and you'll soon see how different it is.

Just because something uses gtk doesn't make it gnome based.

it is still based on gtk, the very foundation of gnome de...yes xubuntu and opensuse, and this thread is regarding xubuntu, not vanilla xfce...

the main point is, design followed by xfce is similar to gnome...and in the very sense that gtk is the foundation of xfce makes it very similiar to gnome...okay i may have interchanged the my terms gtk and gnome, but for me, they are nearly synonimous,,,one thing i see it as similar is, you can't setup a pure xfce desktop and applications, without having to install gnome apps libs, in comparison to kde that it has qt...

this is my view to it, it may be wrong for you, but this is the way i see it...:D

Techsnap
January 16th, 2010, 01:29 PM
you can't setup a pure xfce desktop and applications, without having to install gnome apps libs

Yes you can, just because you need gtk it still doesn't make that part of Gnome. GTK is the toolkit used in both Gnome and XFCE and just because something uses GTK doesn't automatically mean it's part of Gnome.

this is my view to it, it may be wrong for you, but this is the way i see it...

From a technical aspect it's completely wrong.

konqueror7
January 16th, 2010, 01:32 PM
Yes you can, just because you need gtk it still doesn't make that part of Gnome. GTK is the toolkit used in both Gnome and XFCE and just because something uses GTK doesn't automatically mean it's part of Gnome.

From a technical aspect it's completely wrong.

thats why i wrote that i see it similarly, i don't have to agree with you, i have my own opinion,,,

yes, it is technically wrong when taking all my opinions literally, but that is why there is an opinion...

Techsnap
January 16th, 2010, 01:35 PM
thats why i wrote that i see it similarly, i don't have to agree with you, i have my own opinion,,,

It might be your opinion that it seems to be Gnome based. But telling others it is, is just spreading misinformation, you need to tell people facts not opinions. Just coming on and outright saying well XFCE is Gnome-based may well be your opionion but the fact is it ISN'T. Sure you have freedom to say what you want, but when you're talking about something to someone you need to tell them the facts so they don't get confused later on.

If you don't want to tell people the facts then that's fine, I'm glad you enjoy giving Linux a bad image (because at the end of the day that's all it does). The FACT IS you can install XFCE without ANY of Gnomes core dependencies therefore it's not Gnome based, you could say it's LIKE Gnome, but it's not Gnome based.

detroit/zero
January 16th, 2010, 01:56 PM
My Gnomez are KDE based.

I think that makes my XFCE a red-headed step-child.

konqueror7
January 16th, 2010, 01:57 PM
It might be your opinion that it seems to be Gnome based. But telling others it is, is just spreading misinformation, you need to tell people facts not opinions. Just coming on and outright saying well XFCE is Gnome-based may well be your opionion but the fact is it ISN'T. Sure you have freedom to say what you want, but when you're talking about something to someone you need to tell them the facts so they don't get confused later on.

If you don't want to tell people the facts then that's fine, I'm glad you enjoy giving Linux a bad image (because at the end of the day that's all it does). The FACT IS you can install XFCE without ANY of Gnomes core dependencies therefore it's not Gnome based, you could say it's LIKE Gnome, but it's not Gnome based.

the fact is, you are being involved in a thread in the community cafe where opinions are that are fun,,,you can clearly see that above in the header,,,

i've noticed that everything here you take it literally,,, and yes, i agree with you that fact matters, and i believe no one would be so stupid in taking 1 post and personal opinion from 1 user as a fact, that is just plain stupid...

the very point of me saying xfce is based on gnome, is based on the fact of design, setup of all components,,,one may argue that gnome is just a polished version of xfce...

yes, you can install a pure xfce without gnome dependecies, and then what, you got just a desktop with which you cannot do anything else,,its just plain stupid...

then i say, its 'LIKE' gnome, but for the fact that visually its based pretty much on gnome rather than kde, makes me say its 'BASED' on it...

konqueror7
January 16th, 2010, 02:01 PM
My Gnomez are KDE based.

I think that makes my XFCE a red-headed step-child.

if gnome is kde based, that is just not right,,,,:D

xfce makes it a look alike of your gnome,,,:D

i think no one will understand my point, i'm not from a english speaking country, so the way i use words is not the same from yours...so when i say 'based' i meant look-alike...

RiceMonster
January 16th, 2010, 03:57 PM
.the very point of me saying xfce is based on gnome, is based on the fact of design, setup of all components,,,one may argue that gnome is just a polished version of xfce...

One may argue that and be wrong. Use vanilla Xfce and find out the design is, in fact, quite different. Xubuntu is made to feel like GNOME, so if you've only used Xubuntu, I could see how you would come to that conclusion.

yes, you can install a pure xfce without gnome dependecies, and then what, you got just a desktop with which you cannot do anything else,,its just plain stupid...

Maybe there's a lot of apps you may want that have GNOME dependencies, but that DOES NOT make Xfce GNOME based.

then i say, its 'LIKE' gnome, but for the fact that visually its based pretty much on gnome rather than kde, makes me say its 'BASED' on it...

If it was based on GNOME, it would have started off as a fork, or maybe an attempt to create something similar. It wasn't. It started off as it's own project, completely separate, and had it's own design goals (and it still does). The only thing they share in common is GTK. If anything, Xfce is inspired more by CDE than it is GNOME. Again, try vanilla Xfce, not Xubuntu which is made to feel like GNOME.

Also, please note that in this case using "it's my opinion" as an argument is just a cop-out.

konqueror7
January 16th, 2010, 04:08 PM
One may argue that and be wrong. Use vanilla Xfce and find out the design is, in fact, quite different. Xubuntu is made to feel like GNOME, so if you've only used Xubuntu, I could see how you would come to that conclusion.

Maybe there's a lot of apps you may want that have GNOME dependencies, but that DOES NOT make Xfce GNOME based.

If it was based on GNOME, it would have started off as a fork, or maybe an attempt to create something similar. It wasn't. It started off as it's own project, completely separate, and had it's own design goals (and it still does). The only thing they share in common is GTK. If anything, Xfce is inspired more by CDE than it is GNOME. Again, try vanilla Xfce, not Xubuntu which is made to feel like GNOME.

Also, please note that in this case using "it's my opinion" as an argument is just a cop-out.

i've tried xfce in ubuntu, opensuse, and arch...and its different..xubuntu was the first time, so i based my arguments there...i have may have been understood, what i can do?:D

Psumi
January 16th, 2010, 04:16 PM
Since SLiM is in lucid, shouldn't Xubuntu be using it? Just a thought.

MooPi
January 16th, 2010, 04:16 PM
Blackbox
Go with a BOX "Openbox"

SuperSonic4
January 16th, 2010, 04:19 PM

The fast-track to duplicate apps and cluttered menus

konqueror7
January 16th, 2010, 04:21 PM
the fast-track to duplicate apps and cluttered menus

lol

Psumi
January 16th, 2010, 04:23 PM

Or do the metapackages:

gnome-core

xfce4

kde

Simian Man
January 16th, 2010, 04:31 PM
Since SLiM is in lucid, shouldn't Xubuntu be using it? Just a thought.

SLiM doesn't support remote logins, fingerprint checking or user switching, while gdm does. I personally don't use any of those features, so I use SLiM when using Xfce alone. I think enough people use those that gdm should still probably be the default.