PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Blank screen on reboot after clean install

tonyaquilts
January 15th, 2010, 03:17 AM
I had ubuntu running just fine on another computer, but had to move things around to make Windows7 run better. So after backing up Home, I switched hard drives, pulled the video card, and adjusted RAM, I tried booting up. The computer found all the changes and did its thing. But then it hung with a blank screen.

I figured that it didn't recongnize the video driver for this computer, or something, so I did a fresh install with 9.10 to start over from scratch. The boot up went great, and finished completely. I made a few changes to the desktop, and loaded in my archived firefox bookmarks and evolution files. After rebooting, the first ubuntu logo came up, but then the blank screen, with no drum sounds. I tried a few more times rebooting and hitting esc, but I don't know what I am doing at that menu. I also tried the F1 option, but again, I don't know anything. One other time I was able to boot into ubuntu all the way when I was hitting esc slowing (waiting) and somehow was able to get the login and the desktop just fine. I haven't been able to get that to happen again.

Can someone walk me through the steps to troubleshoot this? I don't know any terminal jargon or commands, and haven't really got a clue, but I really want to learn and figure this out. I don't even know how to go in from the command line to see what my system specs or video specs are to tell you.

Help please?
Thanks,
Tonya

tonyaquilts
January 15th, 2010, 07:19 PM
Can anyone help me as to where to start with this? I have read some threads about loading the "vesa" driver instead. What is that, and how do I do it?

Is it possible that ubuntu just doesn't like that particular computer? Should I move it to another computer instead?

Where is a good place to start?

Thanks for your time.
Tonya