PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Photoshop CS3 + cs4

Matt_Johnson
January 15th, 2010, 02:36 AM
I was wondering if it was possible to get photoshop cs4 on ubuntu other then virtually install it on windows or is there an adequate photo editing program for ubuntu

SyCo123
January 15th, 2010, 02:52 AM
CS2 will run under wine it's a little buggy last time I tried but ran very well and was completely useable. AFAIK CS3 and 4 are not yet supported. No Lightroom 2.0 either so my main photo processing PC is Windows(laptop is Ubuntu for years now). I don't virtualize it as it's primary function is processing photos and I can squeeze a Windows game or two in as well :)

As for photo editors for Ubuntu there is the Gimp which is an excellent photo editor with an interface that is both somewhat clunky and innovative at the same time.

Just for fun I wrote 2 sets of tutorials one for CS2 and the other for the Gimp 2.4. Gimp 2.6 has now has the essential healing tool.

You can get both ebooks from my site http://goingManual.com, all for the price of a thanks ;)

Matt_Johnson
January 15th, 2010, 03:34 AM
How is gimp in comparison to photoshop?

Enigmapond
January 15th, 2010, 03:40 AM
I find GIMP very functional and use it professionally. I used to use CS3 and there are things I miss but The GIMP is the next best thing and is very versatile...forget trying to get PS to be functional on Ubuntu...it won't happen.

Matt_Johnson
January 15th, 2010, 04:39 AM
alright thanks for the input!:D

Deviated Ghost
January 15th, 2010, 06:15 AM
Hi,

I used a lot of photoshop and since I tried GIMP I don't want anything else... I think it's just the best that exists!

Linux FTW!!!:D

SyCo123
January 15th, 2010, 07:48 AM
Gimp vs PS is a debate that rages on and has done for years. Basiclly Gimp is an excellent free program that is likely to be way more program than you need (no disrespect, just it's very powerful), while Photoshop cost hundreds of dollars and again is an excellent program that is likely to be way more program than you need. :)

I've used ps and GIMP since 2000. Then ps6 ruled but for basic photograph manipulations (if that's what you using the software for) Gimp is equal. Personally I use PS far more always have and am more familiar with where everything is and have several action sets that are common in the wedding industry, but I do miss Gimp's right click menu!

Matt_Johnson
January 16th, 2010, 05:47 AM
I'm having trouble adjusting to gimp; I keep pressing photoshop commands. I guess like its not a fair comparison because photoshop has been developed by paid professionals and sold for 100's. But far as a free photo editing program it has met my standards.

SyCo123
January 16th, 2010, 09:50 AM
It's kind of like comparing Windows and Linux, they achieve basically the same thing but in different ways. I'll bet if you only use Gimp for a while you'll go back to Photoshop and miss the way Gimp does some things. It's just familiarity, the more you use Gimp the more you'll come to like it.

Have fun exploring Gimp, Google for tutorials and remember if it doesn't work out, you get a 100% refund :D

Turin Turambar
January 16th, 2010, 10:12 AM
I use CS4 on VirtualBox with Vista X64 installed. I stripped ALL unnecessary things from vista, themes, eye candy, services, sound... and it's running smoothly on a 4GB RAM (2gb allocated for VB). Never been happier - I'm still in Ubuntu, but working in PS!

Flag
January 16th, 2010, 11:21 AM
Running CS 2 with wine and CS 4 on virtual machine, no probs.

Matt_Johnson
January 16th, 2010, 07:43 PM
It's kind of like comparing Windows and Linux, they achieve basically the same thing but in different ways. I'll bet if you only use Gimp for a while you'll go back to Photoshop and miss the way Gimp does some things. It's just familiarity, the more you use Gimp the more you'll come to like it.

Have fun exploring Gimp, Google for tutorials and remember if it doesn't work out, you get a 100% refund :D
True that haha. Can't go wrong with a free program :P.

Matt_Johnson
January 16th, 2010, 07:45 PM
Running CS 2 with wine and CS 4 on virtual machine, no probs.
:o I've heard people having problems with it. i might give that a shot

Matt_Johnson
January 16th, 2010, 07:46 PM
I use CS4 on VirtualBox with Vista X64 installed. I stripped ALL unnecessary things from vista, themes, eye candy, services, sound... and it's running smoothly on a 4GB RAM (2gb allocated for VB). Never been happier - I'm still in Ubuntu, but working in PS!
I dunno tho I don't want to install Vista or anything; I just wanted to see if it was possible natively to run on ubuntu.