PDA

View Full Version : openwrt or dd-wrt?

markp1989
January 15th, 2010, 02:19 AM
i have WRT54GL router, and i am thinking of installing a different os on it.

i know that openwrt and dd-wrt are available, whats the advantages of each one?

thanks Markp1989

juancarlospaco
January 15th, 2010, 03:02 AM
Installing Linux the imagination is the limit,
i see a Tuto to use an SD flash card and install Debian based distro on them.

I want to purchase one of these, i installed Linux on a Cisco router too, funny.
:)

cariboo
January 15th, 2010, 04:51 AM
I just installed dd-wrt on my WRT54GS, It now has a lot more features than the original software. There are a lot of features that I don't need, but over all I'm quite happy with the way things work. The one thing I have noticed, is that the wireless signal is a lot higher. With the factory software I was always getting about 70-75% signal strength in my den, which is were the router is located, now it's 100%. The signal on my SMC AP, in my shop also seems to be higher, again the signal strength was 70-75% and now it's 100%. I also like the bandwidth monitor,so far after installing dd-wrt 9 days ago my bandwidth incoming is 8.9Gb and outgoing is .5Gb.

Overall I'm pretty happy with it.

markp1989
January 15th, 2010, 05:28 AM
I just installed dd-wrt on my WRT54GS, It now has a lot more features than the original software. There are a lot of features that I don't need, but over all I'm quite happy with the way things work. The one thing I have noticed, is that the wireless signal is a lot higher. With the factory software I was always getting about 70-75% signal strength in my den, which is were the router is located, now it's 100%. The signal on my SMC AP, in my shop also seems to be higher, again the signal strength was 70-75% and now it's 100%. I also like the bandwidth monitor,so far after installing dd-wrt 9 days ago my bandwidth incoming is 8.9Gb and outgoing is .5Gb.

Overall I'm pretty happy with it.

i like the idea of a bandwith monitor as my isp throttle me if i go over a set limit between certian times of the day. ( i used to set it off every day, now i have configured rtorrent run slow at peak times)

pwnst*r
January 15th, 2010, 06:00 AM
WRT54GL and a WRT150N both running DD-WRT - the GL for almost two years. More features than I'll ever need, but that's fine.

markp1989
January 15th, 2010, 06:21 AM
WRT54GL and a WRT150N both running DD-WRT - the GL for almost two years. More features than I'll ever need, but that's fine.

thanks for the reply.

every thread i see you post in lol

im gona do some research before i do, i originaly got the router with the intention of installing open-wrt on it, havnt got around to doing it yet.

and now i know there are more options im gona have to researh before i install anything .