PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] ALSA instead of Pulseaudio

marin123
January 14th, 2010, 10:30 PM
Hello,
i have a problem with LMMS: when i choose alsa output i cant get audio (no sound) and i have midi input, but when i choose pulseaudio as output i can get sound, but cant have midi input (m-audio o2 if its important)..
Is there any way to switch from pulse to alsa? i tried using Default Sound Card and it cant start...
I'm using 64-bit karmic..

thorgal
January 14th, 2010, 10:39 PM
open a terminal and type

pulseaudio -k

to stop pulseaudio and try lmms with the ALSA backend again.

This is not a fix but a way to see whether this is the problem.

AutoStatic
January 15th, 2010, 11:20 AM
Pulseaudio will respawn immediately again after killing it, unless you tell Pulse not to do so with a client.conf file.
Another option would be to use the pasuspender command. The steps would be then:
- Open LMMS and select ALSA as the Audio Interface (Edit - Settings - Speaker icon), don't close it yet
- Open a terminal and enter the command aplay -l, this will output info on your soundcards, we're interested in the part after 'card 0:', or 'card 1:' if you have one and want to use that specific card. If it's an onboard card it will probably say 'Intel'
- Go back to LMMS and enter 'hw:Intel' in the 'device' field instead of 'default'. If you leave it on 'default' LMMS still won't make a sound because the 'default' ALSA device is.... Pulseaudio and we're going to supend it with the pasuspender command
- Click OK and close LMMS
- Restart LMMS by going back to the terminal and enter pasuspender -- lmms. If you want to avoid the terminal you can enter the command also after pressing Alt+F2 or create a new shortcut for LMMS with this command
- Now Pulse gets suspended so LMMS can use ALSA as the backend
- LMMS starts with sound and MIDI

gradinaruvasile
January 15th, 2010, 01:59 PM
Pasuspender doesnt really work in 9.10. And cannot set alsa as output device as long as pulseaudio is running.
Only way is to kill pulseaudio at startup, set in the client.conf autospawn=no and edit alsa.conf to not load the pulseaudio modules. The last step is required because some alsa programs doesnt work if the pulseaudio module is loaded even if pulseaudio itself isnt.

JC Cheloven
January 16th, 2010, 04:29 AM
Pasuspender doesnt really work in 9.10. And cannot set alsa as output device as long as pulseaudio is running.
Only way is to kill pulseaudio at startup, set in the client.conf autospawn=no and edit alsa.conf to not load the pulseaudio modules. The last step is required because some alsa programs doesnt work if the pulseaudio module is loaded even if pulseaudio itself isnt.

In my experience, it is the way to go.
Perhaps the OP needs a more detailed explanation on how to do this this:

- Create the file ~/.pulse/client.conf
- Stuff it with a single line:
autospawn=no
- When you want to get rid of pulseaudio, execute
pulseaudio -k
- When you want again pulseaudio around, execute
pulseaudio -D

None of these require root privileges.

EDIT: If for some reason you want to completely uninstall pulseaudio and get things working with alsa only, follow post #4 here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1313253 It's how I'm running my main UbuntuStudio (due to a pulse-problem with my hammerfall 9632 pci card).

marin123
January 22nd, 2010, 11:35 AM
thanks guys, this works great :))

marin123
February 8th, 2010, 06:02 PM
does anyone know why i'm getting cracking sound when i play lmms... i dont know when it started happening but i know this wasnt happening before...
when i play something in lmms sound breaks (doesnt play) and i hear a crack instead of sound (cracking sound like in cassetes)...
this is very annoying and i cant work anything with this problem (not that the world is missing some great stuff from me :D :P)

JC Cheloven
February 11th, 2010, 01:59 AM
does anyone know why i'm getting cracking sound when i play lmms... i dont know when it started happening but i know this wasnt happening before...
when i play something in lmms sound breaks (doesnt play) and i hear a crack instead of sound (cracking sound like in cassetes)...
this is very annoying and i cant work anything with this problem (not that the world is missing some great stuff from me :D :P)

Have you the RT kernel, and rt permissions correctly configured? Nice value set to something suitable? Please see the rt section of:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuStudioPreparation

marin123
February 11th, 2010, 01:41 PM
i have rt kernel, and i'm using LMMS with alsa, everything works great, i can use vst's...
thanks for your help!