PDA

View Full Version : The Floppy Disk

FoxLogic
March 1st, 2006, 04:50 PM
How can I get around this problem?

lol

hesee
March 1st, 2006, 06:20 PM
Lol, i don't know. But, could you tell where did you get that wallpaper? Looks nice :mrgreen:

Kvark
March 1st, 2006, 06:53 PM
Err, how can Microsoft control what Ubuntu users do with their floppy disks? :?

Did Ballmer call Shuttleworth and say "We don't like that your users remove our filesystems from their floppy disks, please add a digital restriction to stop that." and Shuttleworth answered "Yeah, sure, of course we can't let Ubuntu users do that to your poor filesystems."?? :-k

earobinson
March 1st, 2006, 07:00 PM
weird error, can even google another refrence to it, maybe you should try a bug report (https://launchpad.net/malone)

hesee
March 1st, 2006, 07:28 PM
Is this a kind of joke?

YourSurrogateGod
March 1st, 2006, 07:40 PM
Is this a kind of joke?
From my point of view it seems like it...

matthew
March 1st, 2006, 07:43 PM
Is this a kind of joke?I think so. It made me laugh, anyway.

ounas
March 1st, 2006, 08:26 PM
AS far as I am concerned, is it not time for the floppy to be buired.

-Ounas :confused:

earobinson
March 1st, 2006, 08:34 PM
AS far as I am concerned, is it not time for the floppy to be buired.

-Ounas :confused:
why it still has a use for small files that you want to transfer but not keep

YourSurrogateGod
March 1st, 2006, 08:35 PM
why it still has a use for small files that you want to transfer but not keep
A 64 MB USB drive would be more practical and you'll be less likely to lose the data if the thing gets handled somewhat roughly.

Kvark
March 1st, 2006, 09:04 PM
A 64 MB USB drive would be more practical and you'll be less likely to lose the data if the thing gets handled somewhat roughly.
But with a floppy you don't have to crawl in under the desk at a computer lab that hasn't been properly cleaned for half a year and dig through countless network and power cords to fumble in the relative darkness under the desk for an usb port at the back of the computer.

darkoptix
March 1st, 2006, 09:17 PM
most comps have front usbs ports now.

To me the floppy died a long time ago, and they are way to expensive to buy, I'd rather spend money on blank dvds, which probably are cheaper...

YourSurrogateGod
March 1st, 2006, 09:35 PM
But with a floppy you don't have to crawl in under the desk at a computer lab that hasn't been properly cleaned for half a year and dig through countless network and power cords to fumble in the relative darkness under the desk for an usb port at the back of the computer.
Meh... reliability wins over for me.

Bragador
March 1st, 2006, 09:37 PM

I always forget that it's not everyone that has a laptop...

Thank Thor for portable computers !

prizrak
March 1st, 2006, 09:41 PM
FTP sites are your friends ;) Most Unis give you free FTP space, I ran my own private server just for that.

BWF89
March 1st, 2006, 09:52 PM
When I first started useing computers in 1997 floppy discs were all the rage since CD burners were so expensive. I remember saving pics, music, and games on them.

Now most computers dont even come with a floppy drive anymore :(.

Bragador
March 1st, 2006, 09:56 PM
I think it's a good thing. USB sticks were what a lot of people were waiting for. There was a time when files were too big for floppy disks but nothing was invented yet to replace them. There were some zip drives but it wasn't packaged with your computer by default.

I'm really happy that we finally have a modern floppy alternative.

All hail USB STICK !

BWF89
March 1st, 2006, 10:08 PM
I think it's a good thing. USB sticks were what a lot of people were waiting for. There was a time when files were too big for floppy disks but nothing was invented yet to replace them. There were some zip drives but it wasn't packaged with your computer by default.

I'm really happy that we finally have a modern floppy alternative.

All hail USB STICK !
Yeah but floppy discs are 0ld sk00l.

Bragador
March 1st, 2006, 10:12 PM
Yeah but floppy discs are 0ld sk00l.

Yeah but floppy disks are easily corrupted.

matthew
March 1st, 2006, 10:15 PM
Yeah but floppy discs are 0ld sk00l.Real men use 5 1/4" floppies. :) Actually my first computer storage device was a cassette tape drive--15 minutes to load a 5K program!

FoxLogic
March 1st, 2006, 10:19 PM
I actually had to add my floppy drive to the computer. I did build it my self though. lol

Yes it was a joke.

If you want my wallpaper. It's attached.

jasay
March 1st, 2006, 10:53 PM
Real men use 5 1/4" floppies. :) Actually my first computer storage device was a cassette tape drive--15 minutes to load a 5K program!
My dad used to have an old 8-something inch floppy drive. That thing was bigger than my current tower. We took it apart and the motor was the size of a pop can! :shock: I wish I could remember how much those disks could hold. Not much, that's for sure.

Bragador
March 1st, 2006, 10:57 PM
I still have Civilization 1 on 5'' 1/4 floppy disks ! It needed 2 hahaha !

I was 9 years old back then... Those were the days... Sprite games like scorched earth, and the like ruled !

imagine
March 1st, 2006, 11:29 PM
All my computers still have floppy disk drives and I'm proud of it!

matthew
March 1st, 2006, 11:47 PM
My dad used to have an old 8-something inch floppy drive. That thing was bigger than my current tower. We took it apart and the motor was the size of a pop can! :shock: I wish I could remember how much those disks could hold. Not much, that's for sure.According to this page... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Floppy_disk_drive ...those 8 inch floppy drives held either 80k, 256k, 500k, or 1200k depending on the year/model. I remember my first floppy drive was a 5 1/4" that held 360k per disk and I remember thinking I would never use 360K and so I would only ever need one floppy. Ahh, youth. :)

BoyOfDestiny
March 2nd, 2006, 04:30 AM
I still have Civilization 1 on 5'' 1/4 floppy disks ! It needed 2 hahaha !

I was 9 years old back then... Those were the days... Sprite games like scorched earth, and the like ruled !

Am I too nostalgic for my own good? ;)

http://img108.imageshack.us/img108/2729/screenshot18ez.th.png (http://img108.imageshack.us/my.php?image=screenshot18ez.png)

jasay
March 2nd, 2006, 05:36 AM
According to this page... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Floppy_disk_drive ...those 8 inch floppy drives held either 80k, 256k, 500k, or 1200k depending on the year/model. I remember my first floppy drive was a 5 1/4" that held 360k per disk and I remember thinking I would never use 360K and so I would only ever need one floppy. Ahh, youth. :)
Hey, thanks for the link. Now if only I knew the year. . .