PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] A comment about windows 7

brook adams
January 14th, 2010, 09:36 PM
Hi All...

I hope this is a good spot for this comment.

I recently started classes at a community college where a lot of the course work requires windows. I set up a dual boot for my laptop and installed windows 7... Well, it's very pretty, but after two years with ubuntu, I remembered why I came over to Linux. The level of paranoia, the clunkyness, the unpredictable behavior of windows is really annoying.

After I finish my school work, I restart and boot into ubuntu which really feels good after using windows.

SuperSonic4
January 14th, 2010, 09:39 PM
Given the level of maturity usually shown you've done well - not one Micro$oft or winblows

baddog144
January 14th, 2010, 09:49 PM
Given the level of maturity usually shown you've done well - not one Micro$oft or winblows
I agree. Those sorts of comments really get on my nerves :x

kellemes
January 14th, 2010, 09:52 PM
Hi All...

I hope this is a good spot for this comment.

I recently started classes at a community college where a lot of the course work requires windows. I set up a dual boot for my laptop and installed windows 7... Well, it's very pretty, but after two years with ubuntu, I remembered why I came over to Linux. The level of paranoia, the clunkyness, the unpredictable behavior of windows is really annoying.

After I finish my school work, I restart and boot into ubuntu which really feels good after using windows.

Must be something wrong with the way you setup your system..
Windows 7 is running fine at my end.

HPD2
January 14th, 2010, 10:57 PM
I use both Windows 7 and Ubuntu, i can say both are great and running fine. I have yet to have a major issue with win7.

nishant.singh28
January 14th, 2010, 11:02 PM
I hadn't much problems with Windows, only that it took out my laptop heat sink twice :D. Really. But I agree, you are always paranoid on a Windows system, mainly because a reinstall means almost 4 hours of work. On Ubuntu, for me atleast, with a hi speed flash drive and weekly backups on a fast external disk means a 10 min downtime at max.

bruno9779
January 14th, 2010, 11:12 PM
I agree. Those sorts of comments really get on my nerves :x

There are 2 reasons for writing win-dose or M$.

The obvious slanderous one, and an attempt at getting less results for the words windows and microsoft in search engines.

It kinda makes sense, This is a linux forum, getting redirecter here when you google windows just does not make sense

by the way, google hits:

898.000.000 windows
450.000.000 microsoft
313.000.000 linux
56.200.000 Ubuntu

and of course

2.090.000.000 google

Maheriano
January 14th, 2010, 11:53 PM
I'd be surprised if there was anything a school could require that can't be done in Linux.

Rowen91
January 15th, 2010, 01:44 AM
I've used Windows operating systems before when I was younger. and about 2 years ago i started using Linux off and on. Well I use Ubuntu now and I love it less stress...

I recently got into a debate at school with a girl whos not as tech savy (basicly thinks that Windows is the only major OS other than windows) and she only listed the flashy features and inside i was laughing thinking shes gonna wet her self if they come out with multiple desktops on Windows.

howefield
January 15th, 2010, 01:49 AM

You soon put that right..

:lolflag:

brook adams
January 18th, 2010, 08:02 PM
I was gratified to see some discussion on my post. I'm not anti-Windows, but I think it exemplifies some of the trends in corporate behavior and philosophy that will ultimately be bad for computing in the long run.

So here are my observations in greater detail.

Windows is very pretty.
The graphic design is lovely. My video card doesn't like aero so I'm not getting the full effect, but it's nice. I think the ergonomics people in Redmond have done a good job.
Compiz still rocks my world tho'. Linux has those kool wobbly windows and multiple workspaces.

I like Excel, Word, and Small Basic. (a lot!)
The office programs have been labored over for 20 years. They work great. As much as I like Open Office, it still bites me from time to time. Small Basic is a cute little thing. A sort of Fischer-Price-like IDE for teaching people to program. You can convert your finished programs into visual basic.
There are a lotta kool programs out there that either haven't been ported to Linux or don't work too well with Linux, so it's fun to have access to some proven software, but at the end of the day it's hard to beat apt-get install.

Internet Explorer still sucks.
Talk about paranoid! If a nagging mother could be a computer program it would be IE.

The Media Player won't play a movie if it can't shut off analog output.
This kind of crap won't stop piracy, it just irritates people. I don't want no big corporation telling me what I can and can't do with my own stuff. A big middle finger on this one.

Media Player sometimes won't play quicktime files all the way through.
What it does is play the first part of a file and then sort of give up.

Windows crashes more than Linux.
I haven't gotten down to the blue screen of death, but I've had the system just sit there inert and unresponsive several times. My favorite is when it tells you it's working on something and just spins for 20 minutes. One day I went and fixed lunch, ate and washed the dishes, then I came back and pulled the plug. Jeez.
Dual boot has confused my system clock. When I set it in Linux it's wrong in windows and vice versa. This may not be Windows fault though.

ultiva
April 26th, 2010, 12:39 AM
I think ******* 7 is quite OK but unfortunatelly it's still Windows. Here are some things I hate:
- Boot takes long time, and hdd works long time after desktop is ready. It **** me off a lot.
- Windows slows down after few hours of work with several program. Every Windows had this issue since forever on every machine I saw. Linux - even after months without shutdown is responsive.
- There is no central software repository resulting in every program installs it's update manager and inserts some crap to startup.
- This system is so commercial, so much programs keep nagging you to buy some features, upgrades and so on. Also there is so much DRMs and other anti-user (not anty-piracy) stuff I hate.
- My Logitech BT mouse freezes one a day under Win7. With Ubuntu it always works perfect.

I think Linux isn't perfect and there is much work to be done but open source conception allowed to create very good OS far better than aby Windows IMHO. I cannot imagine to use my computer on regular basis without Linux.

Lightstar
April 26th, 2010, 02:52 AM
I have really no problems with my Win7 installation.
Win7 = more compatibility
I use it for gaming and (very few) document writings. I have less trouble fixing up audio and multimedia keyboard/mouse buttons.

Ubuntu = Quicker, Smaller, feel safer and it feels more like a computer I own, and not owned by an OS.
I use it for everything that isn't gaming.

kspringer
April 26th, 2010, 03:10 AM
brook adams:

You wrote: "Dual boot has confused my system clock. When I set it in Linux it's wrong in windows and vice versa. This may not be Windows fault though.".

In the /etc/default/rcS file, there is a line that says UTC=yes.
If you change that to "no", it should fix the clock problem.
Did for me. No promises, though {grin}.

I have to say, though, I have a Dell Inspiron 1525 running Hardy (until Lucid comes out) and an Inspiron 1545 running Windows 7. (It would be running Linux right now if I could get the wireless to work. And I've tried everything in the forums. Anyway...) Windows 7 is pretty; and it seems to work really well; but I like linux so much I can never really go back to Windows.

k

jonny163
April 28th, 2010, 12:54 AM
I started off with 7 soon after it was released and then this week installed the Lucid release candidate (being a complete n00b to both). I have found that Ubuntu is not extremely friendly to completely new and mostly computer illiterate users, but luckily I have help and this great forum. Windows 7 is, in my opinion, better on some levels that appeal to newbies, it has an easy interface. For example, slideshow backgrounds are extremely easy on 7 but nigh on impossible for newbs in Lucid.