PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Clean Installation asking for username/psasword

wallydog
January 14th, 2010, 09:20 PM
Newb here and this is my first time installing Ubuntu. Created the LiveCD from download of ISO 9.10. PC is a Dell D505 laptop with a clean reformatted, defragged HD. Install goes ok up until first screen with a background and the software asks me to login using a username and password. I haven't been asked to set up a u/p up until this point so I'm stuck. ENTER doesn't work, root/root doesn't work. I've downloaded other ISO files, reburned etc and its the same each time.

Help appreciated!

skyking
March 1st, 2010, 09:49 PM
Have this exact same issue. Dell Workstation 670, LiveCD 9.10 and 10.04..
LiveCD boots to a login. Un/Pw required. None of the usual ones work.. Can not get past login.

julianb
March 1st, 2010, 11:31 PM
I've downloaded other ISO files, reburned etc and its the same each time.

This sounds like a really irritating problem, I'm sure glad it didn't happen to me the first time I tried to use Ubuntu! I might have given up on linux completely.

From your description, it's not clear if you tried the Alternate Install CD and the ordinary ("liveCD") version of Ubuntu 9.10. Or did you try a different ISO like Kubuntu/Xubuntu, or did you simple re-download the exact same ISO?

Some computers have passwords built in to the BIOS or the hard drive - if this is the problem, the offending part would have to be replaced if you can't find the password (and the manufacturer's default password / administrator password doesn't help.)

Another thing to consider is using Linux Mint, which is a very similar to Ubuntu but different enough (so that the problem you're encountering, if it's specific to Ubuntu, probably is not a problem with Mint.)

Vostrocity
March 2nd, 2010, 12:07 AM
Try user/user. I found it on this VMWare page (http://vmware.com/appliances/directory/1224) so I'm not sure if it applies here, but it's worth a try. Otherwise, I think you can go into a terminal session and add a new user (ask someone else how to do this.. lol). :D