PDA

View Full Version : One of Linux's Greatest Weaknesses

Penguin Guy
January 14th, 2010, 07:25 PM
In a Nutshell
I am basically asking for a specification for storing settings, but with focus on making it cascading. (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=8977368)

My History
I've been messing around making a few minor scripts for Linux and I constantly see this problem coming up. Changing settings. The settings are all over the place: text files, gconf, program generated binary files, etc. It's so complicated to program a simple thing like changing the wallpaper, because each desktop environment does it in a different way.

The Idea
I think we should make a system to manage all the settings in a cascading and multi-dimensional manner. When a program is installed it should store it's settings in the default settings section. A program's default settings can be overwritten in the global settings, which can, in turn, be overwritten by the user's settings.

Default Settings
Global Settings
John Smith's Settings
Bob Smith's Settings

Default Settings
X Settings
GNOME Settings
KDE Settings
Console Settings

Also:

Admin's should have the ability to 'lock' certain settings so that users cannot change them.
People should be able to define custom profiles (e.g. 'Dark Theme', 'Light Theme' - I often switch a lot between the two and hate having to go through all the settings and change them one by one)

Default Settings
X Settings
GNOME Settings
Light Settings
Dark Settings
KDE Settings
Console Settings

Goals

Ability to copy/backup your settings
More control over your system
Settings are easier to manage
Settings are all in one place

Will This Slow Down Over Time Like the Windows' Registry?
Not at all, the Windows registry is slow because programs install settings and don't remove them when they become outdated. Ubuntu programs are generally a lot more clever and usually leave very little junk behind. Hopefully, with this system, less junk should be left behind than before - since the settings are all in once place rather than being scattered across the computer.

What do you Think?
Please, post a comment - if you don't like this idea then post and tell me what's wrong with it. System admins - how useful do you think this would be. Developers - how hard would this be to implement. Also, any ideas on how this can be improved are welcome.

Don't understand quite what I mean? Take a look at Naggobot's post (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=8988473) - you may find his explanation clearer.

hthury
January 14th, 2010, 08:32 PM
I was thinking about RAM, memory and all that stuff... could make system slower...

Penguin Guy
January 15th, 2010, 05:16 PM
I was thinking about RAM, memory and all that stuff... could make system slower...
This isn't a program as such, merely a collective database of settings - so it shouldn't take up any more/less RAM than the existing setup does.

Maheriano
January 15th, 2010, 05:22 PM
1. right click desktop
2. Change wallpaper

Am I missing something?

Penguin Guy
January 15th, 2010, 06:15 PM
1. right click desktop
2. Change wallpaper

Am I missing something?
Yes: for a computer program it is much, much harder. The system I am proposing will make it easier for programs and administrators to manage settings.

For example, if I were to write a program to set the background in Gnome it would look something like this:

import sys, os
desktoptype = os.environ.get('DESKTOP_SESSION')

if 'gnome' in desktoptype:
import gconf
client = gconf.client_get_default()
client.set_string ( "/desktop/gnome/background/picture_filename" , path )
else
print "Error: Cannot change wallpaper."

This only supports GNOME, if I wanted to support all desktop managers the script would be much longer. Now let's see an example script using my system:

import sys, os
sys.set.wallpaper = path

As you can see, this script is much shorter. This saves programmers time, and the program will work in any desktop environment.

ImmortalSoFar
March 15th, 2010, 08:48 AM
I see this as one of its strengths. What you are describing is the Windows Registry - a massive hodge-podge of outdated, cryptical junk of long-forgotten purpose that once it does get corrupted, takes everything with it.

Tony Flury
March 15th, 2010, 06:16 PM
Your system would be a night mare for installation/upgrade/removal of applications, which is exactly the reason why the Windows registry gets so much rubbish left in it, as upgrades/removals don't clean up properly.

Nothing in your system makes that any better, and instead of under the current system you get a lot of small files that get left around, taking disk space admitedly, but not actually getting accessed, we now have three files - which are complex and slowly growing with every installation, making application start up slower and slower as the system gets older and subject to more changes.

I agree that discrete config files area far better idea - if one of my application starts misbehaving and gets into a state that i can't correct easily - I know i can easily delete the config file for that application, without impacting anything else - and a well written application will recover by applying defaults - Try doing that in windows. Even finding the section that you want to edit in the windows registery sometimes requires knowledge of what programmng language the application was written in.

Penguin Guy
March 15th, 2010, 08:57 PM
@Tony Flurry

I see your point. But what would you think about having three versions of /etc/default (default, admin, user)?

djurny
March 15th, 2010, 10:30 PM
this is a good idea, but isnt this already in place with with for example

admin settings (installation defaults)
/usr/share/app
default settings (initial setup)
/etc/default/app
settings (overrides)
/etc/app
user settings (per user)
~/.app

?

Simian Man
March 15th, 2010, 10:43 PM
The frustration that you're running into with your wallpaper example isn't the fact that configuration files don't cascade and it isn't the fact that there are multiple ways of storing/modifying settings. It's the fact that the various projects don't store settings for the same concept in the same place.

In your registry-like solution, what's to stop Gnome developers from making a "gnome-wallpaper" key, Xfce developers from making a "xfce-wallpaper" key and KDE developers from making a "kallkaper" key? Then you'd be stuck in the same problem you're in now.

If this is really a problem, and I'm not convinced that it is, then this kind of thing should be handled with a FreeDesktop.org standard and not a new configuration system.

Tony Flury
March 16th, 2010, 08:46 AM
@Penguin Guy

You will still get bloat and rubbish in each of those three big files - and it still has the problem that I cannot easily wipe the config for one of the applications.

You also have an another problem - many applications with complex config will load all of their config into memory, rather than reading off disk, your mechanism now has to have a way of requesting that all apps areload their config, or a very clever mechanism to associate a section of the config with a specific application, and ask it to reload. More complexity is never a good idea in my opinion - especially as the current system works.

An example - I have an application that supports multiple user accounts - so that app has some general config, and then some specific config for each user, each of that config is in a seperate file. To delete a user account and start from scratch is easy - delete one file in ~/.app/<User Name> - bingo.

Penguin Guy
March 16th, 2010, 06:00 PM
this is a good idea, but isnt this already in place with with for example

admin settings (installation defaults)
/usr/share/app
default settings (initial setup)
/etc/default/app
settings (overrides)
/etc/app
user settings (per user)
~/.app

?
Ah, well actually that's pretty much what I had in mind. But why do we have gconf if such a system is already in place?

lykwydchykyn
March 16th, 2010, 07:35 PM
Ah, well actually that's pretty much what I had in mind. But why do we have gconf if such a system is already in place?

What djurny describes is a convention. What you're asking for is a specification.

The convention doesn't really scale up well to the complexity of something like GNOME, which is why gconf exists; kde, likewise, has its own filesystem under ~/.kde with specifications for where different configs should go.

I'm not an expert on FreeDesktop.org specs, but I do know that some exist for common configurations, and that KDE and GNOME are both working towards respecting certain common configs.

You can read more here: http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Specifications

Penguin Guy
March 16th, 2010, 09:49 PM
What djurny describes is a convention. What you're asking for is a specification.

The convention doesn't really scale up well to the complexity of something like GNOME, which is why gconf exists; kde, likewise, has its own filesystem under ~/.kde with specifications for where different configs should go.

I'm not an expert on FreeDesktop.org specs, but I do know that some exist for common configurations, and that KDE and GNOME are both working towards respecting certain common configs.

You can read more here: http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Specifications
Yeah, sorry for not explaining myself properly, a specification is exactly what I want. Without a specification, we will never have seamless integration between desktop managers.

lykwydchykyn
March 16th, 2010, 10:05 PM
Yeah, sorry for not explaining myself properly, a specification is exactly what I want. Without a specification, we will never have seamless integration between desktop managers.

Do we need it?

Simian Man
March 16th, 2010, 10:42 PM
What if someone wanted to have a different wallpaper for each desktop that they use? That'd be impossible with your proposal.

Penguin Guy
March 16th, 2010, 11:01 PM
Do we need it?
It would be pretty good feature.

What if someone wanted to have a different wallpaper for each desktop that they use? That'd be impossible with your proposal.
Nah, there's loads of ways you could implement it. Possibly by defining different session types:

GNOME Settings
KDE Settings
XFCE Settings

These would all inherit from the default settings.

lykwydchykyn
March 17th, 2010, 03:51 AM
It would be pretty good feature.

I'm not sure I see the point, personally.

Apart from changing the wallpaper, what sort of things would you expect to be centrally configured?

Penguin Guy
March 17th, 2010, 05:17 PM
I'm not sure I see the point, personally.

Apart from changing the wallpaper, what sort of things would you expect to be centrally configured?

Font
Cursor blink rate
Screensaver
Lock dialogue
Theme
Icons
Window button positions

etc.

_khAttAm_
March 18th, 2010, 05:59 AM
I don't get the idea of what you are proposing.

But, I'd really want to see a universal theme management control center for Ubuntu, in which you can change font sizes, plymouth themes and everything included in the default installation. It is not currently impossible using various utilities and editing config files or replacing certain files, but it would be better if we had all of them in the same control center. Also, creating universal theme (tar.gz or whatever renamed to something like .gtheme or .utheme) packages, which can change the overall look of the system would be great (something like compiz-config-settings-manager or gnome-control-center but theme centric).

About the control center thing, universal control center for configuring various system settings for gnome is available (gnome-control-center). Also there is gconf-editor which lets various settings of various gnome applications. But maybe you're looking for something else.

Please share your views.

Penguin Guy
March 18th, 2010, 05:06 PM
About the control center thing, universal control center for configuring various system settings for gnome is available (gnome-control-center). Also there is gconf-editor which lets various settings of various gnome applications. But maybe you're looking for something else.
No, what I'm looking for is something that is shared by the entire system. For example - in most cases you will want the font of your shell to be the same as that of your gnome terminal, yet there are two separate settings.

Naggobot
March 18th, 2010, 06:52 PM
I shall offer a greener perspective on matter.

I agree whole heartedly that Windows registry is not the way to go and individual configuration files have definite advantages.

On the other hand as a person who does not know where those files are and is not familiar with every nuances I think can also feel for Penguin Guy even though he probably does not have this particular problem.

Now we already have package management and if I understand correctly, it should know where the configuration files are and keep track of them so they can be removed. Why not enforce this feature and make it possible to change configuration through standardized interface in package management.

Idea is as follows

Application may or may not support configuration through pakage management interface. Support to application is built by adding a separate file which defines the configuration file format and available options. This would have the benefit that anyone who is familiar with the configuration can define the interface and that the creator of the program does not need to be familiar with the system configuration interface. When the package manager installs the interfacefile it reads the program configuration interface and makes the keys available to the system for use by other applications in standardized format.

Now if programmer or administrator wants to change configuration he just simply sends the request to the package manager interface which will find the relevant configuration configuration files and make the relevant changes to the configuration files of the program.

Now if you would like to change the background for every desktop you would set
System.Desktop.Background = image.jpg

For Specific environment
System.Desktop.Background.Gnome = image2.jpg

For specific user

System.Desktop.Background.Gnome.simon = image3.jpg

Lets imagine that we want to set the default browser for Simon home page to http://intranet.html
and lets imagine that the keypath to Simons browser would be System.User.Simon.Browser.Firefox.Homepage
So we would set
System.User.Simon.Browser.Firefox.Homepage = http://intranet.html

Alternatively we could set
System.Programs.Firefox.Homepage = http://intranet.html
which would affect all users who have not yet set the home page for Firefox but it would not affect Simon.

Or we could just set
System.Browser.Homepage = http://intranet.html
which would affect all users.

In practice the last setting would tell the package manager to find all compatible browser configuration files
and set home page parameter to http://intranet.html. Now for firefox the native format might be

Homepage = ULR:http://intranet.html

For Seamonkey it might be

BrowserHomePage = (http://intranet.html)

and I would not need to care. Also I would not need to care where the files are and how many there are or how many
users there are. All would be changed with one command. Of course if I would like to know then the interface would be able
to tell me if I asked.

Now the hierarchy of the system may be totally different of what i describe but the main point is that the
1. Pakage manager would not store the settings
2. Pakage manager does not care what the settings are, it just reads or writes the setting as specified for it.
3. With out specific request the package manager would not do anything to configuration.
4. It does not need to be package manager but some method of keeping track of the configuration files would be needed.

Penguin Guy
March 18th, 2010, 11:14 PM
@Naggobot

Thanks. Your explanation was a lot clearer than mine, I've updated my original post and added a link to yours.

Naggobot
March 19th, 2010, 05:51 AM
This is just loosely related to the subject but I comment it here anyhow

It just came to my mind that it would be neat if the package manager could be run on separate server for whole enterprise network (I do not actually know if this is true already). Now with integrated configuration management you would be able to change settings for the whole network with one command if you would run the command to the top level of the configuration hierarchy.

Of course systems like this already exists so probably nothing particularly new here just a new coherent way of controlling settings of all computers and programs on the network. I have no experience on how the current systems are scripted.

So individual installations would not have package managers installed. Instead the package manager would run on separate server which would install the programs for every computer on the network and configurations could be managed from the server.

Penguin Guy
March 19th, 2010, 08:44 AM
@Naggobot

I don't think it would be possible to have a shared package manager since computers use different hardware and therefore will require slightly different packages. However I do like the idea of sharing settings across a network.

Penguin Guy
April 4th, 2010, 04:51 PM
I've brought up more points in the first post, including the fact that we need a multi-dimensional settings manager and that we need a way to backup our settings.