PDA

View Full Version : sites that dont allow access from linux .

markp1989
January 14th, 2010, 06:43 PM
last few months i have been studying a mcsa/mcse course from home. and i have to log on to the microsoft elearning site, i dual boot windows, so i usualy use windos to do my course.

i have tried changing firefoxes user agent, and that makes no difference.

is there a way to have computer to pretend to be an xp computer when connecting to the site?

thanks Markp1989

MasterNetra
January 14th, 2010, 06:51 PM
Have you tried running XP in a Virtual Machine?

doas777
January 14th, 2010, 06:54 PM
last few months i have been studying a mcsa/mcse course from home. and i have to log on to the microsoft elearning site, i dual boot windows, so i usualy use windos to do my course.

i have tried changing firefoxes user agent, and that makes no difference.

is there a way to have computer to pretend to be an xp computer when connecting to the site?

thanks Markp1989

at what point does it fail? and fail in what way?

mkvnmtr
January 14th, 2010, 07:00 PM
I have internet explorer 7 running in Wine. Will that work? I must say I have never used it after the first day but it seemed to work fine.

doas777
January 14th, 2010, 07:03 PM
I have internet explorer 7 running in Wine. Will that work? I must say I have never used it after the first day but it seemed to work fine.
i wouldn't generally expect so, but hey, it may work. I would probably try ie4lin instead, but I've never tried either so...

markp1989
January 14th, 2010, 07:21 PM
at what point does it fail? and fail in what way?

it up sits with the loading "spinner" i right click on that its a gif, so it doesnt really show any progress. it doesnt progress atal, just sits with the spinner going round and round etc...

Ie7 in wine sounds like it may work, but i have set the user agent of firefox to Ie7 and it didnt make any difference , im thinking it may be related to silverlight or moonlight.

kkuenzer
January 14th, 2010, 07:27 PM
I downloaded firefox for windows and installed it in wine.

squilookle
January 15th, 2010, 02:43 AM
My bank doesn't allow you to log in with linux. However, I had success using konueror, identifying itself as ie6 on xp.

The really daft thing is it worked perfectly, so I reckon they're just being difficult. To support this view, I have an account at another bank too, and their website also detects the fact I am using linux, but rather than blocking it, they just put up a message that says it will probably work fine, but that I'm on my own if it doesn't. I prefer that.

Paul Stone
January 15th, 2010, 02:47 AM
Maybe, Google Chrome would work for you.

http://www.google.com/chrome?platform=linux