PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Simple question about avahi

HappyTimeHarry
January 14th, 2010, 12:47 PM
Not sure if this is the right thread category but anyway my question at least relates to the Desktop Environment.

I want to know if disabling avahi-daemon with services settings (System>Administration>Services) will cause any problems with gnome or my desktop. I've heard conflicting answers, and would like a definitive answer from a knowledgeable source. Also If it's likely to cause any other problems please feel free to tell me. I don't have a printer so that's not a problem, and to my knowledge I don't use it for anything else. (It's currently blocked by firestarter anyway)

I use version 8.04 (hardy) Gnome 2.22.3

Hope I didn't leave anything out, and thank you in advance for any help you may give. :KS

P.S. This is my first post although I have been lurking a while, so greetings to all, and I hope I can one day be of some help to some other poor newbie. ;)

HappyTimeHarry
January 17th, 2010, 12:28 PM
*Bump* *Bump*

HappyTimeHarry
April 14th, 2010, 04:46 PM
Well, I disabled it and so far no problems. I had forgot that it was even running until I happened to do a sudo netstat -natpu . I said to myself hey that looks familiar, oh yeah. I suppose you can close the thread now or just let it die a natural death. As far as I can tell I don't need the avahi-daemon.

PS Unless you have a lot of random computers coming by that you want to share files with, you probably don't need it either. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong on this.:guitar: