PDA

View Full Version : support irc channels are useless

boriskarloffinablender
January 14th, 2010, 10:01 AM
i don't mean the ubuntu/kubuntu/xubuntu irc channels, i mean support channels for programs/xorg. they're always nearly totally dead, even if there are 100+ people in the channel. this seems to be the same whatever time of the day you try! how can it be called a support channel when there is no support available? :confused:

Techsnap
January 14th, 2010, 10:10 AM
Have you tried getting the attention of anyone in the channel? They might be able to explain who you need to talk to.

Xbehave
January 14th, 2010, 10:19 AM
Depends on the channel some are useful, #alsa, #radeon, #kde, however you always have to make sure that the problem isn't distro related because sometimes you get stick for using ubuntu. Why some are useless? Often channel are just somewhere for the developers to hang out so they'll be idle most of the day and just check for important messages at the end of the day.

boriskarloffinablender
January 14th, 2010, 10:20 AM
Have you tried getting the attention of anyone in the channel? They might be able to explain who you need to talk to.

yes but they virtually never answer, or they're idiots.

boriskarloffinablender
January 14th, 2010, 10:22 AM
Depends on the channel some are useful, #alsa, #radeon, #kde, however you always have to make sure that the problem isn't distro related because sometimes you get stick for using ubuntu. Why some are useless? Often channel are just somewhere for the developers to hang out so they'll be idle most of the day and just check for important messages at the end of the day.

i'm talking only about channels that advertise themselves as support.

Xbehave
January 14th, 2010, 11:11 AM
i'm talking only about channels that advertise themselves as support.
Even so my point still stands, often the the channels are full of idling developers rather than say #ubuntu which is full of people offering support. BTW how long do you wait? If you leave it long enough you may get the help as somebody wakes up (i think i left #lvm open for ~4hrs once before somebody kindly woke up and solved all my problems in one line of genius)

~sHyLoCk~
January 14th, 2010, 11:22 AM
If members < 100 , don't expect support! They all idle, I know this since I do too. :D

boriskarloffinablender
January 14th, 2010, 11:34 AM
If members < 100 , don't expect support! They all idle, I know this since I do too. :D

lol that isn't funny :P

another stupid thing seems to be, the less people in a channel, the more chance of getting help. which makes no sense.

Xbehave
January 14th, 2010, 11:35 AM
Unless you get support, in which case expect it
#alsa(62) = good for support
#lvm(63) = slow, but good
#xorg (114) = terrible, because xorg is too vague a topic
:P

~sHyLoCk~
January 14th, 2010, 11:35 AM
I have never received much help from any IRCs either [specially debian irc]. The best way is forums! What do you need help with anyway?

Xbehave
January 14th, 2010, 11:37 AM
I have never received much help from any IRCs either [specially debian irc]. The best way is forums! What do you need help with anyway?
#debian (and #firefox) are mainly on other irc servers, I've found #debian quite helpful even on one ubuntu problem.

boriskarloffinablender
January 14th, 2010, 11:38 AM

yes, forums that move quicker than a large chatroom. how backwards is that?

as for the problem, it doesn't matter now i've had enough of trying to solve the issue, i will just invest in tiger 10.4. linux ppc isn't worth wasting any more time over.

Xbehave
January 14th, 2010, 11:49 AM
as for the problem, it doesn't matter now i've had enough of trying to solve the issue, i will just invest in tiger 10.4. linux ppc isn't worth wasting any more time over.
Try fedora, there ppc port is apparently much better than supported than ours (or debian because that will run on anything)

boriskarloffinablender
January 14th, 2010, 11:58 AM
Try fedora, there ppc port is apparently much better than supported than ours (or debian because that will run on anything)

does the r128 driver in fedora actually work? or will i be stuck with the non-accelerated, ultra slow fbdev driver again and a wasted cd?

Xbehave
January 14th, 2010, 01:03 PM
does the r128 driver in fedora actually work? or will i be stuck with the non-accelerated, ultra slow fbdev driver again and a wasted cd?
I think there is a problem with the r128 driver in ubuntu or with recent kernels or on ppc (nice and specific help i know), I don't know if it will work elsewhere (fedora take ppc more seriously so perhaps it will as r128 was common in old macs right?) but suggest you look for r128 help rather than general xorg help, I think the correct channel would be #radeon, but it seams dead atm (looking at my logs the most active time seams to be 2300 gmt, if it's the right channel)

boriskarloffinablender
January 15th, 2010, 12:56 AM
I think there is a problem with the r128 driver in ubuntu or with recent kernels or on ppc (nice and specific help i know), I don't know if it will work elsewhere (fedora take ppc more seriously so perhaps it will as r128 was common in old macs right?) but suggest you look for r128 help rather than general xorg help, I think the correct channel would be #radeon, but it seams dead atm (looking at my logs the most active time seams to be 2300 gmt, if it's the right channel)

it's in fedora too. it seems the r128 dev just can't be arsed to fix the problem.

scottuss
January 15th, 2010, 01:05 AM
Sometimes, no response is better. Over on the Arch Linux IRC, they're often very rude and usually very derogatory towards certain things (particularly Ubuntu)

scottuss
January 15th, 2010, 01:12 AM
Sometimes, no response is better. Over on the Arch Linux IRC, they're often very rude and usually very derogatory towards certain things (particularly Ubuntu)

boriskarloffinablender
January 15th, 2010, 01:12 AM

people can be manipulated, silence cannot.