PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Nautilus slow to displaying large networked directory

rebeltaz
January 14th, 2010, 07:21 AM
I have a drive that I am sharing over SAMBA that has a directory with 3100 files in it. When I try to access that directory through Nautilus, it takes several minutes to load and display the directory - if it ever does at all. I can go to terminal and ls that same directory and, sure, it takes about 10 to 20 seconds to start displaying the contents - but that is a lot better than Nautilus does.

This same drive used to be in a WindowsXP system that was shared over the same network. At that time, Nautilus would display the same directory in the 10 to 20 seconds that terminal gives.

I can live with simply accessing that directory through terminal (I actually prefer to use terminal when I can), but I would still like to know why Nautilus is reacting the way that it is.

FlyingBuzz
January 14th, 2010, 10:00 AM
Nautilus gets much information about each file when terminal just shows the list of the files. That's the reason for bad perfomance I think.

neednewlaptop
January 14th, 2010, 12:42 PM
Maybe you can try to change nautilus preferences to never show preview for files on network.

rebeltaz
January 23rd, 2010, 03:56 AM
Maybe you can try to change nautilus preferences to never show preview for files on network.

They already are set to Local Only, but I even tried Never and I still have the same problem...