PDA

View Full Version : something new to do with my computer?

mamamia88
January 14th, 2010, 05:32 AM
well i have a strong interest in computers and love spending time on them. but i mainly use them for entertainment purposes such as surfing the web and listening to music. i love tweaking linux until it's perfect. but what else can i do besides just tweaking the crap out of it when it's already pretty damn good? i want to expand my horizons a little.

nmccrina
January 14th, 2010, 05:37 AM
If you have a newish CPU and a good amount of RAM you could install Virtualbox...try running Haiku or something!

MasterNetra
January 14th, 2010, 05:37 AM
Well there is still gaming. Sure you may or may not be able to get those hot new titles from windows running in Wine but Linux in general has no shortage of games. There are many playable games on facebook on Myspace. Yoville not one it seems but meh. OR prehaps you could start learning or diving into programming or some form of development for linux and/or Ubuntu? And what about Art? You could play with Gimp and such and create themes, wallpapers or just images for the heck of it?

mamamia88
January 14th, 2010, 05:40 AM
Well there is still gaming. Sure you may or may not be able to get those hot new titles from windows running in Wine but Linux in general has no shortage of games. There are many playable games on facebook on Myspace. Yoville not one it seems but meh. You could start learning or diving into programming or some form of development for linux and/or Ubuntu? Could play with Gimp and such and create art?

that is one of my 2 other hobbies besides watching movies and playig with my computer. i do most of my gaming on my 360 or ps3 anyway.

nmccrina
January 14th, 2010, 05:40 AM
Yeah, I've started gaming strictly on consoles, too.

boriskarloffinablender
January 14th, 2010, 05:42 AM
talk to friends on msn/aim/whatever?

Dark_Stang
January 14th, 2010, 05:46 AM
Start developing code for pidgin to have full webcam support. Come on... somebody has to do this.

lisati
January 14th, 2010, 05:46 AM
Here are a couple of things I've done recently, partly out of boredom and partly to expand my horizons.

I recently set up one of my desktops as a server to host a web site. The "to do" list includes setting it up as a server to help manage my backups, set up an email server, organize some kind of reporting of access, and maybe set things up so the non-tech-savvy in-laws can have a web presence on it.

I've also had a play on another machine with modest specs by today's standards and that's getting old and tired, and managed to set it up as a basic backup for my main desktop's webhosting stuff. Finding a version of Ubuntu that would actually get through the installation process and boot into a usable state was a bit of a challenge at first but it was achievable. The monitor's getting a bit quirky so I've had to learn a little about SSH.

mamamia88
January 14th, 2010, 05:49 AM
I guess I could start a blog that could be fun. anyone know of the best free blog site?

Dayofswords
January 14th, 2010, 05:52 AM
you could do some folding@home

what folding is (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Folding_at_home)
ubuntu folding team (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/FoldingAtHomeTeamUbuntu)
their thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=102313)

mamamia88
January 14th, 2010, 05:53 AM
couldn't i do that on my ps3 as well?

Jackzor
January 14th, 2010, 06:05 AM
Install Ubuntu on your ps3! I did it on my friend's ps3... Flash needs some work :P Lol

There are plenty of tweaks to do on ps3 ubuntu. It takes plenty of setting up to get it running well.

mamamia88
January 14th, 2010, 06:09 AM
i did that on my old ps3 but that one broke so now i have a slim that you can't install linux on

Dayofswords
January 14th, 2010, 06:12 AM
couldn't i do that on my ps3 as well?

not all of us have the $$$ to buy one =p
(plus... idk if you can set the team and username)

Install Ubuntu on your ps3! I did it on my friend's ps3... Flash needs some work :P Lol

There are plenty of tweaks to do on ps3 ubuntu. It takes plenty of setting up to get it running well.
like to note: you can only install ubuntu with the non-slim(AKA 3rd generation and lower)

JBAlaska
January 14th, 2010, 06:17 AM
I generally just fiddle with things until I bork something...then fix it, great fun. Although I have to admit that it's quite a bit harder to break ubuntu these days. :-)

Khakilang
January 14th, 2010, 10:37 AM
Write some interesting program and contribute to the Ubuntu community and let use enjoy it.

cespinal
January 14th, 2010, 11:03 AM
I KNOW I kNOW!!!! go to www.4chan.org and get mind raped :P its fun lol

spupy
January 14th, 2010, 11:57 AM
I KNOW I kNOW!!!! go to www.4chan.org and get mind raped :P its fun lol

o_O

juancarlospaco
January 14th, 2010, 03:03 PM
Get a girlfriend