PDA

View Full Version : why is konqueror still the default kubuntu browser?

boriskarloffinablender
January 14th, 2010, 01:03 AM
it's terrible! why don't they just use firefox instead, or rekonq?

Cam42
January 14th, 2010, 01:12 AM
because it's the default KDE browser? It's QT, so it doesn't look like crap like GTK apps do, and it's a file manager as well.

Warpnow
January 14th, 2010, 01:13 AM
Because Konqueror is the default KDE browser, and its far from terrible. I'd argue that firefox is terrible, and soon to be an outdated piece of technology...

If they're going to switch, it should be to a webkit browser.

boriskarloffinablender
January 14th, 2010, 01:54 AM
because it's the default KDE browser? It's QT, so it doesn't look like crap like GTK apps do, and it's a file manager as well.
the file manager argument is pointless. dolphin is used by every kde4 based distro ive ever used.

Because Konqueror is the default KDE browser, and its far from terrible. I'd argue that firefox is terrible, and soon to be an outdated piece of technology...

what sites have you used konqueror with? i have had numerous problems with it on youtube, tvshack, hulu, screwattack, ebay, imdb, and even these forums. all of which work fine in firefox....

hanzomon4
January 14th, 2010, 02:00 AM
Word, konqueror has always sucked... always

I can't imagine that it's just me. I don't do anything to the default konqueror and I've used it in multiple distros. Konqueror, You SUCK

Grifulkin
January 14th, 2010, 02:08 AM
Konqueror isn't that bad is it?

baddog144
January 14th, 2010, 02:09 AM
They use it because it's what KDE uses. Simple as that

MasterNetra
January 14th, 2010, 02:10 AM
All I know is that when I was on Kubuntu 9.10 Konqueror didn't handle as well as Firefox. but your mileage may vary I suppose.

squilookle
January 14th, 2010, 02:16 AM
First of all, Konqueror doesn't suck. Its not my choice of browser for everyday use (and I'm using gnone at the minute anyway) and I find it abit slow, but its not a bad browser, and is actually the only browser that runs on linux and works with my banks website!

I don't want to see kde adopt something like firefox because pretty much every project going is doing that. And its nice to see someone doing things differently and giving us another choice. Also,firefox is easy to install if you prefer it.

k64
January 14th, 2010, 02:36 AM

I say Ubuntu and Kubuntu both switch to Chrome and end the battle once and for all.

boriskarloffinablender
January 14th, 2010, 02:50 AM
I say Ubuntu and Kubuntu both switch to Chrome and end the battle once and for all.

isn't konqueror going to switch to webkit soon?

Warpnow
January 14th, 2010, 07:12 AM
You say that like its easy...

A switch to webkit is a major change, and won't happen overnight. If a browser hasn't already started switching, I doubt they'll do so before they become a remnant of technology's past.

chucky chuckaluck
January 14th, 2010, 09:07 AM
there's a webkit plugin for konqueror that's easily installed. and yes, it works.

GeneralZod
January 14th, 2010, 09:24 AM
You say that like its easy...

A switch to webkit is a major change, and won't happen overnight. If a browser hasn't already started switching, I doubt they'll do so before they become a remnant of technology's past.

Once the webkit kpart is complete, "switching" Konqueror to use it instead of khtml is a matter of a few minutes (or maybe even seconds :)) work, either from the end user or (better) the distro provider.

Warpnow
January 14th, 2010, 09:42 AM
Once the webkit kpart is complete, "switching" Konqueror to use it instead of khtml is a matter of a few minutes (or maybe even seconds :)) work, either from the end user or (better) the distro provider.

I was referring to the development.

Look how long epiphany's webkit port took.

JBAlaska
January 14th, 2010, 09:46 AM

Maybe on Krypton...but this is earth..It may take a bit longer :p
And while we are on the why subject, why dolphin and not Krusader?

Xbehave
January 14th, 2010, 11:24 AM
I like konqueror as a filemanager and it is lightweight as a webbrowser. khtml renders most things correctly (and installing the webkit plugin takes seconds), so i don't see what is wrong with it as a browser. Personally i use Firefox because i want a safari like no-statusbar look and other customizations (tbh i doubt anything other than firefox/rolling my own browser, will ever suit my needs). So why so much hate for konq as a webbrowser, it integrates nicely with kde (bookmark/history sync with krunner)

I can stand dolphin but there is too much GUI and not enough, here are your files and yes of course i can do a 7 way split of the window to suit your insanity. And while you might not be insane, i sure am so konqueror has it's uses.

Xbehave
January 14th, 2010, 11:28 AM
Maybe on Krypton...but this is earth..It may take a bit longer :p
Quit yo jibba jabber, fool, it takes 20 seconds here on earth!
The switch for the distro provider would be adding a single file /line to a file in /etc/skel

boriskarloffinablender
January 14th, 2010, 11:42 AM
there's a webkit plugin for konqueror that's easily installed. and yes, it works.

webkitkde crashes way too much with plugins.

Cam42
January 14th, 2010, 10:03 PM
I don't find the file manager argument pointless. I use it all the time. 2 tabs take up less memory than 2 windows.