PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Upgrade or installation becomes unresponsive, requiring restart to clear

3Davideo
January 14th, 2010, 12:09 AM
I've got 9.04 and am trying to get 9.10. Since I've consistently been having this problem, I've been trying to do a "partial upgrade". Everything works until the first screenshot. At this point clicking on either button, the details menu, or the exit button in the corner does nothing. If I move another window on top of it, then remove it, this upgrade window is not repaired; it goes blank. Using xkill does close the window, but I can't try again until I restart; since this happened the first time I tried to upgrade (but at a different window) I am now forced to do a partial upgrade.

Similar things happen when I try installing updates. It gets stuck at the second screenshot. The progress window is unresponsive, except for the exit button. It tells me it is non-responsive; when I tell it to force quit, the window closes but update manager remains grey.

The same things happen when I try installing something, like OpenJDK, from Add/Remove.

Sometimes I can get it to work, perhaps after doing something else first, and then it will work for the rest of the session. I can't get this to work consistently, however.

Computer specs:
iMac 20" Mid 2007
Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4 ghz
3 gb RAM, 2 gb freshly installed a few days earlier
Dual-boot Mac OS X 10.5 and Ubuntu 9.04