PDA

View Full Version : How do i convince my father to let me have a party

heroidi
January 13th, 2010, 11:29 PM
I am turning 16 in 5 weeks ( 24 feb) and I used to have partys every year at my house and my father gave me the money for them and let me invite people but this year (its my first year in high school) he said it will be expensive and he never said that and i argued with him that it will not be so any ideas on how do i convince him?

NoaHall
January 13th, 2010, 11:31 PM
You don't. You respect what he says. You want a party? Rent your own place, and pay for it yourself. There's probably a good reason why he says it's too expensive. Like lack of money for one.

heroidi
January 13th, 2010, 11:31 PM
There's this problem i don't have a job...

JDShu
January 13th, 2010, 11:32 PM
Write up a detailed plan and budget. Present it to your dad. Even if you fail, its a good experience.

Joeb454
January 13th, 2010, 11:34 PM
Write up a detailed plan and budget. Present it to your dad. Even if you fail, its a good experience.

If we're adhering to modern standards you'd also need a risk assessment ;)

But I agree with JDShu, if you can prove that it won't be expensive, that should be all you need :)

Bodsda
January 13th, 2010, 11:34 PM
I agree with NoaHall. But, your dad may decide otherwise if you can show maturity or offer to work the cost in chores

heroidi
January 13th, 2010, 11:36 PM
I will write a detailed budget... Thanks a lot will tell you if it works :)

liamnixon
January 13th, 2010, 11:40 PM
There's this problem i don't have a job...

Get one. ;)

heroidi
January 13th, 2010, 11:42 PM
Get one. ;)

I used to work as waiter at my father's restaurant and now i have to get better at school because i "suck" right now so i dont have time for a job

Unlimited Bit
January 13th, 2010, 11:51 PM
** Get a job **

The Toxic Mite
January 14th, 2010, 12:12 AM
You don't. You respect what he says. You want a party? Rent your own place, and pay for it yourself. There's probably a good reason why he says it's too expensive. Like lack of money for one.

Oh my, what a very... snide remark. :|

NoaHall
January 14th, 2010, 12:15 AM

It's my honest opinion.

The Toxic Mite
January 14th, 2010, 12:15 AM
It's my honest opinion.

... and I disagree with it.

hoppipolla
January 14th, 2010, 12:17 AM
** Get a job **

yeah this wouldn't be a bad idea, I mean it seems here that the main problem is money, and if he's shelled out every previous year then I guess I understand, but it is a LITTLE odd to stop at 16, which is one of those ages when most people do have parties to celebrate their birthdays!

Ah I just read the thing about needing time to work at school.. who knows man. Yeah if you can convince him that it won't be that expensive that could do the trick.

lisati
January 14th, 2010, 12:18 AM
Above all else, keep communications with your Dad friendly. It is, after all, his place, and he is your Dad.

hoppipolla
January 14th, 2010, 12:18 AM

hehe I do too, I think 16 too young to get your own place really, and parties are very important! :o

NoaHall
January 14th, 2010, 12:19 AM

So? People are allowed to have different opinions. You can like cheese, doesn't mean I have to like cheese, and you can't force me to like cheese.

hoppipolla
January 14th, 2010, 12:26 AM
So? People are allowed to have different opinions. You can like cheese, doesn't mean I have to like cheese, and you can't force me to like cheese.

we can try!!! *passes Noah a whole plate of cheese!*

:D

NoaHall
January 14th, 2010, 12:27 AM
we can try!!! *passes Noah a whole plate of cheese!*

:/ Ugh.

Techsnap
January 14th, 2010, 12:34 AM

I agree.

So? People are allowed to have different opinions.

Media Centres :D

Kdar
January 14th, 2010, 12:34 AM
You know, not everything goes as you plan every year.

You can have party another time. You are still young, got a lot of years ahead of you :)

NoaHall
January 14th, 2010, 12:36 AM
I agree.

Media Centres will become my nickname, if you keep doing that, you know..

Shadal
January 14th, 2010, 12:48 AM
You know, not everything goes as you plan every year.

You can have party another time. You are still young, got a lot of years ahead of you :)

How very very true!

This is a very bad time for everybody, nearly everyone in the country is having financial problems right now. If your dad can't afford it, he can't afford it...
Your 16, time to start transforming into an adult...

Warpnow
January 14th, 2010, 12:55 AM
Parties don't have to cost a dime. You can have an entirely free party. Or, more realistically, a very cheap party.

What were your previous parties like?

Most of the "parties" I've had in the past I spent less than $20 on. Cici's Pizza and 88cent 2 liters are pretty cheap. ;)

Why not find a way to pay for it yourself? Sure, you may not have a job, but cut expenses as much as possible and try to find a way to make a reasonable amount of money.

I'm rather against high school students having jobs. Most people I knew in high school who did allowed it to very much effect their schoolwork. College is different, as it costs money to attend, but if you can get by without working, I think its very advisable.

Dayofswords
January 14th, 2010, 12:55 AM
If we're adhering to modern standards you'd also need a risk assessment ;)
uh, dont even what to know what could be in that for a party

Shpongle
January 14th, 2010, 12:58 AM

+1 ,

@ op , you've had ones the other years , just let this one pass , be thankful your alive for one , there is too much focus put on material things in this world, when they are the most insignificant

Warpnow
January 14th, 2010, 01:10 AM
+1 ,

@ op , you've had ones the other years , just let this one pass , be thankful your alive for one , there is too much focus put on material things in this world, when they are the most insignificant

Mmmm...I wouldn't call a party a material thing...

A party is simply a gathering of people for enjoyment, bonding, ect...

How is that material?

hoppipolla
January 14th, 2010, 03:06 AM
Mmmm...I wouldn't call a party a material thing...

A party is simply a gathering of people for enjoyment, bonding, ect...

How is that material?

I agree! I was just about to say exactly the same thing :)

kreggz
January 14th, 2010, 03:42 AM
you shouldn't ever ask, just do

schauerlich
January 14th, 2010, 03:45 AM
Ask your dad if you can have friends over. Not that big of a deal.

Schauerlich

Sent from my iPhone

BuffaloX
January 14th, 2010, 04:24 AM
I used to work as waiter at my father's restaurant and now i have to get better at school because i "suck" right now so i dont have time for a job

Many Restaurants get a lot less business these days, maybe your dad doesn't have much money right now.

pwnst*r
January 14th, 2010, 04:33 AM

Snide? Wow. Some of you people are ultra-sensitive.

dmizer
January 14th, 2010, 04:38 AM
Sent from my iPhone
Not sure how this is relevant ...

Sent from my 4 year old Panasonic P905i. ;)

steveneddy
January 14th, 2010, 04:40 AM

That's a great answer!

I suggest this route.

steveneddy
January 14th, 2010, 04:41 AM
Snide? Wow. Some of you people are ultra-sensitive.

*whispers* -you have no idea

Kdar
January 14th, 2010, 04:46 AM

But does that comes automatically on your 4 year old Panasonic?

I think some people who use iPhone, that "sent from iphone", get sent automatically, at least in e-mails.

JBAlaska
January 14th, 2010, 05:18 AM
Find a young lady to give you a "Special" present and you'll forget all about the party...

Or whine to your friends about what a cheapskate your dad is and maybe they will set up a party for you..

Either way...Happy Birthday!

I hope you get option one! :D

And to the above posters, I'm prolly older than most of you and you sound like a bunch of old farts..Get a job etc..dang.:P

schauerlich
January 14th, 2010, 07:15 AM

http://www.networkworld.com/community/node/48266

"Sent from my iPhone" has become a meme.

supermooshman
January 14th, 2010, 08:45 AM
recipe for any cheap houseparty:

Ipod + amplifier
BYOB
another house (it'll get filty, so probably promise your parents you'll clean afterwards)
+ for additional flavoring: invite/warn neighbors (avoid problems with them)

Enjoy (and happy birthday)

ronniestamps
January 14th, 2010, 08:51 AM
very easily, move out

Khakilang
January 14th, 2010, 10:19 AM
You going to be a man. Some day your son will say or do the same thing and you may say no. So listen to your father. Maybe the economic situation isn't so good. He has his own budget you know. Like paying the bills.

xir_
January 14th, 2010, 12:25 PM
chloroform and a flannel.

(note, this advice comes without warranty to the fullest applicable extent of the law).

Kdar
January 14th, 2010, 02:55 PM
Find a young lady to give you a "Special" present and you'll forget all about the party...

Thats good alternative too haha

xuCGC002
January 14th, 2010, 03:04 PM
http://www.networkworld.com/community/node/48266

"Sent from my iPhone" has become a meme.
I hope you were being sarcastic.

Um, ok? He does have a very strong point.

gnomeuser
January 14th, 2010, 03:40 PM
While I am no big party fan..

I would first make a proposed budget, I would aim low on this, these are hard times for everyone. Creativity can make marvels out of cheap items, look around for inspiration.

I would ask your father for permission to present your proposal, you must respect a no if he gives one and entirely drop the subject.

I would also offer to work off the cost at a fair rate. E.g. you could volunteer labor for his business if he needs.

The key things here is getting his permission to use the house and making sure he has a buttomline he feels comfortable with.

My thinking is that he says no right now because it is an expense he can't afford but also because you are becoming older now and should learn to care for yourself.

Think of this as a learning experience.

whiskeylover
January 14th, 2010, 04:01 PM
Threaten to slit your wrist. He'll realize that the cost of the party will probably be less than the medical bills and let you have the party.

(I'm only kidding.)

schauerlich
January 14th, 2010, 04:02 PM

When I said he should ask his father? When I said "Sent from my iPhone" has become a meme? Not really, no... basically, the form is "<snide, terse comment> \n\n Sent from my iPhone". The SFMI part just reinforces the douchebaggery already contained in the original message. :)

forrestcupp
January 14th, 2010, 04:11 PM
I mean it seems here that the main problem is money, and if he's shelled out every previous year then I guess I understand, but it is a LITTLE odd to stop at 16, which is one of those ages when most people do have parties to celebrate their birthdays!

It's also the age that kids start acting naughty and trying to do "adult" things before they're old enough.

It's not really about money. That's just a front. He's really worried that you're going to do things you shouldn't, like drinking, drugs, and getting girls knocked up. ;)

If you want a party, you can come up with a budget, but you really need to assure him from your heart that you're not going to do naughty things and trash his house.

hoppipolla
January 14th, 2010, 04:16 PM
It's also the age that kids start acting naughty and trying to do "adult" things before they're old enough.

It's not really about money. That's just a front. He's really worried that you're going to do things you shouldn't, like drinking, drugs, and getting girls knocked up. ;)

If you want a party, you can come up with a budget, but you really need to assure him from your heart that you're not going to do naughty things and trash his house.

ok there's a chance you might be right there... hehe

Seriously though man it is SO out of order to stop the second the parties start getting fun! xD

you shouldn't ever ask, just do

I don't AGREE with this comment as such but... I can see the logic! lol

mamamia88
January 14th, 2010, 04:24 PM
tell him you are throwing him a party because he's such an awesome father

madnessjack
January 14th, 2010, 04:26 PM
Rent some place out. Is it that hard??

pwnst*r
January 14th, 2010, 04:32 PM
Rent some place out. Is it that hard??

Maybe you missed the part where the OP says that he HAS NO MONEY

hoppipolla
January 14th, 2010, 04:34 PM

hahahaha post of the thread! :)

tell him you are throwing him a party because he's such an awesome father

2nd to best post of the thread! ^_^

madnessjack
January 14th, 2010, 04:44 PM

** Get a job **

It's a hard life isn't it...

Put it this way - If I had a nice clean house, I wouldn't want it wrecked by kids!

Maybe if it's you're bday you can have a party in a rented out hall or club or something as a present.

pricetech
January 14th, 2010, 04:47 PM
Has it occurred to anybody that maybe his father wants him to step and take responsibility ?? Instead of arguing with his dad he should start behaving more like the adult he is becoming, chronologically at least.

His poor grades are probably hurting his chances too. He says that's why he doesn't have time for a job, but what what else does he have time for ?? He obviously has time for the forums.

Just a few thoughts from an old geezer. Slander them if you want.

PhoenixMaster00
January 14th, 2010, 06:19 PM
Maybe because its your 16th hes planning a major surprise? (I dont know how 16th birthdays are veiwed in your country but alot normally see 16, 18, and 21 as big dates for younger people) and the risky way to do that is to get your hopes down then you will be even more surprised and elated by it.

If not then perhap[s he is expecting you to take a more hands on approach to party details, give him a precise plan of action tell him to take the night off and chill :P

Tristam Green
January 14th, 2010, 08:48 PM

Amarok 1.4 because GOD WILLS IT (sarcasm)

Ask your dad if you can have friends over. Not that big of a deal.

Schauerlich

Sent from my iPhone
My name is Tristam Green and what is this?

@OP: It's your dad's house, your options are myriad, but most of them end up with you either accepting additional responsibility or in tears, with you leaving home.

Get your grades in order. Get to know what your dad does, and figure out how last year's horrible economy impacted him. Then, think about whether or not you *really* needed that party that you've come to expect every year.

Granted, your dad enabled this unnecessary expectation by throwing you parties and tossing money your way every year of your existence...

schauerlich
January 14th, 2010, 08:53 PM
My name is Tristam Green and what is this?

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=8662071&postcount=38

Tristam Green
January 14th, 2010, 08:56 PM
http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=8662071&postcount=38

Answer the question without a link next time. I hate clicking links and I expect you to tell me what they contain, lest the link redirect me to some crazy malware site. (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1380355)

wakka wakka wakka

pwnst*r
January 14th, 2010, 10:23 PM
It's a hard life isn't it...

Put it this way - If I had a nice clean house, I wouldn't want it wrecked by kids!

Maybe if it's you're bday you can have a party in a rented out hall or club or something as a present.

Hahaha, I'm not saying I agree with the OP, far from it, considering I said the same regarding getting a job.

schauerlich
January 14th, 2010, 10:55 PM
Answer the question without a link next time. I hate clicking links and I expect you to tell me what they contain, lest the link redirect me to some crazy malware site. (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1380355)

wakka wakka wakka

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=8665426&postcount=30

lisati
January 14th, 2010, 11:01 PM

wakka wakka wakka

Wut? (http://lisati.myftp.org/whoami.php)

Edit: Just spotted a visitor!

CJ Master
January 14th, 2010, 11:59 PM

schauerlich
January 15th, 2010, 12:46 AM
Wut? (http://lisati.myftp.org/whoami.php)

Edit: Just spotted a visitor!

I'm using Safari 4 on OS X, and it reports:

Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10_6_2; en-us) AppleWebKit/531.21.8 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.4 Safari/531.21.10

lolwut? Mozilla?

lisati
January 15th, 2010, 03:47 AM
I'm using Safari 4 on OS X, and it reports:

Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10_6_2; en-us) AppleWebKit/531.21.8 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.4 Safari/531.21.10

lolwut? Mozilla?
No idea..... IE4 (when I was running Win98SE) reported "Mozilla" in some places too.

Here's the PHP script for the page for those who are interested....

<?php
// ================================================== ================
// Basic "who am I" script for web page
// ================================================== ================
?>

<html>
<head>
<title>Lisati is watching you!</title>

<br>
<STYLE type=text/css>
BODY { FONT-SIZE: 8pt; COLOR: black; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana,arial, helvetica, serif; margin : 0 0 0 0;}
</STYLE>
</head>
<body>
<center><table><tr><td>
<pre>

<b>It is very easy to learn stuff about the people who visit a web page!</b>

<?php
echo 'You use ';
echo $_SERVER['HTTP_USER_AGENT'];

?>

<?php
echo 'Your IP address is ';
echo $_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR'];
?>
<?php
echo $_SERVER['REMOTE_HOST'];
?>
</pre>
</td></tr></table></center>

</body>
</html>

Dharmachakra
January 15th, 2010, 04:45 AM
Meh. Have your friends over when he's not around. And make sure to get disgustingly drunk, just to spite him.

Matt_Johnson
January 15th, 2010, 04:47 AM
I would just use a bit of money to make some nice moonshine in the bathtub and then were good to go :popcorn:

KiwiNZ
January 15th, 2010, 05:03 AM
The topic has been lost