PDA

View Full Version : Are there standard, conventional places for Java programmers to put their code?

lkrubner
January 13th, 2010, 10:44 PM
I'm curious if there are conventions about directory use on Ubuntu, regarding Java programming? Is there a standard directory that most Java programmers use for the code they write? Are there any standard CLASSPATH locations?

myrtle1908
January 13th, 2010, 11:53 PM
I'm curious if there are conventions about directory use on Ubuntu, regarding Java programming? Is there a standard directory that most Java programmers use for the code they write? Are there any standard CLASSPATH locations?

I tend to do the following:-

/myapp
/src
*.java
/lib
third party JARs here
/bin
*.class here

This way everything is localised to the project directory which makes compiling and running simple.

Better still, use Eclipse and let it take care of it all for you ... it will build a structure similar to the above.

lkrubner
January 14th, 2010, 01:11 AM
I tend to do the following:-

/myapp
/src
*.java
/lib
third party JARs here
/bin
*.class here

Thanks much. Do you put the /myapp directory in your home directory (your login home) or do you put it elsewhere?

Bruce H
January 14th, 2010, 02:09 AM
Eclipse uses a 'workspace' concept, and will set up your project folder, by default, as:

/home/<user>/workspace

other directories such as lib and src may be created under that.

disclaimer: I am not a java programmer. I work mostly in PHP and Perl, and although I do use Eclipse for that, your results may vary.

myrtle1908
January 14th, 2010, 02:28 AM
Thanks much. Do you put the /myapp directory in your home directory (your login home) or do you put it elsewhere?

Wherever you like. Home dir is fine eg.

~/projects/java/myapp