PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] "unable to migrate to dependency-based boot system"

andypi
January 13th, 2010, 03:47 PM
I have just had an auto-update, and the process has stopped with the warning above. The full error message is given below. Anyone know what's happened here? Thanks.

I had already had problems (not sure if they're somehow resolved or related to this) with updating (see http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=8648836).

Tests have determined that problems in the boot system exist which prevent migration to dependency-based boot sequencing:

package virtualbox-ose removed but not purged, insserv: warning: script 'K20acpi-support' missing LSB tags and overrides, insserv: warning: script 'usplash' missing LSB tags and overrides, insserv: warning: script 'hwclock-save' missing LSB tags and overrides, insserv: warning: script 'acpid' missing LSB tags and overrides, insserv: warning: script 'gdm' missing LSB tags and overrides, insserv: warning: script 'failsafe-x' missing LSB tags and overrides, insserv: warning: script 'acpi-support' missing LSB tags and overrides, insserv: warning: script 'udevmonitor' missing LSB tags and overrides, insserv: warning: script 'hwclock' missing LSB tags and overrides, insserv: warning: script 'rsyslog-kmsg' missing LSB tags and overrides, insserv: script virtualbox-ose: service vboxdrv already provided!, insserv: script virtualbox-ose: service virtualbox-ose already provided!, insserv: warning: script 'dmesg' missing LSB tags and overrides, insserv: warning: script 'procps' missing LSB tags and overrides, insserv: warning: script 'atd' missing LSB tags and overrides, insserv: warning: script 'avahi-daemon' missing LSB tags and overrides, insserv: warning: script 'udevtrigger' missing LSB tags and overrides, insserv: warning: script 'apport' missing LSB tags and overrides, insserv: warning: script 'udev' missing LSB tags and overrides, insserv: warning: script 'ufw' missing LSB tags and overrides, insserv: warning: script 'rsyslog' missing LSB tags and overrides, insserv: warning: script 'anacron' missing LSB tags and overrides, insserv: warning: script 'network-manager' missing LSB tags and overrides, insserv: warning: script 'dbus' missing LSB tags and overrides, insserv: warning: script 'udev-finish' missing LSB tags and overrides, insserv: warning: script 'module-init-tools' missing LSB tags and overrides, insserv: warning: script 'hal' missing LSB tags and overrides, insserv: warning: script 'cron' missing LSB tags and overrides,

If the reported problem is a local modification, it needs to be fixed manually. If it's a bug in the package, it should be reported to the BTS and fixed in the package. See http://wiki.debian.org/LSBInitScripts/DependencyBasedBoot for more information about how to fix the problems preventing migration.

To reattempt the migration process after the problems have been fixed, run "dpkg-reconfigure sysv-rc".

andypi
January 13th, 2010, 05:23 PM
Synaptic tells me that the udev package is broken. When I tell synaptic to fix it, I get this error:

An error occurred

The following details are provided:

E: /var/cache/apt/archives/udev_150-2_i386.deb: trying to overwrite '/etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf', which is also in package module-init-tools 0

pete_m
May 31st, 2010, 01:06 PM
hi Andy Pi,

find myself in the self-same position vis a vis dependency-based boot. .
found this on Debian . .http://wiki.debian.org/LSBInitScripts/DependencyBasedBoot

i am attempting to upgrade from Karmic to Lucid/Sid..
after using a customised KarmicNBR, and experimenting with eb4( Sid-based),

after grappling with dependencies on libc6 - crucial C libraries - which seem to prevent ubuntu users from locking into Debian Sid. .( using a'hacked' mountall from launchpad PPA )
upgrade seemed to go well and then got these same error messages . . and ( debconf) frontend locks up and has to be pkllled.

apparently these init scripts do not conform to the new way of doing init.d things . .

i'm now trying a fresh upgrade . ..

aptitude safe-upgrade . .it's taking forever and has found some confilicts i've not seen what they are yet . ..

andypi
May 31st, 2010, 02:08 PM
I'm afraid I think I ended up doing the same thing. I've yet to take the plunge on Lucid, so we'll see if this thing comes up again!

Andy

pete_m
May 31st, 2010, 02:35 PM
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1454106 . . don't know why it's marked solved, unless the i person decided to just go the tried n tested clean install route . .

but at least it shows the code to put in offending init.d scripts . .if the upgrade doesn't fix things . .

Add a block like this in the init.d script:

### BEGIN INIT INFO
# Provides: scriptname
# Required-Start: $remote_fs $syslog
# Required-Stop: $remote_fs $syslog
# Default-Start: 2 3 4 5
# Default-Stop: 0 1 6
# Short-Description: Start daemon at boot time
# Description: Enable service provided by daemon.
### END INIT INFO

btw . .have you come across the libc6 stuff . .felt like the plymouth was holding the rest of the udates to ransom. .the 'hacked' mountall seems to have dealt with it and i'm now back on up-to-date( Sid/Lucid ) libc6 etc.

the original ( libc6 ) problems were with. .
consolekit, mountall, upstart, ureadahead, udev, initramfs . .

but touch wood the mountall ppa has shut those ones up ..

incidentally - in that other thread . .

ERROR:root:Installing/upgrading 'ubuntu-minimal' failed
ERROR:root:Installing/upgrading 'ubuntu-standard' failed

i did a aptitude why ( and why-not ) upstart ( one of the previously offending packages)and only ubuntu-minimal seemed to be interested. ..