PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] downloads going astray?

iggy pop
January 13th, 2010, 12:29 PM
I am running Ubuntu 9.10 (Karmic Koala) and have almost got everything to my liking except that i have configured Firefox to place any downloads into the "Downloads" folder but the downloads always end up in the /tmp folder?

While i'm here i may as well ask if anyone could point me to an easy to follow tutorial which covers how to unwrap/open and install .tar.gz files.

Thanks for any and all help as it is really appreciated.

Paqman
January 13th, 2010, 01:03 PM
I am running Ubuntu 9.10 (Karmic Koala) and have almost got everything to my liking except that i have configured Firefox to place any downloads into the "Downloads" folder but the downloads always end up in the /tmp folder?

That's odd. So you've set Firefox to download them to /home/username/Downloads? Are you sure they've finished downloading?

While i'm here i may as well ask if anyone could point me to an easy to follow tutorial which covers how to unwrap/open and install .tar.gz files.

If you're just trying to install software, that's the hard way of doing it. The easy way is to go to Applications > Ubuntu Software Centre. There's also a more in depth tool at System > Admin > Synaptic. If you can't find a suitable package through these tools then try and find a .deb file of it to download, or a PPA or other 3rd party repository to connect to. Installing manually from a tarball or other archive is the absolute last resort.

iggy pop
January 13th, 2010, 01:19 PM
The downloads have finished because a pop-up appears telling me so.

When i try to download a .deb file i go through the process of downloading only to find that the .deb file in question doesn't exist on my computer?

I have looked in the repositories but there's no sign of the software i want (Opera Browser 10.10). I have also checked out the Ubuntu Software Center but no matter how many times i click on the link it produces no response?

Paqman
January 13th, 2010, 01:40 PM
OK, let's try and get your downloads problem sorted first, that should allow you to get the proper .deb file for Opera.

In Firefox, try going to Edit > Prefs > Main, select "Always ask me where to save files" and try downloading Opera to your desktop (for example).

iggy pop
January 13th, 2010, 01:58 PM
Don't know what's going on here. I have tried what you have suggest quite a few times before and had no luck. Now today you suggested that i set it to download to the Desktop and hey presto it worked.

I now have a file called:
opera_10.10.4742.gcc4.qt3_i386.deb sitting on my Desktop.

What next please

audiomick
January 13th, 2010, 02:07 PM
right click on it. it should offer you "open with gdebi"
do that
(or maybe it is "install with gdebi")

Don't know what's going on here. the box is probably just looking for attention...;)

iggy pop
January 13th, 2010, 02:17 PM
I right-clicked on the package and then selected "open with GDebi Package Installer" as suggested but nothing happens?

audiomick
January 13th, 2010, 02:22 PM
sure?
no new entries in your applications menu?
I don't think there is all that much to see when gdebi does it's stuff...

iggy pop
January 13th, 2010, 02:31 PM
No new entries in the Application menu.
What if i used: dpkg -i opera_10.10.4742.gcc4.qt3_i386.deb?

iggy pop
January 13th, 2010, 02:42 PM
Took a chance and used sudo dpkg -i package.deb in a terminal and the output was

Errors were detected?

audiomick
January 14th, 2010, 09:59 AM
Hallo iggy pop,
Have you got this sorted out yet?

I went and got the deb packet you mentioned, although mine got itself a amd64 version, which is correct. Right click, open with gdebi, a window appeared and it installed.

As far as I can tell from reading

man dpkg
your command should have worked.

You could try downloading again. Maybe the download is corrupted?