PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu Desktop or UNR?

Puzzled Guy
January 13th, 2010, 11:37 AM
Hi

I have an MSi Wind U100. Google it.

So, if I need to reinstall Ubuntu in the future, should I install the Ubuntu Desktop version? Or should I install the Ubuntu Netbook Remix?

Which would perform better and faster for my computer?

nothingspecial
January 13th, 2010, 01:33 PM
UNR is just Ubuntu with a few extra packages. It doesn`t matter, what ever you prefer.

Puzzled Guy
January 14th, 2010, 03:45 AM
Really? If so, what are those extra packages then?

Puzzled Guy
January 14th, 2010, 04:04 AM
Oops

MelDJ
January 14th, 2010, 04:49 AM
i have come read that UNR is great on netbooks as it makes the screen more readable.
didn't try it myself, so i cant vouch for it though

Puzzled Guy
January 14th, 2010, 05:01 AM
"More readable" applies to what? The Ubuntu Classic Desktop or the Ubuntu Netbook Desktop?

Puzzled Guy
January 14th, 2010, 05:05 AM
I don't use the special "launcher" because it is too buggy, I only use the normal desktop mode.

Since I only use the regular desktop, does that mean that I might as well be using Ubuntu Desktop?

In other words, does it mean that Ubuntu Desktop should be no different from what I have now since the desktop mode that I use in the UNR is "Classic Desktop" and not "Ubuntu Netbook Desktop"?

nothingspecial
January 14th, 2010, 01:15 PM
Read this (http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/columns/ubuntu_netbook_remix_detailed_explanation)

Puzzled Guy
January 15th, 2010, 02:38 AM
So basically, UNR is just a few more packages in the system. Since I don't use the netbook launcher, I will just get the desktop version next time.

Solved