PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu_studio] Ubuntu Studio 9.10: how to output video to IEEE1394?

Pisolo
January 13th, 2010, 11:29 AM
Hi all!
I've successfully set up Studio 9.10 on my PC and i'm now happily able to produce my audio and playback it onto my Hi-Fi system, to import video from my Sony camcorder and my Pinnacle MovieBox DV (both connected via an IEEE 1394 port), and to produce my own video content.
To reach the perfection I'd like to be able to playback my video content (either during production and once finished) to my TV set through the Pinnacle MovieBox. To date I was only able to achieve it using Kino, but it means that I have to import the videos taking a lot of time and consuming huge space on the HD (with 300+ movies the space allocate will be tremendous).
I've read that Kdenlive could do the job but I was not able to find the function allowing me to stream the video through IEE 1394. I've also tried to install a multitude of video players (Winff, VLC, Totem, SMPlayer, etc.) but it doesn't seems to me that they support that function.
Does anybody know of a way to playback a standard AVI video (mainly encoded in Xvid for "portabilty" reasons) straight to the IEEE 1994 port of the PC?
Thanks in advance for your time and kindness
Ciao
Pisolo

P.S.: I reached this forum room through the Ubuntu Studio site, but I don't know if it was more appropriate to post it in the "Multimedia and video" room. If this is the case I apologize for the inconvenience.

P.P.S.: I've "googled" for a few days about this problem but the only solutions I found work under Windows, and honestly I'd really like to avoid to step back to it ;)

alegallo
January 13th, 2010, 06:51 PM
As far as I know the firewire output is thought to record the produced media to tape, and not to stream it into a viewer (of any type, in your case a TV set).

Wouldn't it be better (and easier!) to use a dual head video card and send the output directly to the TV? ;)

Ciao ciao
Ale

Pisolo
January 13th, 2010, 07:54 PM
As far as I know the firewire output is thought to record the produced media to tape, and not to stream it into a viewer (of any type, in your case a TV set).
Ale,
thanks for your reply. I know that a dual head would be ideal, but the PC I've got to do the job, and until now it's doing it very well, is an old laptop without the possibility to have composite video output. The MovieBOX DV I've got gets the DV in and splits it out into DV, S-VHS and composite video this is the reason why i'd like to use it.
On top of that the HW is working far beyond any positive expectation, the only thing I miss is a piece of software...
Ciao
Fabio

alegallo
January 13th, 2010, 10:03 PM
I see ... well, I honestly don't know, but of course it sounds logical that it's not that different to export to firewire for recording or for streaming ...
Let's wait for some experts ;)

Alla prox
Ale