PDA

View Full Version : going to karmic?

supermooshman
January 13th, 2010, 10:37 AM
hey all,

a while ago (about a month after karmic got released) I went from 9.04 unr to 9.10 unr
- it was an absolute nightmare; troubles installing, drivers hardware didn't work, desktop mode dissapeared etc. not that it withheld me from the basic computer experience, but just all small things that made my "Yeah Ubuntu" to a quiet sob in the night.

Now what I got from the forum is that every version needs a while to get all bugs out.
So my question is; how long is advisable to wait to go to the next version? and should I go to 9.10 or wait until 10.04 (in which case I should ask the first question again)

So tell me!

ndefontenay
January 13th, 2010, 10:40 AM
Hi.

if you want stability wait for the Long Term Support Release.
Otherwise Karmic is now stable. We've received 3 different kernels already. After your first update it will be much more stable.

note: I never encountered any crap with karmic on 3 different notbooks though

judge jankum
January 13th, 2010, 10:43 AM
I started with 9.04 and it worked ok....went back to Xubuntu 8.04 and it worked even better (on my machine) and I havn't came out yet lol!!! I think it's a matter of choice...They all seem good.....

Uncle Spellbinder
January 13th, 2010, 04:45 PM
...So my question is; how long is advisable to wait to go to the next version? and should I go to 9.10 or wait until 10.04 (in which case I should ask the first question again)

With the exception of the inability to use TVTime, I've had no issues at all with 9.10 since it was beta. No issues installing, no driver issues. It just worked from the beginning, worked well and continues to do so.

So, it probably depends on your system more than the version.

TheNessus
January 13th, 2010, 04:54 PM
Hi.

if you want stability wait for the Long Term Support Release.
Otherwise Karmic is now stable. We've received 3 different kernels already. After your first update it will be much more stable.

note: I never encountered any crap with karmic on 3 different notbooks though

You don't really know what "stable" means, do you? it doesn't mean that it is a more stable system! it only means the release is 'stable' with less constant updates and changes.

To the OP: did you upgrade your system or did you do a clean install? upgrading would account for most of the trouble.

FuturePilot
January 13th, 2010, 05:01 PM
If 9.04 worked for you, just stay with it. Try 10.04 when it comes out and see if it's any better than 9.10. I'm avoiding 9.10 as much as I can because of how terrible it works for me. 9.04 works perfectly for me.

The Real Dave
January 13th, 2010, 07:05 PM
I tried Karmic x86 and hated it, it was so slow compared to Jaunty x86 and the boot times were awful, almost two minutes vs Jaunty's 25 secs. Recently however, I did a fresh install of x86_64 Karmic, and wow, its fast! :D It use's more RAM than Jaunty used, but that's ok, I have plenty to spare :) Must install bootchart to see my boot-times. The only problem I've had so far is that Firefox has crashed on a couple of sites, not sure why though :roll:

MasterNetra
January 13th, 2010, 07:21 PM
My issues with Karmic have been trivial. Aside from the standard CD/DVD not unmounted when ejected. Annoying but not a killer and after install I have to enable the CD as repo to get the drivers i need for wireless and such. but meh.

dearingj
January 13th, 2010, 08:34 PM
Personally I prefer not to wait at all. I'm currently alpha testing Lucid on one of my computers, and nearly everything is working perfectly fine. The developers can't fix bugs if those bugs aren't detected.

swisscow
January 13th, 2010, 08:36 PM
Am using karmic NBR on an Acer aspire one and it's been rock solid for me.

Matt_Johnson
January 13th, 2010, 08:38 PM
Thats very odd Karmic was more reliable for me.