PDA

View Full Version : So I'm almost in tears, here.

Jackzor
January 13th, 2010, 09:14 AM
I'm a 19 year old college drop out living with my girlfriends parents....

I didn't like the whole college life so I quit. I guess I could go back but for now I just want to get a job. But thats hard where I live because there are none here.

Anyways. So the whole idea of getting certified has run through the back of my head for years now but I haven't really gone through the process of attempting it.

Now I want to and I just can't figure out where to start. I can't decide which certification I would want. I don't know where to start?

Anyone have any advice?

I know that I want to work with computers for life. But thats all I have figured out.

I just wanna fast forward life till I'm 30 years old, married with children, and a factory job at this point...

Someone help.

Techsnap
January 13th, 2010, 09:16 AM
I guess I could go back but for now I just want to get a job. But thats hard where I live because there are none here.

Best possible solution, go back but find a job at the same time, that way you've still got something to do whilst you're looking for one.

judge jankum
January 13th, 2010, 09:19 AM
You can't go wrong with going back to school" While you're there keep looking for "your" nich....I'm sure it's there...
Or you can always bag burgers....

ndefontenay
January 13th, 2010, 09:20 AM
Yes, If you have a chance to go back to school do it!
It will be much harder without school later on.

Besides the school year, if you don't like it represents just a fraction of your life but will have good long lasting effects. The opposite is true as well.

Try a few job while you're studying. It will help you decide what you like or don't.

Jackzor
January 13th, 2010, 09:25 AM
Sad thing is I didn't like school. Plus... I failed at it because I partied. I just couldn't get everything straight. Now I'm stuck. I know I at least have to sit out this semester. I can try next year going back. I guess I will. But What about the NOW part of my life. I have a few months to do nothing. Its really depressive.

I need something to do right now. Tonight, tomorrow, next week, and next month..

About getting certified.. Help me out there. I dunno where to start with that. I can't figure out What I want to do exactly. What do you think I could do to get that figured out? Have any of you gotten certified in anything? If so How did you decide? What did you google to find the right information? What would you do if you were where I am right now?

judge jankum
January 13th, 2010, 09:26 AM
Yes, If you have a chance to go back to school do it!
It will be much harder without school later on.

Besides the school year, if you don't like it represents just a fraction of your life but will have good long lasting effects. The opposite is true as well.

Try a few jobs while you're studying. It will help you decide what you like or don't.
Yeah, wut he said"

konqueror7
January 13th, 2010, 09:30 AM
mmm...going and enrolling to a full college course would be too much and would give you more stress...i would advice taking instead short and vocational courses, like 'Linux Administration' or 'Web Development', which are short and concise, getting you the skills required and land a decent job, from there on, you could then start looking for certifications to climb up the ladder.

lisati
January 13th, 2010, 09:36 AM
Go for it! Maybe part-time study to start with, and move on from there. And don't be scared to have interests beyond computers while on your journey.

judge jankum
January 13th, 2010, 09:40 AM
Old men (like me) sometimes dream dreams...A young man like you should see visions...Find your vision and go for it.....

hobo14
January 13th, 2010, 11:37 AM
Definitely go back to school. You'll have to do sh*t jobs like the rest of us students while you study (waiting, cleaning, etc...) but when you're done you'll have options that you didn't have before, and that no-one can take away.

I left school at 19, and went back at 27. I wish I hadn't left, I wouldn't still be there now! ;)

ElSlunko
January 13th, 2010, 12:26 PM
Go back to school! I know too many people who regretted not pushing themselves or having someone to motivate them to do school. #1 regret from nearly all my friends that skipped out on college.

anaconda
January 13th, 2010, 12:29 PM
I just wanna fast forward life till I'm 30 years old, married with children, and a factory job at this point...

Someone help.

Heh heh heee.. LOL.
Dont fast forward. . And especially not to a boring life.. Married with kids, and a FACTORY job.. LOL. YOu would just want to go back being 19 and free again.
Have fun when you are young. (and hopefully later too.)

A hint.
Start your own company. You don't need any certifications for that. You could eg. start solving other peoples computer problems or something.. Here they charge about 30€/hour for that....

ukripper
January 13th, 2010, 12:44 PM
Join college again and study computer science and do part time job to fuel your college fees. Then probably think of certs or land straight in job market. Lack of experience or qualification would be hard for you to get you any job in IT, considering present job slump.

Alternatively, start a business of repairing computers. This way you will have enough experience with computers and to be honest, it ain't hard.

pwnst*r
January 13th, 2010, 12:51 PM
Go back to school.

MaxCarnage
January 13th, 2010, 12:53 PM
Hi there. I'm an IT manager; have worked in computer networking (100% Cisco experience) for about ten years, the last 2.5 as the manager of an enterprise network branch for the U.S. Army (civilian).

When I am going over resumes, there are three things I look for, in this order:

1. Experience
2. Education
3. Certifications

I really don't care that much about certifications, and the rest of the industry is getting that way too. Yes, most companies will use that a baseline for weeding people out as candidates, but the fact of the matter is that once your foot is in the door experience and an ability to intelligently speak about a topic or at least show some familiarity with a technology is paramount. The last thing that I'm interested in is hiring someone that has never logged into an IOS, and a lot of the cert babies out there haven't. Just reading a book or a PDF from Pass4Sure isn't going to cut it.

So this leaves you with three options. Go back to school and get some kind of IT degree and then get an entry-level job somewhere to get the experience you need to move up. Or you could join the military (which is what I did; five years Air Force) and get training and experience at the same time. Or you could hunt down an entry-level job now that doesn't require a college degree, but you're looking at help desk ticket entry type work there.

Not that there's anything wrong with working a help desk; I personally feel that it gives people a sense of what customer service is all about and teaches you the ropes of the organization you're supporting.

Anyway, just my two cents. You're young and you have a lot of options right now, but those options will slowly disappear as you get older. Take advantage of your youth and the opportunities that you have today, or I guarantee you will regret it tomorrow.

juancarlospaco
January 13th, 2010, 02:01 PM
Be a man, study...

forrestcupp
January 13th, 2010, 02:29 PM
Sad thing is I didn't like school. Plus... I failed at it because I partied. I just couldn't get everything straight.

Hmm. I wonder if you went back to school and did what you're supposed to do in school instead of partying, you would not fail anymore, and you'd start getting everything straight? ;)

Maybe try doing school right this time. You might be less stressed and actually enjoy it more if you study instead of blowing it off. The trick is getting into a program you enjoy, like computer science or something.

DeadSuperHero
January 13th, 2010, 02:34 PM
You could do what I'm doing. I have no place in a community college, and have no money whatsoever. So I'm joining the Air Force for a 6 year stint.

Just remember, you always have options. Don't give up.

RabbitWho
January 13th, 2010, 02:51 PM
Don't go to college when you don't know what you want to do with your life, it will cost you a fortune and at the end you'll be no better off than you are now, get a horrible job cleaning toilets or something, it will give you a lot of time to think what you want to do with your life.

Maybe try doing school right this time. You might be less stressed and actually enjoy it more if you study instead of blowing it off. The trick is getting into a program you enjoy, like computer science or something.

People can't just decide to be mature out of the blue, it has to happen to them. Misery is a good way to force it.

dmizer
January 13th, 2010, 02:55 PM
I was also a college dropout. I've done well for myself, but I have TONS of experience. But, even with that experience I usually get passed over in favor of people who have a college degree. Also, even when I land jobs, I tend to be very slow in promotion, and the excuse has always been that I do not have a degree.

Only now ... after fighting for about 20 years, I can truly say that I have an education equivalent to a college degree and I can use my experience as a lever when applying for jobs and when seeking promotion.

I have no kids, I have no family, and I have no real life outside what I've done to keep my head above water. I have no real possessions, no house, no car, and I have nothing real permanent in my life. I'm happy with things this way, but it's going to be extremely rough in another 20 years when I need to start thinking about my retirement.

I've had a very unique and interesting life, but I've also had to fight every step of the way, including but not limited to ... moving all over the world, taking any job no matter what the pay, dodging the law, defaulting on loans and having the credit collectors after me, going bankrupt, living on the streets, and being disowned by my family.

My advice is the same as most people's here. Go back to college and finish. Slog through 4 years if for no other reason so that you don't have to slog through 20 instead.

P.S.
Certifications mean squat.

NoaHall
January 13th, 2010, 03:17 PM
I understand your view, it's very close to mine. However, I have a job(web design, computer repair/support). I'm also going to 6th form. I wish to leave 6th form soon, and move to Sweden. I will have a full A-Level in maths, further maths, and computing by the end of summer, as I am sitting them a year early. Hopefully I will move then, or I might stay to finish Physics and Chemistry. I'm really sick of it here, I want to move now, but I know it's not a good idea.

TBABill
January 13th, 2010, 03:39 PM
Ok, brutal honesty here. You will have to earn your way through life...meaning...you have to succeed at your attempts to excel, be motivated to excel and show proof to others (via resume, work performance, etc.) in order to gain further opportunities to excel and make more money.

I had a very high GPA in high school but hated school...go figure. I was tired of the hard work and decided to join the Navy (1988). I spent 10 years as an aviation electronics tech and loved the work, but I hated moving a lot and being away from family. So...I got out after 10 years and got lucky that my 10 years of experience counted for something. I worked for a phone company and made very good money...but those who joined the phone company without that experience got paid $10 per hour while I came in at double that rate. After 4 years in their position we all got paid the same so it was worth it for them to work hard, excel and reap the benefits of their hard work.

I then went to college in 2001. Yeah...nothing like being a father, working 1000 hours overtime per year, supporting a large family of 6 with a newborn at home and wanting to make more money to support that family. I worked 8am to 9pm almost daily (including weekends) to make overtime to provide for them. I went to school online from 9pm to almost midnight daily (including weekends). I had no choice but to excel at it because my future was riding on my success in order to move up. I hated it...every night sitting on a computer working my butt off doing what I should have done at 18. I do NOT regret my service to my country, but I do regret not going to school first. My family suffered because they lost precious family time together and I had a great deal of stress to deal with because of the added pressures of school, family and work.

My point is not to give a life story, but to show that regardless of the timing you choose to fulfill your educational needs, life keeps going. It just gets harder to wait longer because your responsibilities in life grow with jobs, family, home and other commitments. You do not have to have the answers to all your questions now, but you do have to choose a path. It doesn't have to be a permanent path, but you have to move forward AND EXCEL. Partying is fun but the pay sucks. School and hard work through jobs you learn from and grow into are what pay you through life. Don't let the peer pressure of having fun override the lifetime requirement to provide for yourself and others. Do what you need to do for you....get a decent job till you are firmly on that path and do well at it, whether you are picking up trash or building rockets. In the workplace, the only perception of you that matters is what others think of you because it is up to others to advance you in terms of position and responsibilities. Prove yourself daily and you will earn those better positions. Get the education as you can, even part time, at night, online, on campus, whatever. But get it...whether certification, qualification, experience or degree. It doesn't matter if you bring to the table a combination of successful past performance, skills gained through that performance, education or job knowledge, and most importantly, the right attitude to learn and contribute.

Sorry to ramble. It's harder to do it like I did than to commit now and buckle down for a short ride till you complete some education and gain some skills. Don't waste the days asking what to do....go do what your gut tells you is best for you. It won't just happen. "If it is to be it must be me"....words to remember during your journey.

Best of luck to you.

pwnst*r
January 13th, 2010, 04:22 PM
It just gets harder to wait longer because your responsibilities in life grow with jobs, family, home and other commitments.

Bingo. It gets exponentially harder.

ukripper
January 13th, 2010, 04:24 PM
I was also a college dropout. I've done well for myself, but I have TONS of experience. But, even with that experience I usually get passed over in favor of people who have a college degree. Also, even when I land jobs, I tend to be very slow in promotion, and the excuse has always been that I do not have a degree.

Only now ... after fighting for about 20 years, I can truly say that I have an education equivalent to a college degree and I can use my experience as a lever when applying for jobs and when seeking promotion.

I have no kids, I have no family, and I have no real life outside what I've done to keep my head above water. I have no real possessions, no house, no car, and I have nothing real permanent in my life. I'm happy with things this way, but it's going to be extremely rough in another 20 years when I need to start thinking about my retirement.

I've had a very unique and interesting life, but I've also had to fight every step of the way, including but not limited to ... moving all over the world, taking any job no matter what the pay, dodging the law, defaulting on loans and having the credit collectors after me, going bankrupt, living on the streets, and being disowned by my family.

This is the most tragic life story I have ever read on ubuntuforums.

I wish you luck mate! Hope it gets better for you now...:D

JDShu
January 13th, 2010, 04:24 PM
I know that I want to work with computers for life. But thats all I have figured out.

Since you are only 19, you have your answer right there! Go back to school and take computer related courses. Take advantage of the school's career services or get advice from a prof about what specific paths you can go. They will be glad to help.

If you are having trouble getting into a good school, many people go to community college first and then transfer.

Between now and school, do something that you might enjoy that is computer related. Learn programming by yourself or borrow a book about computer science from the library.

Viva
January 13th, 2010, 04:27 PM
Whatever you do, I hope you will be successful.

iponeverything
January 13th, 2010, 04:49 PM
I know that the military gets a bad rap sometimes, but you should consider it. It will give you chance to mature a bit and they have gotten much better at helping you pay for school after you get out.

thatguruguy
January 13th, 2010, 04:54 PM
Sad thing is I didn't like school. Plus... I failed at it because I partied. I just couldn't get everything straight. Now I'm stuck. I know I at least have to sit out this semester. I can try next year going back. I guess I will. But What about the NOW part of my life. I have a few months to do nothing. Its really depressive.

Sad thing is, a lot of people don't like their jobs, either. As it turns out, that doesn't matter. People without skill sets tend to like their jobs even less, plus the pay is crappy.

As far as the "NOW" part of your life, you need to take any job you can get, even if it's washing dishes. When you can go back to school, you need to man up and treat it like a job. Being depressed about something that you caused by not taking your life seriously is ridiculous.

Warpnow
January 13th, 2010, 05:14 PM
File a FAFSA as soon as you can for the semester you're seeking. Pell grants as high as like $2000+ a semester can sometimes be granted, you can then attend community college for like $500 a semester for 2 years, and pocket the difference. Put it into savings, and work, putting as much into savings as possible. With any luck by the time you have your basics out of the way you'll have decent savings for moving to a university.

forrestcupp
January 13th, 2010, 07:58 PM
People can't just decide to be mature out of the blue, it has to happen to them. Misery is a good way to force it.

It appeared from his posts that he was at that point. That's why I said what I said.

But I somewhat disagree. Most of the time people need to have maturity beat into them, but sometimes people choose to mature without some tragedy happening. I try to learn from other people's mistakes as well as my own.

Shpongle
January 13th, 2010, 08:45 PM
education in a must these days . trust me no well paying jobs well be attainable without it. unless you know someone and youre highly skilled

Jackzor
January 13th, 2010, 08:52 PM
Okay. So I'm down to either college or the military. I have to pick one. Now what do you guys think would be the best?

JDShu
January 13th, 2010, 08:56 PM
Okay. So I'm down to either college or the military. I have to pick one. Now what do you guys think would be the best?

Think long and hard about it, and take your time figuring it out. I don't think random people on forums can really tell you the answer.

hoppipolla
January 13th, 2010, 08:58 PM
you alright man :)

Don't sweat it, nearly everyone runs into these sorts of situations from time to time and I don't blame you for not being entirely sure what to do next!

So... why the military? How does that fit into things does it really have that much of a connection to what you wanted to do before?

I dunno man just set yourself a goal and work towards it! So say "Ideally, I would like to be a....." and then work out the steps to get there :)

alket
January 13th, 2010, 09:02 PM
Who doesn't hate college, to looong classes , studying etc. But it it isn't what we like or not .It is learning to Sacrifice if you want your Dream to Materialise.

doas777
January 13th, 2010, 09:07 PM
school is the thing to do, but you may be at the wrong place. i started at a uni that everyone knows (for their fricken fuuball team), but they were 100% theory, and refused to believe that there was such a thing as "IT" (or really anything except EE and CS/IS). I left there, and started at a community college (likely under simmilar circumstances to your break), and it was a completely different animal. it was hands on, practical, and attainable. I didn't have to take 3 years of calc to get in, and overall, it was a completely differant experience than what I had had at uni. Now, two degrees and years of experience later, I am ready for the theory, so I'm planning my masters now.

There is a lot about your story that feels fammilliar, and I think you are in much the same spot I was in 99-2000. 10 years later, my life is completely different (in a mostly positive way). it took time and effort, but work hard now, and it will pay off for you in future.

JDShu
January 13th, 2010, 09:07 PM
Who doesn't hate college, to looong classes , studying etc. But it it isn't what we like or not .It is learning to Sacrifice if you want your Dream to Materialise.

Despite constant all-nighters and feeling inferior to people that were smarter than me, college was the best time in my life :P

DeadSuperHero
January 13th, 2010, 09:12 PM

If you join the Air Force, you CAN do college while you're in. The military will pay for it. Many of their bases have colleges, so you can actually get real professors and a full education. By the time you get out after about six years, you're ready to have a job and get your life started.

the8thstar
January 13th, 2010, 09:21 PM
If you join the Army and get sent to Iraq or Afghanistan, your life expectancy will drop sharply; you may not even have time to finish your studies before something bad happens to you... Six years is a long time to get killed.

doas777
January 13th, 2010, 09:34 PM
I've seen service do great and terrible things to people. the millitary is just like school: you get out what you put in, plus interest. that interest can be paid in skill, or in pain.

my only caution, is that if you fall behind in your studies in the millitary, your MOS will be changed and you will become boots on the ground. if you though colleges were trying to railroad you into worthless degrees like art history, think about the incentive the army has to make you infantry.

Jackzor
January 13th, 2010, 09:35 PM
If you join the Army and get sent to Iraq or Afghanistan, your life expectancy will drop sharply; you may not even have time to finish your studies before something bad happens to you... Six years is a long time to get killed.

Honestly. Thats fine with me. Not that I'm depressed or ready to die. But I feel as if that would be an okay way to die.

NoaHall
January 13th, 2010, 09:37 PM
I think this thread is bordering on breaking the rules.

forrestcupp
January 13th, 2010, 09:45 PM
If you join the Army and get sent to Iraq or Afghanistan, your life expectancy will drop sharply;
I've known a few people recently who signed up for the military, then cried, whined, complained, and got really scared when they got sent to Iraq or Afghanistan. I don't get it because they signed up after the wars were going on. What do they think the military is for?

hoppipolla
January 13th, 2010, 10:07 PM
Honestly. Thats fine with me. Not that I'm depressed or ready to die. But I feel as if that would be an okay way to die.

I just hope you know what you're fighting for. Always. That's all I can say.

theDaveTheRave
January 13th, 2010, 10:26 PM
Right now you have an opportunity.....

You have 6-9 months before the next intake at university / college etc (assuming that you start in september like most other countries).

Or maybe you need to hold off for longer.

Right now you need to find what motivates you to get on. If you don't find the right motivation, you'll never get a good qualification (as you won't put in the required effort).

The right environment, and good proffessors are also important in this regard.

Unfortunately most of us don't find the professors that you see in the movies, such as the part played by Robin Williams in Dead Poets Society, and other similar movies.

If you do find a work colleague / mentor / professor that know hows to push your buttons to motivate and encourage you to be your best, don't let them go until you have achieved something that will make them proud, you will also create a lifelong friendship that will help you through the hard times.

As I say, right now you have an opportunity....

For the next year to 18 months you can do whatever you like, and you won't be "that far behind" the other universiy / college graduates. Who will probably end up taking a year out after university anyhow.

Whatever happens give yourself a true challenge to complete within the next six months (enter into a marathon or something equally crazy), this will give you something to focus on whilst you hunt down your perfect university course / job.

My personal challenge, if I haven't landed a job before then, is to compete in the Paris Triathlon (2010 if no job, 2011 if I get a job!), Bigger challenge... I want to finish in the top 15 - because I think I can!

Now I've advertised the fact to the Ubuntu forums, people are going to start asking me how the training is going!!

Good luck with your personal challenge, whatever it may be.

David

nobodysbusiness
January 13th, 2010, 10:57 PM
I'm surprised nobody's mentioned this so far, so I'll just put it out there. Work on a software project in your spare time. Let me know if you need ideas for a project; I have more ideas than I have time to pursue.

An open source project isn't something you would put on your resume, but it would be good to mention in a cover letter. I did exactly that a few months ago, and I think that it was a major factor in the folks at Canonical wanting to give me a phone interview (had to turn them down, unfortunately). I have learned a tremendous amount from the OSS projects that I've created/worked on.

MaxCarnage
January 14th, 2010, 01:44 AM
If you join the Air Force, you CAN do college while you're in. The military will pay for it. Many of their bases have colleges, so you can actually get real professors and a full education. By the time you get out after about six years, you're ready to have a job and get your life started.

The major plus to this is, if you get into the field you want to work in after "school", you'll have education plus experience. A lot of places value military experience more than any other type of work experience.

It's true that the military is not for everyone, and it's equally true that, just like everything else in life, you're only going to get out of the experience what you put into it. If there's one thing I've learned managing other people, it's that too many people expect things to just "happen" for them when it's their turn. This is not true, and never will be. You have to work for what you want, whether it's in regard to your job or anything else in life.

The sooner you realize this and put it into practice, the sooner you'll start to realize success.

lisati
January 14th, 2010, 01:55 AM
I'm surprised nobody's mentioned this so far, so I'll just put it out there. Work on a software project in your spare time. Let me know if you need ideas for a project; I have more ideas than I have time to pursue.

An open source project isn't something you would put on your resume, but it would be good to mention in a cover letter. I did exactly that a few months ago, and I think that it was a major factor in the folks at Canonical wanting to give me a phone interview (had to turn them down, unfortunately). I have learned a tremendous amount from the OSS projects that I've created/worked on.

+1. Find something to do that you can enjoy. When I was considering what to study and also when I was in full-time employment, I thought "computers"..... Later on I took up video recording as a hobby. These days I combine both interests (video editing and the occasional recording of something) and get a little bit of extra pocket money as a result.

iponeverything
January 14th, 2010, 02:47 AM

You can't live your life through fear. Guess what, you can't hide from life or death.

Old_Grey_Wolf
January 14th, 2010, 04:15 AM
I'm a 19 year old college drop out living with my girlfriends parents....

I didn't like the whole college life so I quit. I guess I could go back but for now I just want to get a job. But thats hard where I live because there are none here.

Foremost, I really don't think that the Ubuntu Forums is the best place to get advice about choices in life.

I think that there is some information missing in your post.

For example:

Why are you living with your girlfriends parents rather than your own?

If you need help with the college tuition; which I assume you do without a job, who is going to help? Your parents, the girlfriend's parents, or some other source?

What happens if the girlfriend or her parents no longer want whatever relationship you have with them?

Those possibilities may influence the decisions you have to make.

I don't think that people on a forum, with no knowledge of you, your relationships, or financial situation, can give you the correct advice for your situation.

I think that your personal friends (if you have any), your girlfriend, your family, or your girlfriend's family may offer better advice.

ASK THEM!

Chris Edgell
January 14th, 2010, 04:39 AM
Old_Gray_Wolf you DO make some very good points, even though expressed somewhat severely. And to someone sounding so darned down, I wouldn't say "if you have any friends" even though you must have meant no harm.

gungrog
January 14th, 2010, 04:42 AM
Sorry to hear about your predicament, dude.

After 'dropping out' at around your age, I spent the next couple of decades doing ***** jobs, for lousy pay. Life gets tough when you are in that groove.

So I went to university at 37, got a computer science degree and life took off from there. I've since had some really interesting work, emigrated to the other side of the world, and even managed to pay off my student loans!

I just wish I'd done it sooner....

Life is what YOU make it, so go for it. ;)

steveneddy
January 14th, 2010, 04:57 AM
Foremost, I really don't think that the Ubuntu Forums is the best place to get advice about choices in life.

For example:

If you need help with the college tuition; which I assume you do without a job, who is going to help? Your parents, the girlfriend's parents, or some other source?

What happens if the girlfriend or her parents no longer want whatever relationship you have with them?

I don't think that people on a forum, with no knowledge of you, your relationships, or financial situation, can give you the correct advice for your situation.

I think that your personal friends (if you have any), your girlfriend, your family, or your girlfriend's family may offer better advice.

ASK THEM!

Great advice!

Hear, hear!

Jackzor
January 14th, 2010, 05:38 AM

For example:

ASK THEM!

My Mother is absent, my father is 2000 miles away. I would be homeless without my Girlfriend and her family. I have lost many of my friends over the past few years because of my hatred for drugs. And my girlfriend is 17... Lol Enough said about her. Her parents.. Just kinda live. High school dropouts living off the government. The real advice that I'm looking for here is where to start with my computer career. Whats better college or just getting certified or both? What should I do first? What should I do to better myself while I wait for college to start rolling for me. Stuff like that. I'm not looking for someone to straight up say go to college, or don't go its worthless, I just want someone to tell me what options there are that I may not see. What benefits are there of either one. You see?

pwnst*r
January 14th, 2010, 05:38 AM
To sum this up, and my feelings, man up. You're not in high school and the world isn't made of fairy dust. Deal with it.

EDIT - My post is also why you should listen to old gray wolf.

OMG so harsh!! -_-

SirBismuth
January 14th, 2010, 06:21 AM
Reading through this thread, I think the the key is to get an education, either through the military or college/university. Yes, if you join the military, there is a chance of been sent to a war zone, and getting killed. But you could also get run over by a bus going to college. Obviously being in a war zone changes the odds a bit.

I went to what was called a Technikon, now called a university of technology, in South Africa, but dropped out as I had chosen the course too hastily. Since then I jumped between jobs, but have now been in my current one for just over five years. What I do isn't bad, but it does still suck that I have no formal qualifications. So as from this year I have gone back to university, albeit on a part-time, correspondence basis, studying a course that is related to my job, and also happen to be interested in advancing my knowledge in this field. If it doesn't improve my chances where I currently work, at least it will open other opportunities to me.

Yes, working and studying at the same time does require a lot of commitment (and saying no when things interfere with your study schedule), but I think it will be worth it at the end of the day.

B

chucky chuckaluck
January 14th, 2010, 09:35 AM
go back to college, but make sure you go to as inexpensive a college as you can find. lots of aimless people end up in dead end jobs they could have gotten without college and are stuck with huge loans to pay off.

Khakilang
January 14th, 2010, 09:49 AM
Don't throw away your life. In 10 years time you may have a family to support. Go back to school. Find out what you like and go for it. I too once upon a time did just that and now I regret as an old man. Like the saying do what you love best and you don't have to work for the rest of your life. Work part time study part time if your budget is tight. Best of luck.

dmizer
January 14th, 2010, 11:02 AM
What should I do to better myself while I wait for college to start rolling for me.
Never wait for anything to "start rolling for you." Life does not just happen, you have to make life happen. You must attack life with a vengeance and never quit. You only lack control of your situation if you let it be that way.

Jackzor
January 25th, 2010, 08:53 PM
I decided to go back for this spring semester!

My freshman classes:

Warpnow
January 25th, 2010, 08:59 PM
Hehe, Computer Applications, get ready to fire up windows. ;)

Congrats, though, and good job on going back.

Make sure you follow a degree plan, rather than taking random classes, too. And the best piece of advice...TALK TO YOUR ADVISOR. Advisors know all kinds of crazy **** from scholarships, to various programs, and other stuff. Pretty useful alot of the time.

forrestcupp
January 25th, 2010, 09:00 PM
I decided to go back for this spring semester!

My freshman classes:

Good for you! That's a great decision. Most people in your position don't have the guts to climb out of the rut that has been made for them. I think this time around, you won't regret it.

If it gets tough, just keep pressing on. You'll make it through and be much better off in the end.

Jackzor
January 25th, 2010, 09:03 PM
I'm actually much happier about this go around. At least this time I have a computer class. Last semester I had the same classes on in place of the computer class I had.... General Studies....Fail.

Hehe, Computer Applications, get ready to fire up windows. ;)

Congrats, though, and good job on going back.

Make sure you follow a degree plan, rather than taking random classes, too. And the best piece of advice...TALK TO YOUR ADVISOR. Advisors know all kinds of crazy **** from scholarships, to various programs, and other stuff. Pretty useful alot of the time.

I do believe I have a dusty old windows 7 partition :P

audiomick
January 25th, 2010, 10:01 PM
Good on you! I deferred in my last year (not for the first time) and didn't think I would go back. Towards the end of the year I had realised that this was not the right idea, and I went back and finished. Simply having finished the degree is one of the most important things I have done. And my degree, a BA(Music) is useless for getting a job.

Gallahhad
January 25th, 2010, 11:31 PM

I need something to do right now. Tonight, tomorrow, next week, and next month..

About getting certified.. Help me out there. I dunno where to start with that. I can't figure out What I want to do exactly. What do you think I could do to get that figured out? Have any of you gotten certified in anything? If so How did you decide? What did you google to find the right information? What would you do if you were where I am right now?

Here is a list that may be useful, I'm not sure what your aiming at exactly though:

MCSE http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/certification/mcse.aspx
A+ Certification http://certification.about.com/cs/aresources/a/aplusguide.htm
RHCE http://www.redhat.com/certification/rhce/
CCNA http://www.cisco.com/web/learning/le3/le2/le0/le9/learning_certification_type_home.html

Those 4 would be great, note they are not cheap, and most are best attained by... you guessed it... going to school.

Since your out for a semester, go get a Joe job; flip burgers, dig ditches, telemarket, nurses aide, whatever you can get your hands on; save your nickles and dimes, and keep going to school. You do not want to fast forward your life to 30 years old, 2.5 kids, a wife, a mortgage, and a sub $30k/year salary, its rough, and it is nothing at all like Roseanne (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roseanne_%28TV_series%29), it is a very difficult life, and it also means you won't be able to afford to send your own kids to school.

Go back, don't socialize at school, find friends somewhere else, be professional at school, stay outta the party scene, and get in the academic scene(you'll find some cool people there as well, and they won't puke in your car).

Good Luck
Galahad

Psumi
January 25th, 2010, 11:59 PM
"You're never too old for school."

Also,

You don't want to end up filing 10 job applications in a week (I don't even file that many in a month, or three months even! I find it rediculous that it is normal to have 10+ job applications in a week.)

GregBrannon
January 26th, 2010, 12:24 AM
Congrats on making the decision to go back to school. Work harder this time, and when you're tempted to blow off that class or test, remember what being stuck in the girlfriend's parent's basement without a job felt like.

Come back here for more encouragement when you need it!

earthpigg
January 26th, 2010, 12:29 AM
if you have the self discipline but lack the funds, join the Air Force. they will give you the money and you will have the spare time.

if you lack the self discipline, which it sounds like you do, join the Marines. they will give you the money and self discipline - you will get the spare time when your enlistment is up. you will likely have more money saved when you get out, too, due to more frequent deployments (get paid more on deployment and have very little to spend it on). avoid the marriages and brand new cars, you're saving for your edumication.

and don't do a 6 year enlistment like the guy above did, unless it's for some great training you really want. the benefits are the same.

the Army, Navy, and Coast Guard are all one form of silly compromise or another in my opinion. but that's just my opinion.

ditch the girlfriend first, though. nothing useful there.