PDA

View Full Version : Google Chrome OS is Ubuntu-Based

k64
January 13th, 2010, 06:12 AM
When I built and tested Google Chrome OS on my Acer Aspire One's 8GB SSD, here's what I found: a Linux kernel, GCC, Make, BASH, Apt-Get, and X11. Apt-Get, besides all the others, is Debian/Ubuntu-specific, and brings it down to those two distros. Next, I saw a PC World article showing off Google's absolute FIRST Chrome OS partner: Canonical!

This is really amazing to hear: that Google is a total promoter of Linux.

Dark_Stang
January 13th, 2010, 06:18 AM
I wouldn't say total promoter. It took a VERY long time before the Chrome web browser to become available to Linux users. But maybe this boost will be enough to launch Linux back into mainstream netbooks. And by mainstream I mean as a primary OS and not reserved as a splashtop on HP and Asus computers.

k64
January 13th, 2010, 07:00 AM
Personally, I think that Google may be building Chrome OS strictly for netbooks, but has something bigger for the desktop (ads for Ubuntu on YouTube, anyone?)

Riffer
January 13th, 2010, 07:33 AM
From my understanding, Google has used Ubuntu for years both as a desktop and as a server. Also a few weeks back it was revealed that Canonical was doing the heavy lifting in terms of coding for Chrome OS. And as well Ubuntu is the first to actually embed cloud services right in the Distro. With Chrome OS being a dedicated cloud OS it all makes sense.

caravel
January 13th, 2010, 10:10 AM

Google are simply milking FOSS for their own commercial reasons. The average joe, blissfully unaware that it's Linux, will go for something like this because it has google's name plastered all over it - but I seriously doubt it will really take off. It's a medium for pushing the Google Chrome browser and other google services. Google are in the ad business after all.

barnex
January 13th, 2010, 10:15 AM
Google are simply milking FOSS for their own commercial reasons.

Well, at least they do contribute something back. E.g., during their port of picasa to linux, they've committed quite a lot of bugfixes back to wine.

Hallvor
January 13th, 2010, 11:54 AM
Google are simply milking FOSS for their own commercial reasons.

Not any more than Canonical.

mikewhatever
January 13th, 2010, 12:22 PM
Google are simply milking FOSS for their own commercial reasons. The average joe, blissfully unaware that it's Linux, will go for something like this because it has google's name plastered all over it - but I seriously doubt it will really take off. It's a medium for pushing the Google Chrome browser and other google services. Google are in the ad business after all.

In the same sense, you could say Ubuntu is milking Debian, but really, that's the nature of FOSS. It's there for anyone to use, and I don't see why speak about it in such negative terms.
Google have damn good services, and does nothing wrong promoting them.

Paqman
January 13th, 2010, 12:43 PM

Or Red Hat.

Using FOSS to make money is a good thing.

caravel
January 13th, 2010, 01:19 PM
Precisely.

In the same sense, you could say Ubuntu is milking Debian, but really, that's the nature of FOSS. It's there for anyone to use, and I don't see why speak about it in such negative terms.
Google have damn good services, and does nothing wrong promoting them.
If you re-read the post in question, you will see that I did not actually state there was anything wrong with it. Nor did I use "negative terms". I said google are milking FOSS for commercial reasons - which is a true statement.

My point is that I doubt Google actually plan to release a serious product. It's most likely just a platform for their chrome browser and other products and services. google are an ad company and it suits their business needs. For what it's worth, I think it seems like a sound strategy so far.

shuttleworthwannabe
January 13th, 2010, 01:59 PM
did anyone notice how similar the Chrome OS monochrome logo looks like the Ubuntu logo?

RabbitWho
January 13th, 2010, 02:17 PM
Didn't we know this already? Maybe I saw it in a dream..

Here's another reason I love google:
http://www.euronews.net/2010/01/13/google-threatens-to-quit-china-over-censorship/

purgatori
January 13th, 2010, 02:35 PM
I wouldn't say total promoter. It took a VERY long time before the Chrome web browser to become available to Linux users. But maybe this boost will be enough to launch Linux back into mainstream netbooks. And by mainstream I mean as a primary OS and not reserved as a splashtop on HP and Asus computers.

Uh... no it didn't. It took a long time before the BETA became available by the unstable branch, and Chromium, have been available for a long time. Google are heavy promoters of Linux... my only concern is that Chrome currently runs fairly badly on Ubuntu, which is not what one would expect given that they are using Ubuntu as a platform for their Chrome OS.

barnex
January 13th, 2010, 02:47 PM
If you re-read the post in question, you will see that I did not actually state there was anything wrong with it. Nor did I use "negative terms".

I think the word "milking" was what made some people wrongfully interpret it as negative.

mikewhatever
January 13th, 2010, 08:04 PM
Precisely.

If you re-read the post in question, you will see that I did not actually state there was anything wrong with it. Nor did I use "negative terms". I said google are milking FOSS for commercial reasons - which is a true statement.

My point is that I doubt Google actually plan to release a serious product. It's most likely just a platform for their chrome browser and other products and services. google are an ad company and it suits their business needs. For what it's worth, I think it seems like a sound strategy so far.

No offense if I misunderstood, but Google milking FOSS and google's name plastered all over it didn't sound too positive to me. You are obviously entitled to your own opinion, so it's no big deal.

Shpongle
January 13th, 2010, 08:29 PM
this has been known for a while, in regards to chrome os , i think it will succeed , its google were talking about here! and chrome /chromium has already taken over safari in terms of market share!, when its stable itll start to do well , hopefully they do a lot of testing and dont rush it out!. does anyone know if apps will be available for other linux distros that are done for chrome os , more specifically will they be coded in go . id assume they would just be coded in the most convenient language and since the linux kernal is c/c++ id assume that. any ideas ?

Tibuda
January 13th, 2010, 08:34 PM
Well, at least they do contribute something back. E.g., during their port of picasa to linux, they've committed quite a lot of bugfixes back to wine.

I would not use the word "port".

RabbitWho
January 13th, 2010, 09:57 PM
Google run linux in their offices apparently.. and to my knowledge they started the whole open map business...
In 2005 only 15% of the world was mapped, this after something like what, 1000 years of cartography?
In 2009 30% of the world was mapped. Thanks to google maps. I don't know what the figure is today.

This has saved, is saving, and will save lives.

http://www.ted.com/talks/lalitesh_katragadda_making_maps_to_fight_disaster_ build_economies.html

Impulser
January 13th, 2010, 10:13 PM
Google is of course a big believer in Linux because they promote open source as most of their apps are open source like Chrome and Chrome OS. They also provide host for open source projects. Google isn't in for the money like Microsoft and Apple because they don't need the money because of how successful their advertisement system is. Google is for the improvement of technology and not just for the money like others are. Google should make a desktop version of Chrome OS with the netbook version a lot of people would love that.

And Chrome OS isn't ubuntu based. It a hole new OS from the Linux kernel.

rasmus91
January 13th, 2010, 10:33 PM
my only concern is that Chrome currently runs fairly badly on Ubuntu, which is not what one would expect given that they are using Ubuntu as a platform for their Chrome OS.

Eh, running chrome browser here. Actually it's quite a bit faster than firefox... which annoys me a little actually. haven't had any troubles.

by the way, Today i was wondering wether google would kill Ubuntu, but i guess this is my answer.
But i can't help thinking that Google might become the new Microsoft, i mean, of course closed source software and totally market control and stuff. Do you think that'll happen?

Google isn't in for the money like Microsoft and Apple because they don't need the money because of how successful their advertisement system is. Google is for the improvement of technology and not just for the money like others are.

Hmm... There must be something for them. But microsoft are trying to get people to use bing. one of my friends who is a Microsoft partner said that they could, by some of theyre license agreements with the Media, force the news networks to optimize for Bing instead of google, is that possible?

i mean, to me, bing is one big ******* joke...

phrostbyte
January 13th, 2010, 10:44 PM

Well, besides Google being a $200 billion dollar megacompany. :) Google makes most of it's money from ads, but even if you ignore that the money Google makes from corporate services alone beats Canonical by an order of magnitude. :D

But yeah Google is the open source success story. They built their whole company on Linux and FOSS. And they take advantage of the source aspect of open source too, for customisation of the software to their needs. They contribute to open source too, even when it's not required by the license.

k64
January 13th, 2010, 11:57 PM
If Google Chrome OS isn't based on Ubuntu, then explain X11, Apt-Get, and Canonical being their first "Chrome OS Partner".

Mr. Picklesworth
January 14th, 2010, 12:30 AM

And, uh, this whole thing: http://code.google.com/soc/

In my opinion, Chrome for Linux is actually a proper port, taking into account the intricacies of the particular platform. This is different from Opera and Firefox, for example, which are functional (and in Firefox's case fairly well adjusted) but definitely not tailored to the platform. Chrome's way here takes longer, sure, but the end result is a stronger product for each platform. One that, for example, points you to desktop proxy settings the right way, follows important interaction conventions like releasing popup menus when the mouse is held and then released (since said menu is done with GTK), using a normal GTK text box widget for the address bar and allowing the user to switch tabs by rolling the mouse wheel over them.

Anyway... sorry. back on topic!

Here you go: http://blog.canonical.com/?p=294

I remember reading that at UDS, then looking around and realizing how many Google people there were, then going "Aha!"
It was pretty cool :)

By the way, fun trivia: you can run a lot of the ChromeOS components on your existing Lucid desktop. I built and ran its window manager (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=8541274#24) (and lived to tell the tale), for example.

l-x-l
January 14th, 2010, 12:39 AM
In my opinion, Chrome for Linux is actually a proper port, taking into account the intricacies of the particular platform. This is different from Opera and Firefox, for example, which are functional (and in Firefox's case fairly well adjusted) but definitely not tailored to the platform.

What do you mean by this statement? How is a functional Firefox or Opera not a "proper port"?