PDA

View Full Version : Absolulute newbie, first time user. Need assistance.

DJFenderStradt
January 13th, 2010, 04:49 AM
Hello, all.

This is my first time on a Linux platform, so please understand that acronyms, short-hand and any knowledge or common vernacular you would expect one to have is almost certainly not known by me.

That out of the way now, I have a question.

I downloaded and implemented the Windows Installer. It went through its process and got to the point in the installation where I was given a text box that was advertising the features of Ubuntu. Meanwhile, the install was being verified by the system.

After the verification, the screen went to black, brought up a white Ubuntu logo, and then GNU GRUB 1.94 came up and gave me a list of commands that were brought up by pressing TAB. The commands ranged from "boot", "sleep", "source", "configfile", etc, all in a section of text a paragraph long.

Now, I typed and entered "Boot" with no results, or at least, unsatisfactory results.

What exactly is going on? Have I made a mistake?

Thank you.:)

plusnplus
January 13th, 2010, 06:16 AM
Hi DJFenderStradt,
I recommend install from cd-rom. it much more easy and higher successfull chance.
in your case, maybe it is about hardware compatibility issue.
try to download alternate version of ubuntu. that version help me alot when i can't install using ubuntu desktop version.

wlraider70
January 13th, 2010, 07:15 AM
use a "live disk"
go here
http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download
burn the iso to a disk and boot that.