PDA

View Full Version : Darn you KDE 4.4! You and your .kde directories!!!!

hoppipolla
January 13th, 2010, 03:29 AM
This is one of the only things I'm sometimes not huge on about KDE, although to be fair it must be said that usually new versions are compatible with old .kde directories, and this IS just the RC 1. But I bunged 4.4 on here from the Kubuntu beta repos and it didn't like my old 4.3.x .kde directory very much ._.

KDE totally broke, Amarok kinda messed up a bit, umm.. yeah, suckiiiiness!

Oh well, I've renamed .kde and .kderc for now, let's see how puurrrrdy it looks when I boot back into it (I've been using Gnome and XFCE for a couple of days!)

Hoppi!

~sHyLoCk~
January 13th, 2010, 03:37 AM
Isn't that sortof obvious, since they have changed a lot from 4.3.x to 4.4. Even sometimes, upgrading from 4.3.1 to 4.3.2 to 4.3.3 required rm -rf ~/.kde for some people n various distros.

Xbehave
January 13th, 2010, 03:53 AM
Isn't that sortof obvious, since they have changed a lot from 4.3.x to 4.4. Even sometimes, upgrading from 4.3.1 to 4.3.2 to 4.3.3 required rm -rf ~/.kde for some people n various distros.
Upgrading your computer shouldn't require erasing your settings, so NO it's not obvious, in fact it shouldn't be that way this is a bug! Forward migration should be a well supported process, if you install a newer version of Firefox you get a migration assistant to make sure everything still works. TBH backwards migration could also be supported because kde4.4 can leave instructions for downgrading configs, but I appreciate that it would be tricky and so probably won't happen.

While there may be problems going from release->betas, it's not "obvious" and bug reports should be filed, unfortunately most "beta testers" these days are too selfish/lazy and just go for the quick fix and remove the whole dir, the correct thing to do is moving files about till you pin point the problem then file a bug report (either with kubuntu or as kde is pretty untouched straight to kde). If you don't want to test the software then don't install it!!! :mad:

~sHyLoCk~
January 13th, 2010, 03:56 AM
Upgrading your computer shouldn't require erasing your settings, so NO it's not obvious, in fact it shouldn't be that way this is a bug!

Exactly! Since this has been the trend with KDE, we can all agree that KDE is buggy as it makes you delete your settings, hence it's obvious that you have to do the same for 4.4 as well!

sandyd
January 13th, 2010, 04:00 AM
This is one of the only things I'm sometimes not huge on about KDE, although to be fair it must be said that usually new versions are compatible with old .kde directories, and this IS just the RC 1. But I bunged 4.4 on here from the Kubuntu beta repos and it didn't like my old 4.3.x .kde directory very much ._.

KDE totally broke, Amarok kinda messed up a bit, umm.. yeah, suckiiiiness!

Oh well, I've renamed .kde and .kderc for now, let's see how puurrrrdy it looks when I boot back into it (I've been using Gnome and XFCE for a couple of days!)

Hoppi!
same problem. ended up uninstalling and downgrading

hoppipolla
January 13th, 2010, 04:25 AM
Ok being back on here has reminded me why I love KDE so much!

4.4 is so beautiful! So beautiful! :o

A little buggy but...

so beautiful! ^_^