PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Frozen at installation

maxwinter2001
January 13th, 2010, 03:04 AM
I'm installing Ubuntu for the first time, do not yet have an internet connection hooked up, 'll be hooking up via a TrendNet card once Ubuntu is through installing, I(I'm using a friend's computer to write this), and at the 34% mark under "Copying files" it freezes. The horizontal brown and tan striped pole is no longer moving, the mouse arrow is frozen. Anyone have any suggestions? Should I do a forced reboot, (i.e., unplug it if it does not respond to the power switch -- I haven't done anything yet)? Should I give it longer and see what happens? It's been about 45 minutes so far. The Computer is an old Gateway with a Pentium 4 that was made for Windows XP, but I had Ubuntu erase those files. Anybody?

sandyd
January 13th, 2010, 03:07 AM
I'm installing Ubuntu for the first time, do not yet have an internet connection hooked up, 'll be hooking up via a TrendNet card once Ubuntu is through installing, I(I'm using a friend's computer to write this), and at the 34% mark under "Copying files" it freezes. The horizontal brown and tan striped pole is no longer moving, the mouse arrow is frozen. Anyone have any suggestions? Should I do a forced reboot, (i.e., unplug it if it does not respond to the power switch -- I haven't done anything yet)? Should I give it longer and see what happens? It's been about 45 minutes so far. The Computer is an old Gateway with a Pentium 4 that was made for Windows XP, but I had Ubuntu erase those files. Anybody?
hold down alt+printscreen.
Then press these keys in sucession (don't hold them)
R+E+I+S+U+B

if that doesn't work (which is unlikely)
then unplug

Then boot up to the Ubuntu cd again and choose "check cd for errors"/\.
you may have a bad disk

maxwinter2001
January 13th, 2010, 03:24 AM
No response whatsoever, (but thanks for trying). However, given how long it seems to take to do antything while still working off the CD, I think I'll give it a little more time before unplugging.

sandyd
January 13th, 2010, 03:42 AM
No response whatsoever, (but thanks for trying). However, given how long it seems to take to do antything while still working off the CD, I think I'll give it a little more time before unplugging.
means its a kernel crash.
time to unplug....
p.s. did you ever check the RAM either?