PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] What to Expect from NVidia and Ubuntu

togril2010
January 13th, 2010, 02:58 AM
HI.
I have an GT 8600m card in my macbook pro (3.1) with Ubuntu Karmic fully updated and the 190.xx drivers from nvidia (installed by adding the repostitory key) and before the 185.xx. (like this:http://www.webupd8.org/2009/08/how-to-install-nvidia-190xx-drivers-in.html)

I work in image, both 3d and 2d and want to adopt Linux for my own moral reasons, but I am really concerned about the quality of the graphics.

I get tearing in video for example - really serious as I wouldn't know if it's a currupted frame or the playback. (Have tried a few "fixes": vsync off, composite disabled in xorg) but can't really fix it, and there seems to be many opinions.

In general just moving a terminal around the screen invokes tearing. Like I'm back in windows 95!

This is a laptop I realise, but I will be buying a pc and have a big macpro at the uni I work at.

So the questions:
1. What can I really expect from ubuntu / nVidia, as the many posts on this alarm me
2. Can I fix it betterer?
3. Is there an easy way to revert ALL my nvidia stuff to the installation default? Should I revert to 185 drivers?

ps: be kind I am a.....noob :(
AND: Thanks in advance:D

Yellow Pasque
January 13th, 2010, 03:03 AM
What?

togril2010
January 13th, 2010, 03:33 AM
er....Thanks.

OK: how about this:

1.Am I to expect video tearing as standard with the current drivers? ( i know this is proprietry driver issue.

2.Should I expect the display to work somewhere in the region (quality wise) to osx or windows?

3. Should I be alaremd at the number of posts reagding video issues for future use of this OS, because If I am to learn this stuff I might as well change now to another distro? especially if I install on a pc (maybe get an ATI card?) or dual boot my work machine)

4. What is the easiest way to revert and clean up my nVidia files with doing a clean install of ubuntu?